Diesel F-150 for 2017?

From Automotive News:

Ford Motor Co. appears to be gearing up to launch a diesel-powered version of the F-150, possibly as early as next year, and wrest the fuel efficiency crown from the hot-selling Ram 1500 EcoDiesel.

Diesel-powered F-150 test trucks have been spotted running around Ford’s product development center in Dearborn, Mich.

Land Rover’s decision to equip its Range Rover and Range Rover Sport SUVs with a Ford-built, 3.0-liter diesel engine also bodes well for a diesel-powered F-150.

Ford spokesman Mike Levine declined to comment on Ford’s future products, but Dave Sullivan, an analyst for consulting firm AutoPacific, says Ford’s product plans call for a diesel-powered F-150 teamed with a new 10-speed automatic transmission co-developed by Ford and General Motors. It could launch as a 2017 model, he says.

“A diesel F-150, with its lightweight body and 10-speed automatic, would have all of the necessary hardware to win the fuel economy race,” said Sullivan.

More here:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160128/OEM04/160129849/1221

"

When the redesigned, aluminum-bodied F-150 arrived in late 2014, the fuel economy ratings disappointed many consumers and analysts who expected the lightweight truck to be the most fuel efficient in the segment.

The most fuel-efficient F-150 is powered by a 2.7-liter V-6 that carries a 19 mpg city and 26 mpg highway EPA fuel economy rating. Ram’s EcoDiesel 1500 carries a 29 mpg highway rating."

Except the RAM diesel can't haul much more than a couple of turds in the box when you have it loaded with 4 American adults. Much less actually tow anything. It'll quickly exceed GVW ratings for that engine.

Where as the 2.7EB can haul and tow a decent amount of weight with reasonable mileage.

Is the new Nissan Titan XD with the 5.0L Cummins, tow ratiing 12,000+, not mentioned because it is a different class than the Ram and F-150 (although its prices are similar)?

Likely so. The Titan XD is not EPA rated, so it can't isn't even in the discussion when discussing fuel economy ratings. Plus, it is above the 1/2 ton class, so will likely be discussed with the 3/4 tons from Ford/Chevy/DodgeRam.

Bring it....it will KILL Ram and Nissans diesel sales numbers....and land consumers that were headed in that direction because Ford didn't offer a diesel. Difference will be the ford wont lose payload or towing capabilities ( much ) AND offer competitive mileage....thx for playing Ram/ Nissan.

if you actually DO tow ( and Ive mentioned my desire for an Airstream 0 yes, diesel does trump the 2.7...diesels MPGS remain more constant under load....

I give you exhibit A: 6.4L PowerStroke. It's MPGs remain shitty as hell whether towing or running empty.

I DO tow, about 9-10k lbs, and if the next Super Duty gets an EcoBoost, I likely won't go diesel again. The extra cost of the engine plus the higher fuel price plus the extra maintenance cost plus the hassle of the damn regens (I have a lot of driving that is 6 miles round trip) just isn't worth it. If there is no turbo gas option, though, I will likely put up with those other things due to how well the diesel tows. Now, if I towed regularly, I would definitely go diesel.

• Like 2

Would a diesel win out over the 2.7L for you?

Don't know. Probably not. Won't know until numbers come out.

But I made myself a promise before my wife went to grad school. When she graduated, I was going to buy the best, most capable, truck I could afford. Because it will be the last truck I will buy until I retire (about 15 years), and I don't want to wish I had something better.

• Like 2

I guess those wanting a F-150 diesel can send a big thank you note to Jaguar Land Rover for footing the bill to make this happen.

Well, it's nice that JLR has at last proven to be useful for something.

I'd be interested in a diesel F150 if it weren't for two things:

1) Diesel isn't as readily available as gasoline, and

2) My daily commute isn't long enough for a diesel to get up to operating temperature, so all I could really do is slowly destroy one.

BTW, I filled up my dad's '05 PSD last Thursday at $1.43/gal. According to my back of the envelope cipherin' and gazintas, it had gotten just over 17MPG since the last fill up. Not bad for an old F350 Crew Cab long-box 4x4...

Well, it's nice that JLR has at last proven to be useful for something.

I'd be interested in a diesel F150 if it weren't for two things:

1) Diesel isn't as readily available as gasoline, and

2) My daily commute isn't long enough for a diesel to get up to operating temperature, so all I could really do is slowly destroy one.

BTW, I filled up my dad's '05 PSD last Thursday at $1.43/gal. According to my back of the envelope cipherin' and gazintas, it had gotten just over 17MPG since the last fill up. Not bad for an old F350 Crew Cab long-box 4x4...

That's what block heaters are for ;)
  • Like 1