SOURCE: FORD TO DISCONTINUE V8 MOTORS IN MUSTANG, F-150 AFTER 2017, WILL RUN 4-CYLINDER AND V6 ECOBOOST EXCLUSIVELY

I highly doubt this also, Ford wouldn't spend probable billions of they know they can't sell a certain engine past 5 years of release, it maybe a little truth to it imo as more attention is the the EB .

You would had heard similar claims at GM and Chrysler by now if its CAFE.

The Essex Plant investment in 2010 for Coyote was $570 million, not billions.

What;s more, all of that investment has been heavily amortized by usage in F150 and Mustang.

Ford has already said that mustang is a heritage vehicle and will continue for as long as buyers want it.

Yes, the V8 will be marginalized in the next 5 or so years. Hey, it is no longer a mainstream engine except in pickups and certain performance cars. And in pickups, it is becoming less mainstream every year. And what does it matter? As long as the performance is there, what's the big deal? I mean look at some of the comments in the thread on the V8 pickup challenge as an example - why was the EcoBoost V6 not included, it exceeds most V8 performance- who cares about the number of cylinders or the arrangement as long as the performance is there.

And go back in history, if Henry had his way, there would have been no Ford V8, the V8 was a fallback after the X8 did not pan out.

Edited by lfeg

who cares about the number of cylinders or the arrangement as long as the performance is there.

Lots of people are going to bitch and complain because it won't sound like a V8, but I think it will eventually be like the change from Carbs to EFI in the Mustang in the mid-1980s

Another thing...just looking at the Mustang and F-150 programs holistically...In 2011, 55% of Mustang sales where V6 and I believe that in the past couple years, the Ecoboost V6 and the regular 3.7/3.5L V6 made up more then 50% of F-150 sales. Given the addition of the Ecoboost 2.3 I4 in the Mustang (better then the 3.5L) and the 2.7L V6 in the F-150, I think we might see sales go even higher of these smaller engines,with the total Mustang sales being closer to 60% Ecoboost/V6 and the F-150 even going higher then that.

I don't think 30K V8 Mustangs of 5.0L and 5.2L sizes are going to have a huge impact on Fleet CAFE ratings, when that is maybe 1% of total Ford sales?

Cute how it's phrased, "EPA is the reason Ford is phasing out their V8's". Hmmm it's really, "Ford CHOOSES to phase out their V8 because they can't make it efficient enough to comply". Not sure how much tech you could add to it but more gears in the tranny, maybe cylinder de-activation might eek out a bit more. If anything, Ford is demonstrating that a EB V6 can do the same, if not more than their own V8s. And let that sink for a few years and consumers will be able to swallow it. Only one issue being jeopardized is the historical value of the Mustang and F150 having a V8 and being known for it, for various reasons. So if an EB V6 will be "IT", how much power can you eek out of it? How much bigger can you increase the engine to, 4.0L ?+

Cute how it's phrased, "EPA is the reason Ford is phasing out their V8's". Hmmm it's really, "Ford CHOOSES to phase out their V8 because they can't make it efficient enough to comply". Not sure how much tech you could add to it but more gears in the tranny, maybe cylinder de-activation might eek out a bit more. If anything, Ford is demonstrating that a EB V6 can do the same, if not more than their own V8s. And let that sink for a few years and consumers will be able to swallow it. Only one issue being jeopardized is the historical value of the Mustang and F150 having a V8 and being known for it, for various reasons. So if an EB V6 will be "IT", how much power can you eek out of it? How much bigger can you increase the engine to, 4.0L ?+

Why would you ever need more than 600 hp in a mainstream street vehicle?

Cute how it's phrased, "Ford CHOOSES to phase out their V8 because they can't make it efficient enough to comply"

When it's really, "Ford CHOOOSES to deemphasize their V8 because not many customers want to pay for a CAFE compliant V8"

If that's true, the whole performance division at GM is hosed. Corvette dead, Camaro dead.

First thing that came to my mind - Is this a Ford exclusive problem or are GM, Dodge, Jeep, and others all on the same path? In that case, Ford clearly has jump with moving to smaller engines with the same or better power. As noted above, GM/Chevy would be in the biggest bind. Comments?

Edited by Kev-Mo

First thing that came to my mind - Is this a Ford exclusive problem or are GM, Dodge, Jeep, and others all on the same path? In that case, Ford clearly has jump with moving to smaller engines with the same or better power. As noted above, GM/Chevy would be in the biggest bind. Comments?

I actually had Chryco in my original edit of my post before I took it out. Didn't want to appear to be too much of a Ford fanboi , Chryco hater.

GM is probably ok. They sell plenty of cars to offset pickup trucks for CAFE purpose.

FCA is in more dicey situation because its heavy reliance on trucks and SUVs, hence why it is the only one out of the Big 3 trying to push diesel pickup trucks and SUVs. It is a quick fix to their problem.

But one thing to remember... CAFE is not a hard cap. Car companies can go way under CAFE and they do it all the time... they just pay a fine. It's cost of doing business. For example, Daimler has no hope of meeting 2017 CAFE with all the gas guzzling luxury cars and SUVs they sell so they are not even going to try... they are just going to pay the fines.

GM is probably ok. They sell plenty of cars to offset pickup trucks for CAFE purpose.

FCA is in more dicey situation because its heavy reliance on trucks and SUVs, hence why it is the only one out of the Big 3 trying to push diesel pickup trucks and SUVs. It is a quick fix to their problem.

But one thing to remember... CAFE is not a hard cap. Car companies can go way under CAFE and they do it all the time... they just pay a fine. It's cost of doing business. For example, Daimler has no hope of meeting 2017 CAFE with all the gas guzzling luxury cars and SUVs they sell so they are not even going to try... they are just going to pay the fines.

I thought the fines were going to go away in '17 or something like that, and either you met the regs or you don't sell vehicles. I could be wrong, but I thought that was pointed out on here before??

You're probably right, but Chryco has a problem with that old iron-block Hemi with 2 plugs per cylinder, 2 valves and no Direct Injection, the future looks less than stellar from a CAFE POV, IMHO. :)

Wasn't the next big move from Dodge/Jeep to make the Durango into a re-run of the Jeep Grand Wagoneer? Potential Customers would assume the Hemi - what else would they have to power a nearly full size loaded 4WD unit like that?

I thought the fines were going to go away in '17 or something like that, and either you met the regs or you don't sell vehicles. I could be wrong, but I thought that was pointed out on here before??

I don't know the timing but that's what I heard. Of course I heard it here so we could both be wrong.

Well, this would further explain why the GT is a Eco boost v-6.

While I doubt the GT will ever reach sales levels to affect Ford's CAFE numbers, (hey, it would be nice) there may be some truth to using that platform to help gain acceptance of high performance V-6 engines. "If it's good enough for the GT it's good enough for the Mustang".

• Like 1

You can still be fined for falling out of compliance, but they made compliance much easier. It's now $5.50 * US production for each tenth of a gallon outside of compliance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy

Also the Germans have been given some leeway in how soon they have to meet the standards.

GM's pushrod engines have an advantage with regards to CAFE: It's easy to integrate 'variable displacement' (cylinder cut-off) in a pushrod engine. It can be done with an OHC design, but it gets complex and expensive. After a rocky start, GM's 'Displacement On Demand' engines work pretty good these days.

Nonetheless, I doubt GM will offer V-8's in anything other than Corvettes and Camaros going forward. Trucks will probably retain V-8's, particularly 3/4 ton and larger.