2017 Ford F-150 to Debut with All-New 3.5-Liter EcoBoost Engine and 10-Speed Transmission

I would be beyond surprised if Ford brings the 5.0 back to Expedition or Navigator.

It still has value in the F150 and like others here, i want to see how the 10AT transforms the 5.0.

I think it will be every bit as good at the GM 5.3 & 8AT - that may cause a kick in sales.

On Expedition/Navigator, it's clear that Ford wants buyers to have the TT V6s to keep FE numbers as good as possible

Without some form of AFM I can't see the 5.0V8 having enough FE in the heavier large SUVs over say EB2.7 or 3.0 TT....

and then of course, you have the splendid torque of the EB 3.5, that 450 lb ft at lower rpm is impossible to ignore,

Edited by jpd80

Like I said, the 5.0 is history!

I don't think the 5.0 gets pulled from the F-150 until it gets pulled from the Mustang GT. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to build an engine in mass quantity then just a few thousand units. I'm still seeing about a 1/3 5.0 V8, 1/3 3.5 EB, and 1/3 2.7 EB product mix at most dealers. I'm not sure who gets the base 3.5 except fleet. It seems that the dealers I have looked at are actually ordering more 2.7s compared to 3.5s, but then again I live in an area where people who really need pulling power buy Super Duties.

I'd be surprised if the 5.0 goes away in the F-150 (and possibly Mustang) in the next year or two. My guess is they'll offer it at least until this generation of pickup is replaced in a few years. I could see the 5.0 soldier on for many years even in a new model, however it probably is the last Ford V8 we'll ever see developed for mass production.

Like others have stated I doubt you'll see a V8 in the next Expedition or Navigator, but a 5.0 EcoBoost in the Navigator would be amazing!

I don't think the 5.0 gets pulled from the F-150 until it gets pulled from the Mustang GT. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to build an engine in mass quantity then just a few thousand units. I'm still seeing about a 1/3 5.0 V8, 1/3 3.5 EB, and 1/3 2.7 EB product mix at most dealers. I'm not sure who gets the base 3.5 except fleet. It seems that the dealers I have looked at are actually ordering more 2.7s compared to 3.5s, but then again I live in an area where people who really need pulling power buy Super Duties.

I'd be surprised if the 5.0 goes away in the F-150 (and possibly Mustang) in the next year or two. My guess is they'll offer it at least until this generation of pickup is replaced in a few years. I could see the 5.0 soldier on for many years even in a new model, however it probably is the last Ford V8 we'll ever see developed for mass production.

Like others have stated I doubt you'll see a V8 in the next Expedition or Navigator, but a 5.0 EcoBoost in the Navigator would be amazing!

They're developing a new V8 for the Super Duty now, so I wouldn't say the 5.0 will be the last V8.

Honestly, I think the V8 will continue on in the Mustang and F150 for the foreseeable future. There are quite a few buyers who won't buy anything but a V8 in a truck or a Mustang. 'There's no replacement for displacement' ya know.

They're developing a new V8 for the Super Duty now, so I wouldn't say the 5.0 will be the last V8.

Honestly, I think the V8 will continue on in the Mustang and F150 for the foreseeable future. There are quite a few buyers who won't buy anything but a V8 in a truck or a Mustang. 'There's no replacement for displacement' ya know.

I didn't know about the new Super Duty V8. With that said, pulling the 5.0 from the F-150 and Mustang right now just to "pull it" wouldn't make much since since the engine still makes up a sizable chunk of those models sales. It's an excellent engine. I got the 2.7 EB, but I know there are plenty of buyers of full size pickups that still want a V8. So anyhow I don't think it's history at least not for the foreseeable future.

I didn't know about the new Super Duty V8.

Well there are rumors going around of a Mustang Cobra Jet with a Hellcat slaying Twin Turbo 5L V8. With that said, not sure how well a TT V8 would work in HD applications...but its in the realm of possibilities.

One thing I do question, at least when it comes to the Mustang....when does it become unlikely that car offers a manual transmission? How does that work with EPA certification etc?

It still has value in the F150 and like others here, i want to see how the 10AT transforms the 5.0.

I think it will be every bit as good at the GM 5.3 & 8AT - that may cause a kick in sales.

On Expedition/Navigator, it's clear that Ford wants buyers to have the TT V6s to keep FE numbers as good as possible

Without some form of AFM I can't see the 5.0V8 having enough FE in the heavier large SUVs over say EB2.7 or 3.0 TT....

and then of course, you have the splendid torque of the EB 3.5, that 450 lb ft at lower rpm is impossible to ignore,

It has a place in F-150 because there are still large enough number of F-150 buyers that prefer it to 2.7 EB.

I don't see large enough segment of Expedition buyers that will buy a Tahoe instead because there is no V8.

If I'm Ford, and the choice is doing an Expedition with 3.0 diesel or 5.0 V8 (because I seriously doubt Ford will consider 4 different engines for Expedition), I think there is much more upside to the 3.0 diesel.

Expedition

2.7 EB

3.0 diesel

3.5 EB

Navigator

3.0 diesel

3.0 EB

3.5 EB

Edited by bzcat

I'm not sure I'd buy a 10 speed in the first year. Ford lost a lot of experienced engineers 8 or 9 years ago and they had problems with the 6F.

REALLY ???

A lot of amazing work was done by the engines guys after 2/28/2007 ! I think the whole Coyote program was done after The Exodus. Also, the US version of the 2.0L EcoBoost. (The EU version that was already in production, was basically "all Bosch". The US version had very few Bosch components.)

I have heard this, but "lips are sealed" down in Dearborn. My guess is, it will be a revised 6.7L Boss motor, probably with a larger displacement version for Medium Duty and maybe 3V per cylinder.

One thing I do question, at least when it comes to the Mustang....when does it become unlikely that car offers a manual transmission? How does that work with EPA certification etc?

Calibrating a MT for emissions is definitely "a challenge". Ford/GM and others are will to incur that cost over a "small" number of unit because they are "performance" vehicles (i.e. it is easy to pass the additional cost on to customers).

I have heard this, but "lips are sealed" down in Dearborn. My guess is, it will be a revised 6.7L Boss motor, probably with a larger displacement version for Medium Duty and maybe 3V per cylinder.

There was a piece in the UAW contract about a new displacement for the Super Duty. I've heard 5.8L, but I'm with you thinking there will also be a larger displacement to ditch the old 6.8L V10.

REALLY ???

A lot of amazing work was done by the engines guys after 2/28/2007 ! I think the whole Coyote program was done after The Exodus. Also, the US version of the 2.0L EcoBoost. (The EU version that was already in production, was basically "all Bosch". The US version had very few Bosch components.)

I was referring specifically to transmissions and specifically the 6F which has had many problems including a 2-3 shift flare.

I was referring specifically to transmissions and specifically the 6F which has had many problems including a 2-3 shift flare.

2009-2010 6F35 were the problem children. The 6F50/55 have been very reliable. So not all 6F designated trans are in the same boat.