2017(?) Aluminum Expedition Spotted Testing

I think the tailgate on the mule is part of the redesign due to the taillights not matching the quarter-panel or tailgate but the tailgate match the rest of the rear of the truck. The front clip will match F-150 but IMO unique grile maybe headlights.

I think we'll get a repeat of the 97'-02 model Expedition (F-150 SUV) due to CUVs are now the best-selling plus an F-Series based truck cut-cost while competing with GM. The Navigator gets the best non-truck look while being on F-150 frame with parts.

I think the tailgate on the mule is part of the redesign due to the taillights not matching the quarter-panel or tailgate but the tailgate match the rest of the rear of the truck. The front clip will match F-150 but IMO unique grile maybe headlights.

I think we'll get a repeat of the 97'-02 model Expedition (F-150 SUV) due to CUVs are now the best-selling plus an F-Series based truck cut-cost while competing with GM. The Navigator gets the best non-truck look while being on F-150 frame with parts.

The liftgate on that mule is the current liftgate. Not a new one.

I think that a unique front is necessary for one reason. Investing in a new Expedition only makes sense for Ford if they go all-in and produce a product that absolutely beats the Suburban/Tahoes brains out. The Suburban has too much inertia, over too many generations of Americans, to take another weak shot at it. It looks way more upscale than its pickup counterpart. I'm confident that Ford will at least match that.

That makes sense. The next Expy should basically look like a larger Explorer, not an F150 wagon.

Agree that Expedition needs differentiation from F150 but would that "F150 Wagon" idea be such a bad thing

considering the popularity of the F150 Crew Cab and given the added differentiation going into the Navigator?

If Ford is struggling to keep up with demand for f150 crew Cabs, perhaps having a close SUV alternative is not a bad idea,

building upon that popularity may in fact be the right path to rebuild Expedition sales. If Ford gets this right, it may be able

to grow Expedition sales up over 10K/mth

Edited by jpd80

Agree that Expedition needs differentiation from F150 but would that "F150 Wagon" idea be such a bad thing

considering the popularity of the F150 Crew Cab and given the added differentiation going into the Navigator?

If Ford is struggling to keep up with demand for f150 crew Cabs, perhaps having a close SUV alternative is not a bad idea,

building upon that popularity may in fact be the right path to rebuild Expedition sales. If Ford gets this right, it may be able

to grow Expedition sales up over 10K/mth

If that's their plan... then throw in an extra 2-door Bronco already :runaway:

Edited by probowler
  • Like 2

Previous rumors said that the Expedition was going to "borrow" a lot more from the F150 so I always assumed that meant rear live axle and leaf springs. . I am happy to see that the IRS stayed.

My gut says the rear struts, even with their gigantic coils, weigh less than the F150 leafs. I wonder if you add up all of the IRS components and compare them to the live axle component on the F150 how much the difference is. (The old MN12 gained a lot of weight by adding IRS.)

The air spring suspension should weigh a lot less if you do not include the compressor.

If the v8 goes in something I'd say it would most likely be the Ford version as that one would most likely be sold as a contractor truck.

Lincoln tries to sell the tech angle, so the turbo fits that image better.

Unless that V8 in the Navi has a couple little turbos attached to it...

Might as well just add a turbo to the V8, its only a matter of time...

Beat me to the punch.

I don't think the 5.0 V8 will be returning, unless as a cheap low end model.

In fact, I predict the base drivetrain for the Expedition will be 2.7 EB with 10 speed auto. The power-up option will be 3.5 EB.

Navigator will probably have 3.0 EB as the standard engine and 2 different power output 3.5 EB optional.

Edited by bzcat

A bespoked V8 EB engine for alumiGator seems unlikely. Especially since Raptor is ditching V8... it tells us that Ford is definitely betting on high end buyers sticking with 3.5 EB on light trucks.

And 3.5 EB is probably going to get a healthy bump in power with 10 speed auto... just watch :future:

We already know 3.5 EB is held back to achieve decent fuel economy and durability benchmark - and it is already more powerful than the 6.2 V8. With 10 speed auto, Ford will be playing with house money on power... they will probably eek out enough improvements in MPG to allow them to bump up the power curve and still stay within CAFE goal and durability benchmark.

Edited by bzcat

That's based on the tune for the Mustang.

Like all V8s that have been shared between cars and trucks, I don't see how the 5.2 can't be made truck worthy.

From my understanding, the FPC is more geared toward high-RPM HP than low-RPM torque, which is what a big SUV needs. It would be pointless to tune out the sweetness of that high-RPM scream to cram the square peg into a round hole just to say you used the 5.2L in the Navi. I would expect a turbo V8 (or even a hopped-up version of the 3.5L EB) before we see the 5.2L FPC in the Navi.

• Like 1