Ford Plans for 4 New SUV Nameplates in next 4 years (today @ Chicago Show)

I think a true B-sized utility for Ford (in between Ecosport and Escape) is a given and a Lincoln version is very likely.

2 door Ford Bronco is a given.

The tricky part is whether you consider Aviator a new segment. MKT has 3 row luxury crossover covered currently. So maybe that does mean some type of hybrid/electric model.

Mark LaNeve is US centric (sales). So when he says four all new name plates, he means for Nth America.

And sure, they will be on gloabal platforms. Those four names should be.

Bronco - a two door SUV

Everest - Off road capable BOF SUV

Aviator - twinned with new Explorer on CD4

Ecosport.- updated with changes to siut US market.

At the moment, Ford does not compete in any of those segments.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

I predicted these 4 last time and I'm sticking by the list:

1. B-segment CUV: not EcoSport, which is too small to be B-segment given how big the other competitors are in this segment. Think EcoSport but longer and wider - around 4.2 meters long.

2. C-segment short CUV: not Escape, which is on the large side of the segment - this car may or may not come to US but is critical missing element in Ford's CUV line up. Think C-Max but with optional AWD and lots more plastic cladding - this will be around 4.4 meters long.

3. Bronco: It won't be Everest with a different name... that's contradicts with the claim that it will be a new segment. This SUV will be more like Wrangler or FJ Cruiser than Everest or 4Runner.

4. Lincoln Explorer: It won't be called Aviator or MKT but something on the CD6 platform that can compete with the likes of Mercedes GLE, BMW X5, Audi Q7, Land Rover RRS, Volvo XC90 etc.

This is Ford's CUV/SUV line up now... you can see where the holes are:

A-segment/mini compact (under 4 meters): EcoSport

B-segment/subcompact (~4.2 meters): nothing

C-segment short/compact (~4.4 meters): nothing

C-segment long/compact (~4.6 meters): Escape/Kuga

D-segment 5 seat/midsize (~4.8 meters): Edge

D-segment 7 seat/midsize (~5 meters): Edge

E-segment/large (over 5 meters): Explorer

Compact-ish offroad SUV: Troller T4

Midsize-ish offroad SUV: nothing (upcoming Bronco)

Midsize family SUV: Everest

Large family SUV: Expedition

B-segment/subcompact luxury SUV: nothing (but I don't really see Lincoln going there, at least not for a while)

C-segment/compact luxury SUV: MKC

D-segment 5 seat/midsize luxury SUV: MKX

D-segment 7 seat/midsize luxury SUV: nothing (but there really isn't much of a market here I think)

E-segment/large luxury SUV: nothing unless you think MKT is a thing (upcoming Lincoln Explorer)

Edited by bzcat

Well whatever Ford is intending to do, it's one heck of a shift, a real breath of fresh air.

I think this passage from Laneve says it all:

Citing improved fuel economy, added capability and ease of exit and entry, LaNeve said the demand for SUVs

won’t slow down even when fuel prices rise.

“Even when prices start to rise, the shift will be from big SUVs to small SUVs, not back to cars.”

I think that spells death for Fiesta in North America, even Focus will be a smaller player in the future.

PS,

I just saw this too

LaNeve said the new vehicles would consist of nameplates not currently in Ford’s global lineup.
Edited by jpd80

Then do you count the Aviator? Because that projects to enter the 3-row CUV segment where Lincoln already has an entry.

Good question. I think we've all tried to decipher what they are hinting at. They say in the press release it will be in segments they don't compete... in but as you note, that would (in theory) preclude the Aviator. Unless they begin making up segments. "Luxury 3 Row CUVs that are Not shaped like a Humpback Whale".

No clue. Everyone is bringing up great points trying to figure out what they exactly mean. At this point, it would seem to "wait and see".

Could the next EcoSport vehicle be one of them? If you go by the lettering of the press release, I would say no. However, in reality? Yeah...like others have said, they would then give a caveat like it wasn't offered in NA before.

A-segment/mini compact (under 4 meters): EcoSport

B-segment/subcompact (~4.2 meters): nothing

C-segment short/compact (~4.4 meters): nothing

C-segment long/compact (~4.6 meters): Escape/Kuga

Ok, can you provide some examples from other mfrs that have this Short C vehicle you keep mentioning? I can't see how it would make sense if it's only 8 inches different from a B or C large.

Subscription required - can you summarize?

Don't want to quote the article in full, but here's some main points:

The Bronco, one of Ford’s storied nameplates, seems likely to be one of the four new utility vehicles coming to the Ford lineup in the next four years.

“It’s a great nameplate,” said a smiling LaNeve, when reporters pressed him to confirm the return of Ford’s original, rugged off-roader.

Ford is widely expected to add the small, Fiesta-based EcoSport, which would slot under the Escape and give Ford a competitor against the Chevrolet Trax, Honda HR-V, Nissan Juke and others.

But the vehicle might not be called EcoSport. In a scrum with reporters after his speech, LaNeve said the new vehicles would consist of nameplates not currently in Ford’s global lineup. He would not give timing or any details about the segments the new vehicles will compete in, or where they will be built.

Ford CEO Mark Fields said last month that the Lincoln brand would get a new utility vehicle, the Detroit Free Press reported.

Pretty much what's been theorized so far in this thread.

Edited by Anthony

I wont buy a Ute, since I like being able to turn a corner and not feel like going to tip over, and not have to slow down and hold up traffic.

But not going to post endlessly that "buyers should buy station wagons instead, if only Ford offered them, buyers would come in..." Not gonna happen.

As long as 5 door hatches are available, and I will switch brands if I have to.

That's why I've generally avoided these "________ to introduce _______ new __________ over next _________" threads lately.

Well, when Ford throws out a press release regarding future vehicles, you generally expect some meat. Looks like we didn't get much.

my only fear is Ford is making the same mistake twice....I remember a time when all their eggs were in one basket and it hit them HARD....that said all their eggs were gas guzzling monsters and that issue has basically been addressed....but I think it would be FOOLISH to ignore sedans and Hatchbacks in leiu of what could be "Flavor of the year"...that said CUV sales don't seem to b ebacking off at all...

• Like 1

my only fear is Ford is making the same mistake twice....I remember a time when all their eggs were in one basket and it hit them HARD....that said all their eggs were gas guzzling monsters and that issue has basically been addressed....but I think it would be FOOLISH to ignore sedans and Hatchbacks in leiu of what could be "Flavor of the year"...that said CUV sales don't seem to b ebacking off at all...

Agreed. But I doubt they're taking the FCA approach (throw everything not trucks and SUVs or Alfa-branded out the window)

Here's the difference though, they're using plant capacity more wisely now, or at least trying to. Platform consolidation helps.

• Like 1

@RMC....don't mention FCA in the same breath as Ford, heck, they make GM look well managed...LMAO!...Fuzzy, I certainly hope so, they got caught with their pants down when they had nothing but large SUVs and trucks, and ignored the car market....my paychecks were frightening.............

Ok, can you provide some examples from other mfrs that have this Short C vehicle you keep mentioning? I can't see how it would make sense if it's only 8 inches different from a B or C large.

I gave plenty of examples before. It's fine if you refuse to acknowledge that segment exists but as long as every car company out there think it exist Ford probably should too.

Jeep Compass & Patriot, Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage, Subaru XV, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, Renault Kadjar, Nissan Qashqai, VW Tiguan, Skoda Yeti, Seat Ateca, Peugeot 4008, Suzuki S-Cross, Audi Q3, Mercedes GLA, BMW X1, Infiniti QX30... Do I need to keep going? I haven't even mentioned any of the Chinese car companies or models intended for the emerging markets from established car companies.

Ford sells a Focus hatch and a Focus wagon. Why? Because some people like one that is short while others like one that is long.

Right now, Ford only sells a long CUV. They are leaving a lot of sales on the table for a short C-segment CUV.

Edited by bzcat