South Florida International Auto Show Notes

I was able to go to the South Florida International Auto Show last night, and wanted to share some thoughts and pictures. It's not a huge show, and we typically get last year's concepts, but it's still fun to go to and see all the latest cars.

In the Ford display, they had a GT350, but was locked. They had the rest of the regular lineup on display as well. They had the new Super Duty on display. It's better looking in person than pictures. Not quite as "out there" or large looking as it seems. And there's details you can see in person that you can't see in pictures. For example, the "vent" is actually a vent, and the area where it says F-_50 is at an angle to the sheetmetal.

18DF8CBD-97DD-4DD8-9289-B3E58B1138BF_zps

On the Lincoln side of things, as I mentioned, we usually get last year's major show concepts. Thankfully (I was hoping they would), they had the Continental concept there. WOW, it looked fantastic. I unfortunately wasn't able to talk to the Lincoln representatives to get their view on the overall feel for the car and reception they'd gotten, but I did hear a few people say positive things about it. One thing I noticed about it was its sheer size. I don't know the dimensions on it, but it looks quite long in person. Also the way the design is, the taper with the hips/beltline that gets lower further back on the car is pretty evident. If it's close to the concept (and indications are it will be), I think they'll have a hit on their hands.

691C153D-47BE-4B27-8E45-9D321333B52B_zps

146D8525-86E1-46CA-9EB9-EA93498FF0BB_zps

40C03555-6FCE-407D-B581-0FB3C8C1DBBE_zps

04E27B9C-BF3E-432D-91F4-7C7F55FF26B6_zps

F1063009-7F11-4AE6-9298-338CD6981776_zps

3B9BF600-BE63-438F-BB5E-CD396FB7F775_zps

They also had both an MKZ Black Label and an MKX Black Label there. The material quality difference between them and the regular versions are definitely noticeable. I thought the new MKX looks great, and look forward to hopefully being able to do the Date Night with it (and review it like I did with the MKC writeup I did a while back).

---

Elsewhere in the show, Lexus manages to make their products uglier and uglier with each new release of the predator grille. I thought the new RX looks terrible, but I know they'll probably somehow sell a ton of them.

Also of note, the VW display was empty. Only a few teenagers sitting in a Golf. The scandal is definitely hurting them it seems.

--

Also, sorry if some of the comments seemed short - I had a lengthier assortment of comments typed out, but then my browser decided to go back a page when I hit the spacebar at one point, so I lost my post and this is what I ended up with.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 3

Also, 2b2 had asked me privately about the CT6. They did have one at the show, but it was up on a turntable with the door open, so it was hard to gauge much. Looking back on it, I wish I had spent more time looking at it (though I was with a buddy and his parents, who kinda kept my buddy and I from perusing things more thoroughly like we normally would've), but it was hard to get excited about the CT6. It looks exactly the same as every other model on the floor there. If you were just looking at it, you wouldn't know it's a different model. Honestly, I felt the Conti looked longer, but that can also 1) be deceptive because the Conti to me looks much more sleek, and 2) if there is truly a "CT8" coming, the CT6 may, in fact, be shorter than the Conti.

• Like 1

Also, 2b2 had asked me privately about the CT6. They did have one at the show, but it was up on a turntable with the door open, so it was hard to gauge much. Looking back on it, I wish I had spent more time looking at it (though I was with a buddy and his parents, who kinda kept my buddy and I from perusing things more thoroughly like we normally would've), but it was hard to get excited about the CT6. It looks exactly the same as every other model on the floor there. If you were just looking at it, you wouldn't know it's a different model. Honestly, I felt the Conti looked longer, but that can also 1) be deceptive because the Conti to me looks much more sleek, and 2) if there is truly a "CT8" coming, the CT6 may, in fact, be shorter than the Conti.

thumb.gif

&

we know the dimensions for the CTsix

204.1 ovl - 122.4 wlb - 73.97 w - 57.9 ht

I can't wait for NAIAS :toetap:

Which leads t whether a LWB Town Car work work as an extension of Continental?

I'm not going to ask why you keep wanting to make thing longer ;)

Stretching a vehicle, whether it's a Conti or an Explorer is not a trivial matter. It's not as if Ford can cut em in two and shove some material in the middle the way limo outfits do.

That has always been a target for Lincoln....not the garishly overwrought styling attempts by Cadillac.

Oh I know. I'm just saying I love it. The more extreme designs don't age well either, IMO. Look at the first-gen CTS. It looked cool back then, but now it looks terrible.

Im going Saturday, I go every yeah to this show I wish they would change it up somewhat, its always the feeling that you are seeing the Detroit show live 9 months later. but I really want to see the continental in person.

Well, how would they change it up? There aren't any major debuts here (the last debut here I remember was the Mercury Mariner VOGA trim haha), so at least we're able to see some of the cool concepts from the previous year.

Also - I'm not arguing with you, I just don't know what you mean by change it up.

Edited by rmc523

Well, how would they change it up? There aren't any major debuts here (the last debut here I remember was the Mercury Mariner VOGA trim haha), so at least we're able to see some of the cool concepts from the previous year.

Also - I'm not arguing with you, I just don't know what you mean by change it up.

Every year its the same Ford Robot, talking to people that robot has been there for 5 -6 years already, same Jeep display outside, i just want new and different displays and interactive ride a longs.

also, the one thing I wanted to see was the Continental but the day i went it was not there, on the lincoln stage was an MKX

Every year its the same Ford Robot, talking to people that robot has been there for 5 -6 years already, same Jeep display outside, i just want new and different displays and interactive ride a longs.

also, the one thing I wanted to see was the Continental but the day i went it was not there, on the lincoln stage was an MKX

Really? Where'd they put it? I went again on Friday and it was there on the turntable.

Update after I went back to the show a second time.

Here are some more pictures from the Ford display....I was too lazy to crop them, sorry haha

They had this yellow GT350 right up front:

81178845-77F9-427C-A307-F39D260DD07C_zps

Also, I completely missed this white Focus RS last time I was there. It was locked.

67ACD5DA-A14D-4B52-8C00-F60055828F5B_zps

EB2E601C-8C1B-4FBE-9439-F89DA9AD8F18_zps

Finally, here's a collection of pics of the new Super Duty:

18DF8CBD-97DD-4DD8-9289-B3E58B1138BF_zps

CA4935D5-9DF6-4F97-8D11-234410578E1C_zps

Taillight closeup

423A560C-EAAE-4C17-AC7C-3CA0BEADECD4_zps

Headlight detail

C51BF4DF-D052-4E99-8340-D5EB85CF604C_zps

Closeup of the Ford badge in the grille with the camera and camera washer (that little slot shape to the right)

F7A35A40-AD79-460C-B9CE-457E1D7E8570_zps

Here's the fender vent I mentioned in the opening post.

8BC129B0-0919-4568-813B-2884096735D2_zps

I thought this FORD detail on the tow mirrors (likely the same on the F-150) was nice:

BAA98F14-6375-4891-AFC0-AF740B1D9166_zps

• Like 2

I have some more notes on Lincoln as well.

I unfortunately didn't take the opportunity to talk with the Lincoln rep about the Continental (and I wish I had), but I did talk to him a fair amount about the MKX and Black Label. I was impressed with the added "features" that come with Black Label vehicles....and by features I mean the extra perks. Such as them coming to you with color samples, leather samples, wood samples, etc to build your vehicle rather than a typical dealer experience. Also things like the picking up the car and bringing a loaner when service is needed, as well as free car washes anytime, one free full detail a year. The Culinary Collection sounds interesting, but something I probably wouldn't end up using much, but could be interesting to try.

Moving on to the color combos Black Label offers. I like the options, but I don't at the same time. As some of you may or may not know, Black Label vehicles have certain interior themes and exterior colors that correspond with the interior themes. I think it's nice that they have themes, and realize that that makes it easier for them to produce (for instance they can produce theme "1" with the only unique part being the exterior color and options), however, I'm a little disappointed by the limitations I found in the Black Label brochure the rep gave me. Now, maybe I’m not fully understanding it, and perhaps the program is more flexible than the brochure leads me to believe. By limitations, I’m meaning color and interior combinations.

They have 6 themes – Thoroughbred, The Muse, Center Stage, Modern Heritage, Indulgence, and Oasis. Thoroughbred and The Muse are only on MKX, while Center Stage is only available on the MKZ and MKC. The remaining 3 are available on both. Furthermore, Center Stage on the MKZ has a different wood than the MKC. On Modern Heritage (my preference of the available themes, which features a black dash and crème color seats with red stitching and black seat accents), the MKZ and MKC get a fantastic looking black wood with silver strakes in it. However, the MKX gets just a “piano black wood” that in the picture looks like a piece of black plastic. I find that extremely disappointing (maybe I’m hyped up about it because my preferred interior combo doesn’t have the wood I like available. And, for some reason, I can’t get “Notorious” blue on Modern Heritage on the MKX??? Why? Why should that matter? The MKZ and MKC both have “Notorious” blue available on the Modern Heritage. In fact, that blue color is available only on the C and Z Modern Heritage and C and Z Indulgence (a chocolate/brown theme). Now maybe it has to do with the fact that the MKX is new, so they’re not able to offer certain things yet? But it just seemed like there’s some odd omissions and limited options. Maybe I’m overreacting, I don’t know….

This first image shows the 8 different Black Label exterior colors.

afa51c8c-6e66-4fab-a078-107727d9725f_zps

Here are the “Thoroughbred,” “The Muse,” and “Center Stage” themes:

8d7e5d9f-19bf-42a6-be5c-fac7a0f1bbc5_zps

Here are the “Modern Heritage,” “Indulgence,” and “Oasis” themes:

300ffac9-7e6a-428e-993a-490cc8829714_zps

To me, a unique program like this should allow full customization – and by that I mean you can offer the “suggested” themes the designers come up with, but also allow a customer to choose whatever leather, wood, and color they want, rather than limiting them to predetermined combos.

• Like 1