2017 Chrysler Town &....errr Pacifica Debuts

rmc523

So apparently, Town & Country is dead. The new one will be called the Pacifica. I must say, I didn't see that coming. Seems silly to me, as now they can't use the Pacifica name on a new CUV, but what do I know.

Anyway, info at the link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/11/2017-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-detroit-official/

003-chrysler-pacifica-1.jpg

001-chrysler-pacifica-1.jpg

005-chrysler-pacifica-1.jpg

Chrysler is creating a plug-in version with an estimated 80 miles per gallon equivalent.

You can read all the practical details of the 2017 Pacifica (not Town & Country) here. For the sake of this story, we'll focus on what's different with the hybrid model. Yes, Chrysler is just calling it PacificaHybrid, not Plug-In Hybrid, because the company's executives think that when people hear "plug" they think "range anxiety" and freak out. That's not a worry here, though, because when the 16-kWh battery runs out of juice, the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 kicks in and the minivan functions as normal. Just don't run out of gas.

With a full charge, the Pacifica Hybrid can travel up to 30 miles on electric power. And though the gas engine is the same 3.6-liter V6 found in the non-hybrid model, it's detuned to 248 horsepower and 230 pound-feet of torque. Charging the battery takes just two hours on a 240-volt plug, and Chrysler houses the battery pack underneath the floor in the middle of the van, where the wells for Stow 'N Go seating are found on gas-only models. So no, you can't get Stow 'N Go seats on the hybrid, but the third row does still fold into the floor.

That's a good looking minivan. I'm surprised at the name change too.

I still think it's stupid to dump the Grand Caravan.

I agree it looks good. I don't have a problem with dropping the Grand Caravan. They can then develop one great vehicle instead of having to split development into two, while limiting the one to artificially make the other better (much like Ford/Mercury). But to then drop the known/established/respected Town & Country name? I agree it's not the "freshest" sounding name, but still, it's known, and it's not like the minivan segment will explode with this name change. We'll see overall "Pacifica" number quite higher than Town & Country, but that will be somewhat artificial, as it will now be a replacement for both Grand Caravan AND Town & Country, so naturally consolidating to one vehicle will see that vehicle's numbers higher than on or the other of the previous model by themselves....hopefully that makes sense.

• Like 1

I think it looks great. There's still a market for a good minivan. (My sister picked an Odyssey over a large SUV--like a Suburban...although, I'm not sure if she looked at the Pilot). While the Odyssey is a great entry in the market and the Sienna is ok, there's not much else there. (I guess the Quest and the Sedona are the rest, now?)

It makes sense to continue to make investments in the segment you created and probably know better than anyone.

I'm very torn about a name change. On one hand, I doubt many people remember that there was a Pacifica to begin with, so there should be little baggage. I also understand dumping Grand Caravan since you're trying to move away from the idea that it's a van. (Really, all minivans are now simply lowered, lengthened CUVs with sliding doors). But I figured T & C would still have some brand equity. Now, Chrysler has to sort of start over there.

Ultimately, though, product wins. They have to overcome the institutionalized defaults to Honda and Toyota that sheep and non-thinkers fall to. What Chrysler calls it doesn't really matter there, since it's a Chrysler.

And no matter how nice my sister's Odyssey is, if I was in the market for a minivan, I would have always gone with the T & C. I hope they succeed with the Pacifica.

ETA: I read the article and man, it's pretty flipping cool. Lots of "feature-theft" but it's not hard to have eventually come up with these ideas. It's got a surround view with bird's-eye camera that I thought was cool on my brother-in-law's XC90. 2 10" screens for rear-entertainment. The vacuum (that yes, I know, the Odyssey already has--but the release since it can reach all parts of the vehicle). You'll be able to "kick to open" the sliding doors, not just the liftgate.

Haha...I guess I'm getting excited over a freaking minivan. Good for Chrysler.

Edited by BrewfanGRB

I think a shorter name is better. Seems like a nice minivan, reminds me a bit of the Euro Fords. About time someone made a hybrid.

Funny thing about the last Pacifica, given it was a DiamlerChrysler, and the R-Class came out about the same time, many thought they were platform-mates. I even had a co-worker who owned one and thought that. (Of course it was simply based on the Chrysler minivan instead)

That's a lot of branding equity to give up in changing the name. Sure, Town & Country sounds farty, but it still sold like gangbusters regardless.

That being said, this thing is gorgeous and doesn't scream "minivan".

Some highlights:

• 250 lb weight loss
  • 530 mile range on PIH model
  • 80 MPGe city on PIH model
  • 360-degree Surround View camera, ParkSense Parallel/Perpendicular Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Hold and Forward Collision Warning-Plus
  • Integrated vacuum (yeah, Honda had that one first)
  • Tri-pane panoramic sunroof
  • Handsfree sliding doors and liftgate (same as Ford, wave your foot under any of the doors to open hand's free)
  • Still holds a 4x8 plywood sheet
Edited by Intrepidatious

I think the name change is great. The Town and Country name is extremely dated.

30 mile range is impressive and they didn't have to use 1950s locomotive technology to do it. Amazing what a few extra batteries can do when you have the space.

This should compete very well with Sienna and Odyssey.

• Like 1

another tidbit from Motor Trend:

The Pacifica uses an all-new platform, and weight is down by 250 pounds model to model thanks to an increased use of high-strength steel, magnesium, and aluminum. The sliding doors are made from aluminum, for example, and the liftgate is a mix of magnesium and aluminum.

...and this one....answering the ever-asked question from backseat children:

an “Are We There Yet?” function that tells rear passengers the distance left on a journey and ETA.

dfziyzcjlad7vhtdjqd3.jpg

Edited by Intrepidatious
  • Like 2

They could be saving the "Town & Country" name for a large CUV.

Eh, to me that'd be a completely pointless exercise that would only confuse buyers.

30 mile range is impressive and they didn't have to use 1950s locomotive technology to do it. Amazing what a few extra batteries can do when you have the space.

I won't argue that the name "Town & Country" is dated. But I think the fact that it's the minivan market, and the history the T&C has, it's one place where you can stick with it. Not only that, they now used up the Pacifica name and can't use it on a future crossover.

To be fair (and to somewhat contradict what I said earlier), we own a late model T&C and I don't think we've ever once said "Town & Country" out loud when referring to it. We call it "the van" and if someone were to ask what we drive (well, what my wife drives), we would say "A Chrysler minivan".

If they want to sell to younger women, and yes women decide what family vehicle to buy, it needs a fresh name and CUV image

Town & Country is 'Granny's minivan' going to the Bingo Parlor. Chugging along doing 45 on Interstate 95 in far left lane.

Pacifica is "those cool CUV's" seen a few years ago.

The one who complain the loudest are car buffs who want ancient brands like Edsel and DeSoto still around.

Edited by 630land

I agree it looks good. I don't have a problem with dropping the Grand Caravan. They can then develop one great vehicle instead of having to split development into two, while limiting the one to artificially make the other better (much like Ford/Mercury). But to then drop the known/established/respected Town & Country name? I agree it's not the "freshest" sounding name, but still, it's known, and it's not like the minivan segment will explode with this name change. We'll see overall "Pacifica" number quite higher than Town & Country, but that will be somewhat artificial, as it will now be a replacement for both Grand Caravan AND Town & Country, so naturally consolidating to one vehicle will see that vehicle's numbers higher than on or the other of the previous model by themselves....hopefully that makes sense.

It might just be the market difference. Here in the Maritimes, it seems Grand Caravan are everywhere but T&C are pretty rare.

I agree with the T & C name being dated

I'm pretty sure Town and Country is dead (who knows it may be used as trim). I wouldn't count on seeing it as a vehicle nameplate again.

My thoughts exactly about it becoming a trim level.

It might just be the market difference. Here in the Maritimes, it seems Grand Caravan are everywhere but T&C are pretty rare.

I see more Caravans in Ontario and Quebec too compared to the T & C.