2017 Ford F-150 to Debut with All-New 3.5-Liter EcoBoost Engine and 10-Speed Transmission

2.0 EB is 231HP on 87 octane. 240HP on 91. But of course all the mags kept stating 240HP and excluding the fact it was on premium. So some people felt cheated. Ford clearly had it stated...

Maybe I had it backwards. On the Fusion 2.0LEB it does say 240 on premium and 231 on regular, but torque is the same: 270 @3000. That means the higher octane and advanced timing produced more torque at 5500 rpm even though the peak torque didn't change.

Whoa! Expected it, but not to start the '17 MY.

450 ft-lbs is quite impressive, but no word on HP. This thing is going to put the GM's 6.2L completely in the dust.

Can't wait to see fuel economy numbers.

We've know this since the 2015 Detroit AutoShow when they showed off the 2017 F-150 Raptor.

We've know this since the 2015 Detroit AutoShow when they showed off the 2017 F-150 Raptor.

I think the unexpected part is it's being released before the raptor. I don't think anyone saw that coming. I know I didn't.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

We knew it was coming in the Raptor, but we didn't know when it was coming to the standard F150.

• Like 1

This article says the other engines won't get the 10 speed yet: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/03/2017-ford-f-150-powertrain-details/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

The article also states the HP will remain at 365. I find that hard to believe. I would expect at least somewhat of a bump in HP.

Not quite.

The article says, "Power is expected to remain at 365" is not a certainty.....it's just an assumption.

I think that's a pretty safe bet for the regular F-150 models since that engine will be making 450+ in the Raptor.

There's that and i guess if Ford had news on HP, they would have said.

The 365 was in alignment with first gen 5.0 Coyote's 360 HP but now that engine is 387 HP,

so 380 HP for the new EB would keep them in lockstep......

.just sayin'......

Edit,

teh great part about this is no matter what Ford does, that EB 3.5 and 10AT are going to be a tough combination to beat,

fuel economy alone should be significantly better than todya's 6AT and the Silverado 6.2 8AT at 21 MPG has a problem

that means GM has to restrict those build numbers..

Curious to see what effect the 10AT will have on the 5.0 Coyote if / when it's delivered, should make a significant improvement..

Edited by jpd80

Notes:

• The engine uses belts instead of a chains to drive the cams (unless the Images is incorrect.) which is par for Ford's new engines.
  • alloy block is used to save money on tooling.
  • the Dual fuel option is used to meet EPA rules for particulate emissions, if not used Ford may have had to use a particulate filter on this motor.

The new uprated Raptorengine must have a block in CGI but this for the F-150 with just 365 hp seems to be the same as the old EcoBoost. Most people thought that this new upgrede would be +411 hp. Shame on Ford.

In fairness, Ford has'ns said anything regarding HP... probably deliberately.

But if the most popular V8s are now around 390-400 hp then that may be a consideration.

Notes:

• The engine uses belts instead of a chains to drive the cams (unless the Images is incorrect.) which is par for Ford's new engines.

I'm looking at that and I'm a little confused. It looks like a belt, but it runs over what looks like teeth used to pull a chain.

Notes:

Probably saves a couple of bucks.

That would save a lot ! The 3.5L was the first die cast engine Ford ever made.

• the Dual fuel option is used to meet EPA rules for particulate emissions, if not used Ford may have had to use a particulate filter on this motor.

That EXPLAINS A LOT ! I could not understand why they would add the second set of injectors !

Notes:

From the photos provided by Ford it looks like timing chains are still used. Timing chains typically use the tensioner rails like the ones shown in the photo. Timing belts use a tensioner pulley.

One big change I notice is the in valve gear. The DAMBs have been replaced by finger followers.

That EXPLAINS A LOT ! I could not understand why they would add the second set of injectors !

The original Ecoboost fuel system had issues delivering enough fuel to the engine in higher performance applications. I know that has been talked about for years by tuners of it.

The new uprated Raptorengine must have a block in CGI but this for the F-150 with just 365 hp seems to be the same as the old EcoBoost. Most people thought that this new upgrede would be +411 hp. Shame on Ford.

I doubt Ford will have 2 different materials for blocks of the same engine. Due to the weight loss, it's a safe bet this engine is Al, and it will be Al across the board.

Very interesting on both the new 3.5 Ecoboost and the new 10 speed automatic.

This 2017 3.5 Ecoboost looks to be a refinement of the 2016 3.5 ecoboost engine. Looking at the cross section, the block is an open deck design just like the production 3.5 and 3.7 V6., ie alumium diecast block with cast iron cylinder inserts.

The cylinder heads are revised with finger fowler hydraulic lifters versus the direct mechanical lifter on the old engines.

Also, looks like the turbo flange mounts to an integrated exhaust cylinder heads.

Think that direct injection has very significant cold start particulate issues which is avoided with port fuel injection. Thats allot of money to put into a motor for cold starts though! But to be sure, better than a particulate trap!

So engine has nothing to do with the 2.7/3.0 nano ecoboost V6's.

On automatic, it would be nice to know the ratio spread of the ten speed. ( Mercedes 9 Tronic about 9.16 to 1)

I wonder if base 3.5 V6 non ecoboost engines are also to be upgraded??

Edsel Ford

I saw another video (embedded below) where Ford confirmed it will stay at 365 HP. Very interesting.

The ratio spread is 4.7 to .67.

The new engine will likely use port injection at idle (the video mentioned quietness of port vs. DI), and I would think most of the time in steady-state cruising. PFI can be more efficient at times due to the fact that the fuel doesn't have to be pressurized as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkScQN7fxGg

There's nothing in any of the images I've seen that shows chains or belts. No actuators with teeth, no pulleys.

The only pictures they've shown look like they're of the rear of the engine. The cut-away rendering shows a belt, but that's probably because a belt is easier to draw than a chain.

There is no reason for Ford to up the official power rating... is it already the most powerfully rated class 1 truck.

But I'm sure there will be real power improvements with the new engine.

I think Ram and GM are both rated above the max HP of the F150. Maybe Tundra too (can't remember), and likely the new Titan.