Lincoln getting ready to dump MK naming convention?

The Edsel has some good names - Citation, Pacer, Corsair. We do not need a Lincoln Ranger, that would cause an endless discussion here.

Does Ford even have the copywrites for Citation and Pacer? They were used by GM and AMC respectively since the Edsel came out

If they don't own the rights to Citation or Pacer, I don't think it would be difficult to get the rights since I can't believe anyone (including Lincoln) would want to use those today. :)

The only thing worse than Town Car would be LS. The car with a model designation for a name. Never did like that aspect and I owned one for 6 years.

When the Chevrolet Citation debuted in early 1979, a Ford spokesman quipped, "We hope the name does as much for them as it did for us."

Considering that the Chevrolet Citation, along with its X-car brethren, marked the beginning of GM's long-term decline, the name did "do more" for GM than it had done for Ford. Unfortunately.

Edited by grbeck

I just hope I never hear the term " First Ever" applied to any new model they introduce. Like I am going to run right out and buy a new vehicle because it is the "first ever"...........not going to happen..............ever.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

As much as I agree with you, we are in the minority and that's exactly why they would call it the "first ever ____" because there's plenty of sheeple out there who want to have the newest thing out there

Not all historical names are equal... some like Continental are going to fit with the new Lincoln. Some like Zephyr or Versailles is best left in the dustbin of history.

MKC --> Mariner (yes, I know it was a Mercury but it fits with theme with Aviator and Navigator)

MKX --> ??? I'm stumped for another transport occupation related name...

MKT --> Aviator

Navigator --> Navigator

Compact sedan --> Archipelago... ok, just kidding. How about Lincoln Atlas?

MKZ --> Peninsular... ok kidding again. How about Lincoln Cosmopolitan (Cosmo? It's a historical Lincoln name and one that doesn't sound very fuddy duddy like Zephyr)

MKS--> Continental

Fullsize sedan --> Globe... ok I will stop myself. How about Lincoln Galaxie? (I know it is a Ford name but it kind of works especially if you go with Cosmo... yes?)

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

Citation and Pacer should stay dead and buried! First thing that comes to mind are lemons. And don't hijack the thread now defending the cars. Just the names.

No new Versailles, but maybe could bring back Zepher. And some Mercury names could be recycled, like Mariner or Maurauder. But no "Lincoln Lynx, Bobcat, or Tracer"!

Oh, and maybe just call the MKT the Town Car, since it's already using that for Liveries.

Edited by 630land

LS was awful name for a supposed import fighter or sportier Lincoln. At the time had Saturn, Lexus, and many trim levels using that term. Chevy's base models have been 'LS' for ages, not counting the newer 'L' strippos.

Edited by 630land

So suggestions for the MKC and MKX? I don't see the MKZ going back to Zephyr either.

One of my theories is that the "lower" models keep the MK scheme, while "upper" models get names.

So - crossovers MKC, MKX, and on the car side MKZ keep MK names, while ones above that - Aviator (Explorer based MKT replacement), Navigator, and Continental get names.

----

Also of note, ironically the MKX was originally supposed to be called the Aviator. It stemmed from this Aviator Concept:

aviator_mkx_comparo.jpg

And the first pictures of the production model had the Aviator badging:

2051027.008.1M.jpg

--

That said, I don't see the MKX receiving the Aviator name - I think it's reserved for the Explorer-based MKT replacement given the history of the name.

• Like 2

One of my theories is that the "lower" models keep the MK scheme, while "upper" models get names.

So - crossovers MKC, MKX, and on the car side MKZ keep MK names, while ones above that - Aviator (Explorer based MKT replacement), Navigator, and Continental get names.

----

Also of note, ironically the MKX was originally supposed to be called the Aviator. It stemmed from this Aviator Concept:

blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/01/aviator_mkx_comparo.jpg

And the first pictures of the production model had the Aviator badging:

content.worldcarfans.co/2005/10/medium/2051027.008.1M.jpg

--

That said, I don't see the MKX receiving the Aviator name - I think it's reserved for the Explorer-based MKT replacement given the history of the name.

thumb.gif

now what Name should the LincStang(s) get?

How about this:

MKC --> Mariner

MKX --> Aviator

MKT --> Grand Aviator (this will be a new one based on the CD6 Explorer)

Navigator --> Navigator

Navigator LWB --> Grand Navigator

No lol. For a few reasons...

The first and foremost of which - they don't need to use Jeep's naming scheme. Not to mention it doesn't sound good to me.

Also, seeing as the MKX and Explorer counterpart wouldn't be related design wise, it doesn't really make sense.

--

What about Lincoln Radiance? (Full disclosure - I looked up Royal Caribbean ship names hahaha).

Lincoln could recycle old Packard names:

Caribbean

Clipper

Constellation

Panama

Pacific

Patrician

Studebaker had some good names, too:

Commander

President

Starlight

Starliner (which Ford used from 1960-61 on Galaxie hardtop coupes)

From Hudson, there is this one:

Commodore

From Nash:

Ambassador (picked up by Rambler/AMC)

Statesman

From Kaiser-Frazer:

Manhattan

Virginian

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 1