The Official Crazy Go-Nuts Bronco Speculation Topic

Recently, our illustrious leader said that Ford was going to relaunch the Bronco.

Yesterday, Pete D. posted this tidbit:

But I can assure you that the monopoly that FCA has in the market with its Jeep brand – particularly with the Wrangler – is coming to an end, and sooner than most in this industry may think, I might add.

There are two manufacturers in the deep planning and development stages to build a direct competitor to the Wrangler as you read this. And a third has taken a program off of the shelf, dusted it off and is now planning to accelerate the development of its own Wrangler beater.

So, go nuts.

http://www.autoextremist.com/

Mr Lane dropping info to us on the new GT, the new Continental, and NOW a new Bronco? He's trying to break the damn Internet!

With that said, I'm curious as to what underpins this. "Sooner" (per Pete) would point me towards an F-Series origin. The new RWD utility platform is still a few years off.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

How about using parts from Troller to start with?

Ford-Troller-T4-01-626x382.jpg

I know it has to be pretty rough around the edges from being from Brazil, but hey its better starting point then anything else in the fleet.

Its not like the Wrangler offers that much better in refinement from my experience...

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 1

Full speculation mode on :headspin:

The "two" manufacturer "deep" into planning and development is obvious given what we know... GM already on the record as saying they want to do a Wrangler like vehicle for GMC; and Ford Bronco whispers from Robert.

The third company... maybe Toyota? They are probably looking around saying there is money to be made on a new 70 series Land Cruiser after seeing how much profit they made on the FJ.

As far as Bronco goes, there are a few options but I will go out on a limb and say it will be a 4 door utility vehicle similar to Wrangler Unlimited... the 2 door SWB version will put too much strain on CAFE. The options:

F-150 platform - think Raptor-lite... Shortened chassis and aluminum body with 4 cylinder engine.

T7 Ranger platform - this will be the next generation Everest but with more "heritage" Bronco like styling. i.e. more expansive fenders and soft top option. Ford can sell the Everest in the rest of the world and sell the Bronco in North America.

D6 platform - this will make it unibody and we really don't know enough about D6 to know how capable offroad it will be.

How about using parts from Troller to start with?

Ford-Troller-T4-01-626x382.jpg

I know it has to be pretty rough around the edges from being from Brazil, but hey its better starting point then anything else in the fleet.

Its not like the Wrangler offers that much better in refinement from my experience...

The current Troller is a dead end product that is too expensive to upgrade to meet US and EU crash safety standards. But that doesn't mean the future Troller is not going to figure into this discussion.

Ford can probably include the Troller in the T7 Ranger program, and that may be what the Bronco will become.

The "two" manufacturer "deep" into planning and development is obvious given what we know... GM already on the record as saying they want to do a Wrangler like vehicle for GMC; and Ford Bronco whispers from Robert.

The third company... maybe Toyota?

That's how I read it.

I don't think any other manufacturers in the US market have the wherewithal and the institutional know-how to do a serious off-roader.

If Ford sees an opportunity to make a fairly compact yet capable 4x4 that borrows many components form the various CUVs yet is on a platform that would be worthy of a real "1st gen Bronco" successor, I think they'd have plenty of buyers in the US, South America, and Australia at the very least. There is a crowd that really wants the Bronco to return (judging by the number of social media wishful renders I keep seeing), so maybe Ford can find a niche justification.

And a third has taken a program off of the shelf, dusted it off and is now planning to accelerate the development of its own Wrangler beater.

The Hummer H4 was greenlighted before Hummer went bye bye (Hx concept pictured...basis for the H4).

Hummer-H4-Price-489.jpg

Edited by Intrepidatious
  • Like 1

Well this could explain the SUV I saw pulling out of Enterprise Dr this morning in super heavy camo onto Southfield. I really need to keep my SLR in my car...

I think the other issue is what plant would it be built at, and does Ford want to bring the Ranger/Everest to the Americas as well. With a Troller/Bronco/Ranger/Everest plant you have about 300,000 units. With the ATP's the Everest / Bronco could bring would make it worth it.

Also there would have to be a 4-door version and those would end up being the bulk of the units sold. Just look at Jeep the Wrangler.

Edited by jasonj80