2018 Expedition in Camo

I'm in the camp of hoping it's just a mule and that the front end will actually be different/softer looking than just sharing the F-150's.

I mean we already know the back of it is just cobbled together, so it's possible the front is just using F-150 parts for testing.

• Like 2

The easy way to tell (on a non-camo unit) is that the door on the EL stops before the wheel well arch. The door on the non-EL continues into the arch. It's hard to tell on the camoed versions since you can't see the door lines well through the camo.

That's how I figured it out, but like you say it's hard to tell with the camo.

Changing the sheetmetal on a BOF vehicle isn't hard to do..so this mule using '15 F-150 parts mixed with current gen Expedition parts isn't too far from a production vehicle. As long as the cooling works more or less the same, it shouldn't be a big deal to change it.

Not to mention when was the last time we saw a unreleased upcoming Ford product sans camo on it? We see mules but the past couple years its been nearly impossible to see a clean car before its released at an auto show..Ford has gotten pretty good at hiding upcoming products.

The easy way to tell (on a non-camo unit) is that the door on the EL stops before the wheel well arch. The door on the non-EL continues into the arch. It's hard to tell on the camoed versions since you can't see the door lines well through the camo.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Expy and F-150 share doors to keep costs down (as seen on this mule), but that front end needs to be softer (compared to F-150) for it to gain marketshare, IMO. With the '97 models that shared front ends, the F-150 was a more streamlined/softer design to begin with, so it translated better over to an SUV that wasn't "brute-ish" like this mule looks (to me).

Sharing door designs on Expy would also be a super easy way for them do differentiate it from the Navigator (Expy could retain the F-series beltline dip to the mirrors, while Navigator gets a traditional flat beltline).

---

I wonder if we could see an Expedition (and Navigator) "concept" this autoshow season? With the lightly-changed production models debut at next year's shows?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Expy and F-150 share doors to keep costs down (as seen on this mule), but that front end needs to be softer (compared to F-150) for it to gain marketshare, IMO. With the '97 models that shared front ends, the F-150 was a more streamlined/softer design to begin with, so it translated better over to an SUV that wasn't "brute-ish" like this mule looks (to me).

Sharing door designs on Expy would also be a super easy way for them do differentiate it from the Navigator (Expy could retain the F-series beltline dip to the mirrors, while Navigator gets a traditional flat beltline).

Agreed! The current F150 front end does not translate well to an Expy and it definitely needs to be 'prettied up' to pick up sales from the Yuhoe.

I would think that most people who want softer styling would opt for a crossover over an SUV, and that SUV buyers want a truck like appearance.

I'm not saying it has to be super curvy to where it's awkward like the QX80, or extremely soft in it's design cues to where it has no masculinity, I'm simply saying I think the styling should be softer than just looking like an F-150 with a cover on the bed, which looks brutish and way too masculine. I understand your argument, but I think there's a middle ground between the brute look and the "crossover" look, where you can have just enough elements of each to cater to a wider audience.

but that front end needs to be softer (compared to F-150) for it to gain marketshare, IMO. With the '97 models that shared front ends, the F-150 was a more streamlined/softer design to begin with

Agreed! The current F150 front end does not translate well to an Expy and it definitely needs to be 'prettied up' to pick up sales from the Yuhoe.

giphy.gif