Lincoln MKT Quietly Discontinued?

I've just noticed that Lincoln no longer lists the Lincoln MKT on it's media page, it's no longer brought to the AutoShows, and they have not been assembling any since November 2015 with no 2016 MY MKT. Customers are no longer able to factory order the MKT either. However, Flex continues. Has Lincoln quietly and unceremoniously pulled the plug or am I misreading the tea leaves?

So yeah, I'm a little surprised we didn't get a press release or something.

Edited by BORG

Does anyone believe the MKT could be updated enough to be a stopgap until the Explorer base replacement comes? Perhaps they can put the new style front clip from the continental and then restyle the rear of the vehicle. For me the rear of the vehicle is what ruins it.

• Like 1

At the start of March, Inventory was low with 1.300 cars total and around 775 of them at dealers.

I'm thinking that MKT and Flex production has given way to more Edge and MKX production at Oakville.

Much the same way that Taurus and MKS have given over production space to Explorer.

A lot of the GM extremists fail to grasp that change in product mix is both possible and desirable.

Previously, the Livery market has shown a distinct dislike for MKT and in fact, chosen Navigator over MKT

so much that Ford switched Livery sales to MKS and makes Semi finished LWB versions for Limo converters.

Edited by jpd80

I did a quick filter on the 700 odd MKT available at dealerships nationally,

the surprising part was that most of them are high priced examples

34K-37K 2

37K-40K 6

40K-45K 60

45K-50K 193

50K-55K 303

55K-60K 148

60K-62K 2

So if that national dealer stock is indicative of the sales mix

then no wonder why Ford is keeping the MKT around

Just imagine a great looking Aviator in that slot selling

five or six times as many with that sales and price mix.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I did a quick filter on the 700 odd MKT available at dealerships nationally,

the surprising part was that most of them are high priced examples

34K-37K 2

37K-40K 6

40K-45K 60

45K-50K 193

50K-55K 303

55K-60K 148

60K-62K 2

So if that national dealer stock is indicative of the sales mix

then no wonder why Ford is keeping the MKT around

Just imagine a great looking Aviator in that slot selling

five or six times as many with that sales and price mix.

thumb.gif

tho want to draw a compari$on of an Aviator/Continental to an MKX/MKZ

where

the Cuv starts a few hundred higher than the sedan BUT

(per my numbers from last August)

could top-out several THou$and higher

• 4 weeks later...

What is the national inventory like now, I see my regional inventory is down to 44. Still no 2016 model and none built since 2015 and you can't order a new one from the factory. I think it's safe to say this car is dead.

Edited by BORG

It's still unfortunate they didn't give this a minor refresh to fix some of its stylistic shortcomings. I think consumers would have responded to improved looks. It certainly could have competed with the Infinity QX60, and gave Lincoln another vehicle to sell.

And yet, when I do a price filter search of dealer stock, MKT average selling price is up around $55K (above)

Sure sales are slow but I wonder how much of that is purely because the style is not inviting to enough customers,

how about for its last 18 months -2 years, a small refresh with a Navigator/Continental front and see how we go....

Edited by jpd80

What is the national inventory like now, I see my regional inventory is down to 44. Still no 2016 model and none built since 2015 and you can't order a new one from the factory. I think it's safe to say this car is dead.

April 1 inventory of Lincoln

MKS ....1,900 (66 Days)
MKZ .....8,100 (88 Days)
Total Lincoln car ..10,000 (83 Days)
MKC .....6,900 (95 Days)
MKT .....1,400 (97 Days)
MKX ....12,500 (122 Days)
Navigator...4,400 (91 Days)
Total Lincoln trk. ......25,200 (106 Days)
Total Lincoln ............35,200 (98 Days)
Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

MKT is coasting on inventory built up before the end of last year, this must be their way of quietly phasing it out from retail. I wonder if they are still taking livery or fleet orders. Essentially, if you walk into a Lincoln dealership right now, you can't buy an MKT or order one unless it's the 1 or 2 they have rotting in the back corner.

Edited by BORG

MKT is coasting on inventory built up before the end of last year, this must be their way of quietly phasing it out from retail. I wonder if they are still taking livery or fleet orders. Essentially, if you walk into a Lincoln dealership right now, you can't buy an MKT or order one unless it's the 1 or 2 they have rotting in the back corner.

MKT Production - 2016 (2015)

March 483 (538)

Q1 1,089 (874)
Edited by jpd80

Curious that Continental's wheelbase is 117.9", the same as MKT

and certain other internal dimensions are close too..

Link to Continental brochure..........dimensions on page 2

Have we been looking in the wrong direction........

EXTERIOR (in.)
Length 201.4
Wheelbase 117.9
Width – Mirrors folded 78.1
Height 58.5
INTERIOR (in.)
Front
Head room 39.3
Leg room (max.) 44.4
Hip room 55.9
Shoulder room 58.3
INTERIOR (in.)
Rear
Head room 37.7
Leg room 41.3
Hip room 54.8
Shoulder room 55.9
Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Nice update, and I am glad they didn't try to graft the Continental grille onto the existing coachwork....would've looked dumb in my opinion. The horizontal wing grille fits the existing design.

Yeah it obviously won't do a ton for sales, but it does look better than the existing grille, and brings it in line with the rest of the crossover lineup until it's dropped (at which point the other crossovers switch to the new grille too).

Yeah it obviously won't do a ton for sales, but it does look better than the existing grille, and brings it in line with the rest of the crossover lineup until it's dropped (at which point the other crossovers switch to the new grille too).

Now the only question remains is can I retro-fit the new horizontal slat grille onto my 2011 MKX?

PS: The horizontal slat grille worked wonders for Navigator sales...just sayin'.

Edited by twintornados

Here's the fleet card for the 2017 MKT.

It receives a horizontal slat grille. Also looks to get a new gauge cluster (center speedo surrounded by 2 screens) and steering wheel.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2017/2017%20Lincoln%20MKT.pdf

2017MKT_zpsvfn3q2y9.png

(there's a second page at the link showing colors, dimensions, etc.

Is that a pie in the center console?