SPIED: 2017 Ford F-Series Super Duty

That leaked photo, if legitimate, looks pretty good. Grille still looks to have been styled by a flatbiller, but the rest of that truck looks fine. Seems to support the rumor that the next S.D. will be modified '15 F-150 cab/bed on a carryover chassis/powertrain. We will see......

As for the D.I. gas engine rumor, I think not. First off, I hear getting D.I. on the current 6.2L would require a complete cylinder head redesign (on a low volume engine, $$$) and it would take Ford out of the gaseous fuel game on the 250 and 350.

Could an aluminum frame handle the payload #'s ford wants to hit? Also, with the superduty and expy being built at the same plant and the superduty going aluminum wouldn't that mean that the expy would be forced to go aluminum sametime? If so, could we be seeing hints of the new expy/nav yet? I know there's lots of rumors and chatters of the '17 expy but has anyone seen anything of it?

I wonder what was done with the frame, remembering back to that mule that burned down last year.

Could we see an Aluminum or Magnesium frame to give a big weight drop for coming fuel economy targets?

I don't think so--I'm pretty sure the frame in that prototype ended up in a puddle under that pile of rubble.

I don't think so--I'm pretty sure the frame in that prototype ended up in a puddle under that pile of rubble.

Probably so.

Before the Aluminum '15 f150 was released, the difference in weight between a 6.2 F150 and 6.2 F250 was around 1100 lbs

so I'm thinking that the with similar weight reductions, the next F150 could be closer to the '14 F150's weight,

A lot of possibilities flowing from there, lose the 6.2 in favor of F150 type engines and another 400 lbs comes off

which then makes the new F250's weight similar to the '14 F150...

Getting ahead of ourselves yes but the opportunity to really gap the competition in Class 2B is there.

Looks like a Chebby IMO I hope not-and worse yet, the side window does not look like it has a drop down.

The first thing I thought was the distinctive Chebby look with the flat hood! :(

And yes, it does have the drop down in the window. You can see it just under the mirror. I don't know, I'm not a fan, especially the badge/vent thing in front of the door.

Could an aluminum frame handle the payload #'s ford wants to hit? Also, with the superduty and expy being built at the same plant and the superduty going aluminum wouldn't that mean that the expy would be forced to go aluminum sametime? If so, could we be seeing hints of the new expy/nav yet? I know there's lots of rumors and chatters of the '17 expy but has anyone seen anything of it?

The fact they are built at the same plant is irrelevant. They are built on completely separate lines and have a completely different build process.

I just want to know:

1) Does it have IFS? That pic appears that maybe it does. It sets a bit lower than the current SD.

2) What's the gasser engine? EcoBoost? Maybe a gen 2 3.5L EB would be a fit due to the reported weight loss? F250 only?

I'm sure Ford will put out another great truck and I can't wait to get mine in a few years.

1511331_10206163110380655_53078458626481

2017-ford-f-series-super-duty-spied-fron

These look like different trucks to me. The camo one has a lot more space between the tires and the fenders than the silver one. The rear window on the silver one is rounded in the rear, but the camo one is squared off. The mirrors look different as well. Of course, they are trying to hide or mislead with the camo. But I wonder if the F250 will be more differentiated from the F350+ models. Maybe the F250 will share more with the F150?

Edited by jpvbs

The difference between the two to me appears that one is 2 wheel drive and the other is 4 wheel drive. Window lines appear the same to me.

That's what I thought too, but the top one that looks like a 2WD has the 4x4 sticker (I know, that doesn't mean a whole lot on a prototype). I'm still hoping the F250 comes with IFS and the F350+ comes with SFA, which would explain some of the lower stance of the top one...a slightly lower height with IFS for improved fuel economy on the F250 model.

EDIT: Zooming in, the top one does appear to have the manual locking hubs, so it is likely 4WD.

Edited by fordmantpw
  • Like 1

I wonder if F250 now gets a modified version of the older F150 frame..that would give it IFS and all the scales of economy.

not sure of the build ratio but if Ford grouped F150 and F250 closer together, the scales of economy increase

amd also leaves F350-F550 to use stronger frames.

Edited by jpd80

These look like different trucks to me. The camo one has a lot more space between the tires and the fenders than the silver one. The rear window on the silver one is rounded in the rear, but the camo one is squared off. The mirrors look different as well. Of course, they are trying to hide or mislead with the camo. But I wonder if the F250 will be more differentiated from the F350+ models. Maybe the F250 will share more with the F150?

They've got tape and filler on the glass to hide character details on the prototype.

• Like 1

I don't doubt that the bodies on the two are the same. Looking more closely, they appear to have added a lot of padding under the camo in places, altering the body lines significantly. You can see there are pads on the hood making it look taller, but you can see the original body lines on the hood match the facebook photo. The bed sides look artificially higher as well As noted before, that is the point of the camo. But that said, they have distinctly different ride heights and both appear to be 4WD.