'18 Ford Ranger in Talks?

Ford is NOT going to build a new Ranger to appease Orkin. They will not build to a price point just to appeal to particular fleet customers like that.

Agreed. No different than the F150 strategy. More features, higher ATPs and if fleet customers want to buy them so be it, but they're not going to sacrifice profitable retail sales and features for cheap fleet sales.

I agree that Ford isn't going to build a "new version of the 1993 Ranger" for those who faint at any sticker price over $9999.

And "they need to re-capture Orkin"? Really?. They are not a "charity" to give products away. If Orkin wont bring in profits, tough sh##.

Edited by 630land

Besides, isn't the TC a better answer to the Orkins of the world?

I think they prefer pickups because it keeps the poisons out of the passenger compartment, but I recall reading that one of the big pest control companies (maybe Orkin) was going with the TC. I'm pretty sure I saw an Orkin F150 recently, though.

I'm not sure a Ranger can remain cost competitive if it moves to Aluminum, and the benefits are likely to be less significant for a vehicle that has a relatively heavy frame and a smaller body. However, Aluminum seems to be the only way Ford can be weight competitive short of loosing the frame under the Ranger. I was personally hoping that Ranger and Explorer would be co-developed on the same platform, there is no reason smaller trucks should be on a frame since most of them are going to be bought by Crossover buyers anyway who want the flexibility and lifestyle of a truck but are use to the comfort and spaciousness of a crossover. In any case, I'm sure Ford has done it's homework, and will do what's best for their customer and business. Since they already have a global Ranger, they likely want to leverage those assets instead of recreating them locally for a relatively small and less important customer.

Edited by BORG

I was personally hoping that Ranger and Explorer would be co-developed on the same platform, there is no reason smaller trucks should be on a frame since most of them are going to be bought by Crossover buyers anyway who want the flexibility and lifestyle of a truck but are use to the comfort and spaciousness of a crossover...

The Ridgeline went that route without much success. The other automakers might be gun shy as a result.

BORG;

Are you a truck buyer?

I nearly bought a Colorado when I bought my Edge. I would not have considered a Colorado were it based on the Traverse. I wanted a truck that was slightly smaller than the F150, but still a truck, which is what the Ranger and Colorado are.

Didn't someone recently call you out on the same prognostication about an Aluminum F150 from a couple years ago?

The Ridgeline went that route without much success. The other automakers might be gun shy as a result.

They just launched a new one. The lack of success probably has more to do with the odd design. It's still an odd duckling because of the high bed height, although it's a compelling midsizer this time around.

As for what type of consumer I am, yes I am a truck buyer...I'm also a Crossover buyer. I personally don't like the Colorado/Canyon because the interiors are cramped, the floor is too high so there isn't enough legroom, but that was also true of the Ranger. The GM mid sizers actually make me feel like I'm sitting on the floor while being high off the ground, to me it's something I didn't expect to see in a Truck, but that's one of the problems with a small truck on a big frame.

As for the F-150, I made no such claims about it, I actually wasn't even here when the Aluminum F-Series came out. I was always excited by it, like everybody else I was concerned about the complexity of such a change with a critical product. I'm less convinced now that it was a worthwhile change, but we still need to see more advanced engine and transmissions to move FE up a notch.

Edited by BORG

This seems too risky and expensive, especially if Aluminum isn't a stable commodity like steel.

I'm not a stalker ;) , as I said, Jason called you out on it last month.

I agree with that great automotive prognosticator BORG on this one, this is WAY too risky, no way Ford will EVER be able to deliver an aluminum F-150, let alone do it at a profit! Who are they kidding?

On a different topic, how were the first quarter earnings today ?

Edited by sullynd

The current generation of the Rest-of-World Ranger went on sale in 2012 with a few updates for 2016. By the time the US Ranger (if there is one) goes on sale it should be time for a major redesign and an aluminum body could be part of that design. When all of the other aluminum bodied Ford vehicles are factored in the cost of producing aluminum bodied vehicles should go down. GM will probably introduce an aluminum full-size by then as well. If that happens there would be even less resistance to non-bear proof cages.

The current generation of the Rest-of-World Ranger went on sale in 2012 with a few updates for 2016.

T6 development began in 2006 and was delivered in 2010, not 2012.

By the time the US Ranger (if there is one) goes on sale it should be time for a major redesign and an aluminum body could be part of that design. When all of the other aluminum bodied Ford vehicles are factored in the cost of producing aluminum bodied vehicles should go down. GM will probably introduce an aluminum full-size by then as well. If that happens there would be even less resistance to non-bear proof cages.

The Global Ranger was developed without US inclusion after North America walked away

because it didn't want such a big truck, fearing too much competition with F150,

my how times have changed.

Aluminum body depends entirely on both the need for CAFE and any perceived benefit in elevating perception and price.

The thinking now is that mid sized trucks are reflecting the same product mix as full sized, crew cabs for everyone.

Edited by jpd80

I'm hearing the Focus is done next June/July at MAP. Figure 6 months for retooling. Should be seeing some Rangers around January '18.

that's what I'm hearing too as far as timing goes

However

6 months for retooling? I was under the impression they were going to do the bulk of it as Focus production was winding down, and that there wouldn't be that much down time.

how does this work when the new Mexican plant will begin construction this summer?

how does this work when the new Mexican plant will begin construction this summer?

What do you mean? The last and most concrete thing I heard was about this time last year when BON member MKII posted that Focus and C-Max were headed to Cuactitlian for the next generation.

Even if they wind up at the new plant, how long do you think it takes to build a factory? It's not going to take 5 years like Tesla's gigafactory.

The new plant should be finished before MAP is done. You can hire an army of workers for nothing and work unsafe/fast in Mexico.

Should only take a couple of months to install new equipment. DTP gutted and retooled in 8 weeks. As long as the equipment is ready, once the building is done it should go quick.

And it's not like Ford is starting for ground zero with the new ranger installation, the next generation

is probably going to be an evolution of an already very good design. The plant layout and equipment

are well known with real world experience, the US will probably get full benefit of that experience.

Edited by jpd80

The Mazda factory in Mexico took 18 months from ground breaking to production for retail delivery so I don't think the new Ford factory will take much longer than that.

If ground breaking is summer 2016, that means it will be ready for production winter 2017, just in time for 2018 model year Focus, C-Max, and Model E.

Edited by bzcat

Unless something has changed - and plans do change - the Bronco was slated to come out before the Ranger.

Ranger was suppose to come out in 2019 and the rumored Bronco was suppose to arrive "beyond 2020"...so Bronco is a VERY distant idea at this stage. In either case, Ranger is still 3 years away which is an eternity in car years, much has yet to be revealed.

Edited by BORG

Ranger was suppose to come out in 2019 and the rumored Bronco was suppose to arrive "beyond 2020"...so Bronco is a VERY distant idea at this stage. In either case, Ranger is still 3 years away which is an eternity in car years, much has yet to be revealed.

• New product to be added in 2018 • Additional product planned no later than 2020.

straight from the contract highlights.