Rumor: Scion dies today (Update: Fact)

silvrsvt

Most I know want to drive, but many can only afford a 6-year-old Accord at best.

Even that is out of reach...I remember when I was younger and first started to drive (almost 25 years ago) a decent used car could be found for about $2500 or so.

After cash for clunkers and the increase of the cost of cars (and the corresponding rise in value of used cars to help finance them) getting say a 5 year old car that is in decent shape would run you about $7000 or so.

I remember selling my 1998 Mustang GT for peanuts after 4 years of ownership...I want to say I was lucky if I got $5K for it (paid about 20K after A plan or so, if I remember right). Just to show you how much the value of used cars are these days, my 2006 Mustang GT with 120K miles I have that will be 10 years old next month can go from anywhere from $7-10K depending if your buying from a dealership or private party.

Even that is out of reach...I remember when I was younger and first started to drive (almost 25 years ago) a decent used car could be found for about $2500 or so.

After cash for clunkers and the increase of the cost of cars (and the corresponding rise in value of used cars to help finance them) getting say a 5 year old car that is in decent shape would run you about $7000 or so.

I remember selling my 1998 Mustang GT for peanuts after 4 years of ownership...I want to say I was lucky if I got $5K for it (paid about 20K after A plan or so, if I remember right). Just to show you how much the value of used cars are these days, my 2006 Mustang GT with 120K miles I have that will be 10 years old next month can go from anywhere from $7-10K depending if your buying from a dealership or private party.

Too many of them are bearing the cost of student loans. Once they graduate, they are facing a monthly student loan payment that equals - or exceeds - the typical car payment.

Too many of them are bearing the cost of student loans. Once they graduate, they are facing a monthly student loan payment that equals - or exceeds - the typical car payment.

Don't forget about that $70/month cell phone bill.

And Apple Music for $15/month.

Oh, and cable/satellite/TV for $100/month.

And Internet for another $40/month.

And....

Priorities. Had they spent half of the money from above, plus got a job while in college, guess what. Their student loans wouldn't be quite as high. Yes, college is expensive and it sucks, but you have to learn to live within your means, and taking out $100k in student loans is not smart unless you are going to be a doctor or something equivalent.

Don't forget about that $70/month cell phone bill.

And Apple Music for $15/month.

Oh, and cable/satellite/TV for $100/month.

And Internet for another $40/month.

And....

Priorities. Had they spent half of the money from above, plus got a job while in college, guess what. Their student loans wouldn't be quite as high. Yes, college is expensive and it sucks, but you have to learn to live within your means, and taking out $100k in student loans is not smart unless you are going to be a doctor or something equivalent.

Meh. My wife was going to school for medicine before ultimately backing up to pharmacy... Those student loans are ungodly. 80k at 9% that can't be refinanced.

Guarantee I would have a brand new F-150 if we weren't paying $1,000 every month for student loans. ??

What other automotive marques in the U.S. market are likely to face dissolution by the end of the decade? IMO, Mitsubishi Motors and Lincoln are the prime candidates.

Lincoln has been profitable for years. Sales are rising and new vehicles are being added. Just because they don't make vehicles that you want to buy doesn't mean they're likely to be shut down.

• Like 1

Meh. My wife was going to school for medicine before ultimately backing up to pharmacy... Those student loans are ungodly. 80k at 9% that can't be refinanced.

Guarantee I would have a brand new F-150 if we weren't paying $1,000 every month for student loans.

The medical field is definitely an area where there may be no alternative to high student loans, but the payback is normally there. I could not imagine getting out of school and already being 80-100k in debt, without even having a home to live in.

Don't forget the steep declines in the auto market from 2008-2012-ish; there's significantly less used car inventory from that period.

Don't forget the steep declines in the auto market from 2008-2012-ish; there's significantly less used car inventory from that period.

And it sucks when you're trying to find a cheap used truck in decent condition. Even mid to late 70's F100s are $5K - $8K in decent (not great) condition.

The main thing is that if they wanted to attract young people, so they made cars that looked like crap figuring that young people had "funky" tastes and would think the cars were "awesome", and marketed the idea that you could customize them with even crappier add ons.

Now Fiat and Smart can take Scion's share of the crappy pointless small car market.

taking out $100k in student loans is not smart unless you are going to be a doctor or something equivalent.

What's funny about that is that nobody forces these kids to go to expensive universities. At age 18 they take great pride in *choosing* to go to this university or that one, and then when they graduate with debt, many of them want to be perceived as victims.

Go to an affordable local university with accredited programs, attend all your classes and learn as much as you can, live cheaply, and remember that your degree is probably only going to get you your first job or two and after that--unless you went to an Ivy League school and networked your butt off--you're on your own.

What's funny about that is that nobody forces these kids to go to expensive universities. At age 18 they take great pride in *choosing* to go to this university or that one, and then when they graduate with debt, many of them want to be perceived as victims.

Go to an affordable local university with accredited programs, attend all your classes and learn as much as you can, live cheaply, and remember that your degree is probably only going to get you your first job or two and after that--unless you went to an Ivy League school and networked your butt off--you're on your own.

I spent my first 2 years living at home and getting core credits at a 2 year college while paying my own way. I transferred to University of Georgia, worked full time and paid my own tuition with a very small student loan ($5K). I got the same diploma as the folks who went 4 years at UGA. Took me 6 years but it was worth it.

Edited by akirby

Bingo! State schools are much less expensive, but still provide a good, solid education.

I spent my first 2 years living at home and getting core credits at a 2 year college while paying my own way. I transferred to University of Georgia, worked full time and paid my own tuition with a very small student loan ($5K). I got the same diploma as the folks who went 4 years at UGA. Took me 6 years but it was worth it.

Exactly! I'm sure you don't regret those extra 2 years today, knowing the thousands that it saved you in costs.

State schools are much less expensive, but still provide a good, solid education.

Which is just the pitch to appeal to an 18 year old!

Hey! Why join your friends at Elitist Private School With Suspiciously Vague Promises of Financial Assistance when you could go to Mom And Dad University--approved by your parents and your parents' friends and other people that age??

Things aren't good for the smaller car market...guess millennials really don't want to drive.

http://carbuzzard.com/2016/02/breaking-news-scion-is-dead/

I can't wait to hear Biker16's explanation for this one.

Simple, they didn't update their platforms every other year. Duh! :stirpot:

--

But seriously - all their products aside from the original tC have been hideous, no wonder sales fell apart, along with the other factors others have mentioned. Honestly, I thought they were going to die after the tC ran out its' run, but then they randomly added the iM and iX or whatever those new ones are called, which apparently will now become Toyotas?

--

Also, I read yesterday Toyota may drop both the Prius V and Prius C. I wonder if this move is related (if the iM/iX move to Toyota's lineup), along with slow sales of those two.

What other automotive marques in the U.S. market are likely to face dissolution by the end of the decade? IMO, Mitsubishi Motors and Lincoln are the prime candidates.

Lincoln? Really? Whatever you say man.

Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Dodge, Smart are 4 I'd put way above Lincoln on a death list.

• Like 2

Which is just the pitch to appeal to an 18 year old!

Hey! Why join your friends at Elitist Private School With Suspiciously Vague Promises of Financial Assistance when you could go to Mom And Dad University--approved by your parents and your parents' friends and other people that age??

Which is where the parents have to step up and be a parent and not a 'friend' to little 18 year old Johnny! But, that's really a discussion for an entirely different thread. I could go on and on about that...

"25 years ago good used cars cost $2500"

And 25 years before that, they cost $500, welcome to real world. Cars are not an "entitlement".

An esoteric 'hipster' degree gets you a Starbuck's job, if you know the manager.

Anyway, Scion joins Geo, Saturn and Edsel in the 'market research overreach' failures.

Edited by 630land

Simple, they didn't update their platforms every other year. Duh! :stirpot:

--

But seriously - all their products aside from the original tC have been hideous, no wonder sales fell apart, along with the other factors others have mentioned. Honestly, I thought they were going to die after the tC ran out its' run, but then they randomly added the iM and iX or whatever those new ones are called, which apparently will now become Toyotas?

--

Also, I read yesterday Toyota may drop both the Prius V and Prius C. I wonder if this move is related (if the iM/iX move to Toyota's lineup), along with slow sales of those two.

Lincoln? Really? Whatever you say man.

Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Dodge, Smart are 4 I'd put way above Lincoln on a death list.

Fiat and Alfa Romeo (at least in North America).

I can't wait to hear Biker16's explanation for this one.

The company picked the Los Angeles Auto Show in November to reveal the C-HR concept small crossover.

That vehicle will join the Toyota lineup, the automaker confirmed.

The FR-S sports car, iA sedan and iM 5-door hatchback also become Toyota models. The company said it will discontinue the tC sports coupe in August.

Scion was asuccesful experiment for toyota,

“This isn’t a step backward for Scion; it’s a leap forward for Toyota," Toyota North America CEO Jim Lentz said in a statement. "Scion has allowed us to fast track ideas that would have been challenging to test through the Toyota network."

Lentz, who was the founding vice president of Scion, added: "I was there when we established Scion and our goal was to make Toyota and our dealers stronger by learning how to better attract and engage young customers. I’m very proud because that’s exactly what we have accomplished."