2017(?) Aluminum Expedition Spotted Testing

I think it looks fine as is but it could just be prudent use of existing aluminum parts. Are the doors shared as well? Hard for me to tell.

You'd think if this was the real front end it would have padding all over it. Or maybe they want folks to know the new Expy will be loominum.

• Like 2

Looks like rear diff will still be independent.....also, notice the rear wheel well lip is significantly different than that on the front clip...guessing that the front clip that is on the mule is not going to be the same....ditto for the doors....do not match up with rear quarter window lower sight lines....

2018-expedition-014-1.jpg

Edited by twintornados

Glad to see the IRS stays.

I'm pretty excited about this. Ford has a great opportunity here. I've been driving a 2005 Yukon XL for almost two years. I have to say I love it. GM fans say it is the best model year series of the Sub/Yukon. But as a Ford fan I wish Ford would consider some of the Suburban's/Yukon's best attributes:

Completely flat load floor (yes, you have to take out the 3rd row). The load floor is not all jacked up with fake and useless panel and compartments like the new GMs. Ford is close here even with the 3rd row thanks to the IRS.

Low beltline and hood line. This vehicle drives much smaller than it looks.

Drive quality. It truly is the Texas Cadillac.

Styling. It's not butch looking and women are more inclined to purchase (key buyers)

This is definitely a mule, it reminds me of the Explorer mule that used a Flex front clip and widened Freestyle body. This confirms a couple of things. First, there will be a next gen Expedition and second , it will have IRS. Other than that, it's hard to tell anything else. What I really want to see now is an Expedition EL mule.

Looks like they grafted a 2015 rear onto a 2015 F150 supercrew front. Definitely a mule. My guess is none of the sheetmetal is production otherwise it would have cladding.

It remains to be seen how much sheetmetal will Expedition share with F150. But you are quite right that this is an engineering mule, not a prototype.

2018-expedition-006-1.jpg

Looks like they grafted a 2015 rear onto a 2015 F150 supercrew front. Definitely a mule. My guess is none of the sheetmetal is production otherwise it would have cladding.

The more I look at it the more I think you are correct. The front doors are huge, which was the first thing that struck me. I guess I didn't realize the new F-150 was that much wider than the current Expedition judging by all the cladding they have in the rear to be able to make it as wide as the front.

I will say if they keep a similar front end to the F-150 this might be my next vehicle.

I will say if they keep a similar front end to the F-150 this might be my next vehicle.

It seems like that might be the case, that they are finally streamlining the design language with the trucks like they've done with the car lineup over the past several years.

Based on the recent Escape spy shots, it seems like they're starting that with the CUVs too.

• Like 2

I want to know how you become the guy that paints these things.

Oh here is a sort of brand new vehicle with most likely a decent paint job, now go paint it with this rattle can and these stencil from my kids art class.

:hysterical: yeah, that's not exactly how that works. More often than not a very early engineering mule like that comes out of the Pilot plant in primer, or at the very least a very basic paint job, not necessarily showroom quality.

I think under the heavy cladding, at least from C-pillar back, IS the new Expy's sheetmetal. They just added all that, and a current liftgate, to hide the new style.

2018-expedition-014-1.jpg

I just noticed in that pic the crease in the rear door and it's missing from the front door. That's gonna look like crap! </sarcasm>

I think under the heavy cladding, at least from C-pillar back, IS the new Expy's sheetmetal. They just added all that, and a current liftgate, to hide the new style.

Possible, but it looks to me like they had to build up the old rear end to match the taller F150 SC front end.

Just got word that the front clip will be unique. It's possible the the door skins could be shared, but not much else.

I'm sorry, you'll have to provide 3 forms of identification and employment verification forms for your source plus a background check before you can post such nonsense........

• Like 3

Saying that the next Expy's clip will be unique is hardly controversial--it's been unique for what? 13 years now?

There was plenty of speculation, and maybe an inside tip or two, that indicated that NG Expedition would be sharing the front end and interior with the F-150, a la the 1st gen model.

Personally, I think this was put out intentionally to get the other guys underestimating the new truck. The "sharing" chatter also indicated that the SRA would be going away, which is one of the current truck's most appealing features. When you look at the halfassed botch job GM did on the "fold flat" 3rd seat on the K2xx, it kind of makes sense...