Most popular vehicle by state

This data from IHS only considers vehicle registrations to individual (retail) customers. If fleet registrations were included as well, "Ford blue" would encompass a much larger proportion of the map. Ford is the #1 brand and F-150 the #1 nameplate in the U.S. light vehicle fleet market.

So all the people that live in snowy mountains that actually need awd and cuv's.........are choosing to drive wagons? But BON teaches me that wagons are dead and nobody wants them?

It's a limited market, and costs too much as far as Ford management is concerned, to bring the Mondeo wagon over to North America, for the amount of revenue it can return.

The Dodge Magnum wagon didn't last, unfortunately, with the result that the Chrysler version sold in Europe got canceled too, because it appears that Chrysler could not justify the cost of a whole new set of new wagon stamping dies with the recent 300 re-fresh.

It appears that most people prefer the increased roof height that CUV's and minivans offer. Those that don't, have VW and Subaru wagons at the less expensive end of the spectrum, and Audi, BMW, M-B and Jaguar at the "shooting brake" high-end to choose from.

IMHO, we are more likely to see an MKZ or MKS "shooting brake" appear, but I could be mistaken. :)

What-the-Vermont?

Yea... there must be something wrong with the data.

I also refuse to believe the most popular new vehicle for retail sales in Delaware (Delaware!) is Silverado. It's possible the Delaware data includes commercial fleets because all the Corporations that are headquartered in Delaware and may have their vehicles registered there for whatever tax reasons.

So all the people that live in snowy mountains that actually need awd and cuv's.........are choosing to drive wagons? But BON teaches me that wagons are dead and nobody wants them?

Most of Colorado lives in the Front Range (Pueblo to Fort Collins). Generally speaking, it's flat as a pancake.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Denver,+CO/@39.6806299,-104.480203,8z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x876b80aa231f17cf:0x118ef4f8278a36d6!5m1!1e4

Hondu i'm not surprise as millions of people live in Virginia in the DC area and it's almost an requirement to have an import. Ford use to dominate this area but you'll still see some Fords sprinkled in the sea of imports.

GM domination of the lake states is no mistake either as I drove to Ohio and I was quite shocked of the amount of GMs in the area, one import, barely saw any Ford or Mopar either.

Ford (as well as the other domestics) need to take back the coastal states with more aggressive products.

With decades of eyewitness evidence, I am absolutely not surprised by Virginia.

Virginia is different, damn near everyone here isn't from here. The federal government owns and operates Virginia. North near DC is where 6 of the top 20 wealthiest counties in the country are. All down the east coast are massive federal government facilities like the worlds largest naval base in Norfolk, the largest east coast master jet base in Virginia Beach (24 squadrons are based here) Quantico, Langley the list goes on. So many of the people at these military bases are assigned here and move in and out of the area so the ratio of vehicles in the state changes around more than most. Depends on when they did the counting. The domestics seem to have a good percentage here.

Edited by F250

The Deep South states that feel they are more patriotic than the rest of the country and worry most about immigrants taking their jobs put as their #1 nameplate a Japanese vehicle?

The South is patriotic to...the South (Civil War, Dixie flag...). Anybody with cash is welcome don't matter what the morale issue is, not really a bad thing business wise though .

• Like 1

Ugh, I can't believe that my state of Florida has a poverty vehicle as it's top seller. Obviously it must be retail because with all the tourists in this state, it would have been knocked out of the park my GM, Ford, Chrysler. But yes I can see the Corolla, specially in Miami-Dade county. Many immigrants moving in from Central America are loyal to Toyota because they have a bigger network down there. So it's natural when they move up, thats what they seek. Actually it was thanks to the local Toyota dealerships I learned how much they screwed over customers. When friends would buy them I would laugh at the "Protection package" that was nothing more than a wax, scotchguard, a cheap alarm, and under carriage coating for $1200. Suddenly 15% of the cars price would be what I call "BS" fees added to it, but the blind faithfuls would by it.

Virginia is different, damn near everyone here isn't from here. The federal government owns and operates Virginia. North near DC is where 6 of the top 20 wealthiest counties in the country are. All down the east coast are massive federal government facilities like the worlds largest naval base in Norfolk, the largest east coast master jet base in Virginia Beach (24 squadrons are based here) Quantico, Langley the list goes on. So many of the people at these military bases are assigned here and move in and out of the area so the ratio of vehicles in the state changes around more than most. Depends on when they did the counting. The domestics seem to have a good percentage here.

All true, and yet there is a HUGE number of used Accords and Civics driven by high school and college kids, either gifted by parents or earned by hours of work at Busch Gardens/Kings Dominion/Water Country. You should see the number of riced-out Hondas riding around Hampton Roads at any given time. I think the numbers include all registrations, not just new cars sold (I could be wrong).

I'm suddenly homesick.

Hey, I didn't know you were in Virginia, F250. Which part?

The South is patriotic to...the South (Civil War, Dixie flag...). Anybody with cash is welcome don't matter what the morale issue is, not really a bad thing business wise though .

And Southrons, including my ancestors, have embraced this philosophy since colonial times.

Furthermore, Toyota vehicles have been notably popular in the Southeastern United States ever since Toyota first had a presence in this country. Southeast Toyota Distributors, LLC (SET) is the world's largest independent distributor of Toyotas, and Toyota dealerships in the five state SET region (Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina) are the most profitable among all Toyota Motor Sales USA sales regions. SET is infamous, however, for its proclivity to include overpriced accessories and packages on new cars (just as ANTAUS mentioned).

And Southrons, including my ancestors, have embraced this philosophy since colonial times.

Furthermore, Toyota vehicles have been notably popular in the Southeastern United States ever since Toyota first had a presence in this country. Southeast Toyota Distributors, LLC (SET) is the world's largest independent distributor of Toyotas, and Toyota dealerships in the five state SET region (Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina) are the most profitable among all Toyota Motor Sales USA sales regions. SET is infamous, however, for its proclivity to include overpriced accessories and packages on new cars (just as ANTAUS mentioned).

I was in the South for a while, the rural parts are majority domestics while the imports target major cities (Atlanta, Charlotte....) and ofcourse towns that have import factories.

• Like 1