2017 Continental spied with no padding (just dot camo)

If they want volume from conti they need a base model with a smaller engine that can be priced lower and justify higher prices on the 3.0L. If they don't care about volume then the 3.0L alone would be fine.

CTS put off traditional caddy buyers with the styling (don't see that changing) and higher prices. They need to soften the styling and lower the price if they want to win back those buyers.

Lincoln would probably rely on MKZ, MKX and other CD4s and utilities for volume as some are the same platform underneath the Conti, i believe the "volume" Continental would be in the $50-$60k range. A high power/lower 3.0tt is easier (cheaper) to deal with then 2 different motors.

CTS is in it's last generation and will be replaced by CT4 (think last gen CTS for price and size) and CT2 for ATS. Both will still be on the Alpha platform

Lincoln would probably rely on MKZ, MKX and other CD4s and utilities for volume as some are the same platform underneath the Conti, i believe the "volume" Continental would be in the $50-$60k range. A high power/lower 3.0tt is easier (cheaper) to deal with then 2 different motors.

CTS is in it's last generation and will be replaced by CT4 (think last gen CTS for price and size) and CT2 for ATS. Both will still be on the Alpha platform

Strange that you say that because if Cadillac goes back to a CTS Sigma sized CT4,

then there would be very little need for ATS(CT2) in North America.

The reason being that GM basically split the Sigma CTS market in two and paid the price

for offering two new vehicles with less perceived value than the older model, premium

pricing of those vehicles leaves GM in a heck of a conundrum as a volume producer.

While I agree with the re-positioning of CT4 at the older Sigma CTS price point and size,

I just don't see a place for the ATS replacement, it may be more a Chinese based product.

I think the Lincolns should stick to their own plan and do something slightly different to Cadillac.

Continental offering an AWD TTV6 similar to CT6 will add some spice to the mix and no doubt,

we'll see a comprehensive review of the two...

Edited by jpd80

These are so much alike that they just look like badge engineered versions of each other with just different grilles and lights.

Anyway, this is an old looking car to me since it looks like a Bentley that already exists and it really does not say Lincoln. It just says I look like a badge engineered version of a Bentley.

Same thing was said about the Chrysler 300. It didn't stop sales at all. I'm all for a "poor mans" version of a $1/4 million car.

Red line was about 6500 on the tach. I hate the fake looking wood.

Are you sure that's fake wood in a $50K car?

Lincoln designers stayed true to the overall interior layout of the Continental concept, although a number of materials

were changed to make the car's cabin more production-viable. Whereas the concept featured velvet and chrome,

the car's production interior boasts conventional leather and wood.

Edited by jpd80

Interior looks absolutely fantastic.

It looks even better in person, photos don't do it justice at all. They did a really nice job with it

Are you sure that's fake wood in a $50K car?

I don't think so, but these days you can't really be sure. My job doesn't have anything to do with the IP or the center stack so I didn't get a chance to get that close of a look at the finer details.

It looks even better in person, photos don't do it justice at all. They did a really nice job with it

I don't think so, but these days you can't really be sure. My job doesn't have anything to do with the IP or the center stack so I didn't get a chance to get that close of a look at the finer details.

I doubt that Lincoln would be using fake wood on a $50K car,

that's the sort of trim you expect on $30k Buicks..

It looks like a thin veneer applied to parts of the IP and center console,

so maybe comes already fitted from a supplier?

Edited by jpd80

The blue guitar wood is amazing. You're right. If it's real, it's very good workmanship. I guess I am so use to things being so fake, that it's a bit of a surprise to see things that are real - when executed properly. You think "must be fake". I'm hoping that they give some really interesting options for colors.

The blue guitar wood is amazing. You're right. If it's real, it's very good workmanship. I guess I am so use to things being so fake, that it's a bit of a surprise to see things that are real - when executed properly. You think "must be fake". I'm hoping that they give some really interesting options for colors.

Mind you, fake boobies are good.. :)

I'm hoping that Ford's Black Label color schemes will take up your suggestion with different colors and maybe different woods..

If Ford is serious about buyers being able to personalize their Lincoln, then this is the place to start..

Edited by jpd80

It's real. The "bubble wrap" blue is from a "root boll" type of maple growth. To see others, go to the Gibson site http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Gibson-Custom.aspx

or visit their Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/GibsonCustom/photos_stream

11223894_1091268870885260_21083366949444

These are so much alike that they just look like badge engineered versions of each other with just different grilles and lights.

Anyway, this is an old looking car to me since it looks like a Bentley that already exists and it really does not say Lincoln. It just says I look like a badge engineered version of a Bentley.

IMO, the Continental looks like a stretched Five Hundred while the Bentley looks like a stretched A8.

So both are ripping off J Mays and Freeman Thomas.

If you want to see some incredible instrument work with exotic woods, check out the British Drum Company on Facebook. Buddy of mine got shitcanned from Premier Drums, the UK's last major percussion manufacturer, when new management closed up the English factory, fired him and his team, and moved the last of their production to the Far East. The 6 of them started their own line (British Drum Co) and their craftsmanship is astonishing.

• Like 1

If you want to see some incredible instrument work with exotic woods, check out the British Drum Company on Facebook. Buddy of mine got shitcanned from Premier Drums, the UK's last major percussion manufacturer, when new management closed up the English factory, fired him and his team, and moved the last of their production to the Far East. The 6 of them started their own line (British Drum Co) and their craftsmanship is astonishing.

Probably time to change your name to BRITISHdrum. Just sayin...

I don't think Lincoln will offer a 2.3 on Conti from what was said. The MKZ would probably get that engine 1st.

As far as "traditional buyers" CT6 is replacing XTS and CTS and Caddy made it clear they not chasing Germany anymore, CT8 would be the the range topper. Continental believe it or not have to win back the buyers since MKS only move a few hundred a month.

I agree, wouldn't surprise me at all to see a base 2.3 with 285-hp, and the 3.0 above it with 350/400 (or maybe a slight bump to differentiate it from the MKZ?).

Red line was about 6500 on the tach. I hate the fake looking wood.

I agree - while it's probably real, I've never liked the lacquer companies put on the wood. The open pore wood they use elsewhere in the lineup looks much better to me.

Mind you, fake boobies are good.. :)

I'm hoping that Ford's Black Label color schemes will take up your suggestion with different colors and maybe different woods..

If Ford is serious about buyers being able to personalize their Lincoln, then this is the place to start..

100% agree with this - I commented in another thread a while back that while I agree with the idea of having suggested interior themes ("Center Stage", "Thoroughbred", "Modern Heritage," etc), that are put together by their designers for those that like those setups, I think Black Label should be a true "mix-and-match" type setup, where the buyer could choose ANY combination of the Black Label "trimmings" that they desire. And perhaps eventually it will get to that, and they're just using the current setup as a starting point. Time will tell....

Can you imagine how much the press would be all over this car IF they ACTUALLY had that blue as an option. I mean, the chrome was cool. But that's way-cool.

Oh, I'd love for them to offer the blue. I will not be at all surprised to have it be a Black Label theme at a minimum. I thought it looked fantastic on the concept (it'd be my choice too, FWIW).

They have to put that type of finish on the wood to hold up in a crash - the extra gloss can make it look plasticky but it's real.

That makes no sense, nor have I ever heard that before. They have open pore woods available in other models (and I'm sure they will in the Conti as well). I very much prefer the open pore look to the glossy look.