Shelby GT350 Mustang Track Ready with 500HP

Hmmm, I've never seen one of those. You don't happen to have a video of said Ferrari on said racetrack, do you?

What a coincidence..........

(timecode not working - jump to 7:25 for some glorious FPC engine sounds)

Edited by akirby

speaking of shifts, someone mentioned the GT350 might be available with an automatic trans. Any chance Ford might contract out and get one of those better DCTs that seem to be popular and effective in high end sports cars? A traditional slushbox seems abolutely wrong for this application.

Edited by jpvbs

speaking of shifts, someone mentioned the GT350 might be available with an automatic trans. Any chance Ford might contract out and get one of those better DCTs that seem to be popular and effective in high end sports cars? A traditional slushbox seems abolutely wrong for this application.

No automatic will be offered.

No automatic will be offered.

As much as I hate that there won't be an automatic (I would love to have one of these some day, and if I got a stick, I would have to teach my wife to drive a stick), it makes complete sense. I mean, seriously, with that sound, and the rev-happiness of that FPC, putting an automatic in it would not be doing it justice.

• Like 1

to me personally whta I find the most impressive is how they pushed the envelope. I mean the easy out would have just been slap a blower on the top and tweek suspensions....instead flat plane and magna shocks...how AWESOME is that...cudos to the engineers for going a riskier route...

and when it downshifts.... :drool:

only Ferraris I tracked were up to the and including 348 models when autos were a no show, I LOVED the chrome grate...it forced precision....that said I can see the undoubted advantage of a well sorted paddle arrangement on the track.....even back then though, when those engines hit cam all hell and a grin broke loose, the soound is/ was AMAZING......

As much as I hate that there won't be an automatic (I would love to have one of these some day, and if I got a stick, I would have to teach my wife to drive a stick), it makes complete sense. I mean, seriously, with that sound, and the rev-happiness of that FPC, putting an automatic in it would not be doing it justice.

I agree with you 100%. Back when I was married, I ended up teaching the wife how to drive it on an F-150 I had at the time, so she didn't kill the Mustang I had when she started driving it. (A little adaptation was necessary going from truck to muscle car, but it was easy).

Also, as a side note, I know I'll ruffle some feathers by posting this, but...wait, hold on a sec... <PUTS ON FLAME SUIT>... There is a certain "image" (street cred) that goes along with a performance car (or hi-po version of) that comes manual only. Ford is very aware of this, as has been heard mentioned by a few Ford people over the years, ergo why SVT Cobras, SVT Cobra Rs, and GT500s have always been stick-only propositions. (And, to their credit as well, despite it being the number one requested option from owners every year, Chrysler refuses to offer one on the Viper).

I seriously hope they never offer autos of any kind with these types of cars.

Edited by OHV 16V
  • Like 1

only Ferraris I tracked were up to the and including 348 models when autos were a no show, I LOVED the chrome grate...it forced precision....that said I can see the undoubted advantage of a well sorted paddle arrangement on the track.....even back then though, when those engines hit cam all hell and a grin broke loose, the soound is/ was AMAZING......

Dean - that Ferrari was downshifting all by itself in full auto mode. Even the pros don't bother trying to use the paddles. It's that good.

I agree with you 100%. Back when I was married, I ended up teaching the wife how to drive it on an F-150 I had at the time, so she didn't kill the Mustang I had when she started driving it. (A little adaptation was necessary going from truck to muscle car, but it was easy).

Also, as a side note, I know I'll ruffle some feathers by posting this, but...wait, hold on a sec... <PUTS ON FLAME SUIT>... There is a certain "image" (street cred) that goes along with a performance car (or hi-po version of) that comes manual only. Ford is very aware of this, as has been heard mentioned by a few Ford people over the years, ergo why SVT Cobras, SVT Cobra Rs, and GT500s have always been stick-only propositions. (And, to their credit as well, despite it being the number one requested option from owners every year, Chrysler refuses to offer one on the Viper).

I seriously hope they never offer autos of any kind with these types of cars.

I get this, but it is kind of 20th century thinking. While I think they just about as boring as a regular auto, the good paddle shift transmissions out perform the best manual shifters. Traditional manuals in sports cars are starting to look old fashion to a lot people.

I get this, but it is kind of 20th century thinking. While I think they just about as boring as a regular auto, the good paddle shift transmissions out perform the best manual shifters. Traditional manuals in sports cars are starting to look old fashion to a lot people.

And the Ultimate Driving Machine has been trying to phase the manuals out of its M cars, even in Europe, from what I'm told.

Why would it having a modern automatic(converter or DCT) prevent this sensation? The modern transmissions are much more accurate at matching engine speed and revolutions than a manual, up or down the gear set. Porsche's PDK, Audi's DCT, BMW's M Sport DCT and some of the modern 8-speeds from BMW, VW, and now GM with the upcoming Z06, are nothing like slushboxes from a decade ago.

The characteristics of a FPC engine would fit perfectly with a transmission that has an almost constant connection to the rear wheels, thanks in part to the lightening fast shifts and the low-inertia clutches found in something like a DCT.

There's no reason to not offer this at least as an option other than cost(which they will pass on to us anyway), especially when the take rate will much higher for the more expensive automatic. For reference, 60% of all Stingrays sold are with automatics and that one is with the 6-speed "slushbox", and not the 8-speed that GM developed with the Z06, which will be offered in the base Corvette next year.

What I find most interesting is that on every Mustang Forum that I frequent, there are several threads about the GT350 specifically, that want an automatic option. Obviously Ford should make no decisions based on mere forum posts(lulz!) but I don't ever remember there being this much talk about an automatic in one of Ford's performance cars.

Edited by GT-Keith

Why would it having a modern automatic(converter or DCT) prevent this sensation? The modern transmissions are much more accurate at matching engine speed and revolutions than a manual, up or down the gear set. Porsche's PDK, Audi's DCT, BMW's M Sport DCT and some of the modern 8-speeds from BMW, VW, and now GM with the upcoming Z06, are nothing like slushboxes from a decade ago.

The characteristics of a FPC engine would fit perfectly with a transmission that has an almost constant connection to the rear wheels, thanks in part to the lightening fast shifts and the low-inertia clutches found in something like a DCT.

There's no reason to not offer this at least as an option other than cost(which they will pass on to us anyway), especially when the take rate will much higher for the more expensive automatic. For reference, 60% of all Stingrays sold are with automatics and that one is with the 6-speed "slushbox", and not the 8-speed that GM developed with the Z06, which will be offered in the base Corvette next year.

What I find most interesting is that on every Mustang Forum that I frequent, there are several threads about the GT350 specifically, that want an automatic option. Obviously Ford should make no decisions based on mere forum posts(lulz!) but I don't ever remember there being this much talk about an automatic in one of Ford's performance cars.

Because it is not about how much better auto's have gotten. It is about a perceived exclusiveness that not just any driver could hop in and drive it. It says this is a car for people who want to be as involved as possible in the driving experience. There is nothing like shifting for your self driving on a hilly curvy road ( without a poker in front of you of course). Not really sure why someone who wanted any of these stick only cars would not buy them for that reason alone.

• Like 1

Check out his excerpt from this article published in 2012 http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/19/us/manual-car-question-comeback/

"The percentages may seem small, but with nearly 12.8 million cars sold in the U.S. last year, those sales add up to more than a half million manuals."

I guess one could conclude if they were to offer an automatic on the GT350, there might be more takers.for the auto than a stick. Does anyone on this site have the stats for manual versus automatic on the regular Mustangs?

Edited by Dave-S