Ford Sales Results and Figures: May 2016

Doubtful. Remember it's both demand and SUPPLY and you won't see big incentives unless they're overstocked and Ford has been pretty good about cutting back on production to keep inventory levels from getting too high in the first place.

I meant it more as tongue in cheek-it's a special order.

Low gas prices leads to bigger car sales, but then who is giving us this cheap fuel? Will these people suddenly raise the price? As in 1973?

A lot of reasons why the price of oil, and gasoline, has been low for over a year now. Lack of demand in China, overproduction by several mideast countries, and the rise of fracking in the U.S. I just read the other day that the U.S., because of fracking, is now the #1 oil producer in the world. Who saw that happening?

Analysts note that there were fewer sales days this year vs. last year though.

Good point, jpvbs. There were 24 selling days in May 2016 compared to 26 in May 2015.

On a DSR adjusted basis, Ford Motor Company sales in the U.S. increased 1.4% in May 2016 compared to May 2015.

I agree with this. My wife used to freak out with anything over 100k, but our Flex just turned over 100k last week, and she says she's still good with her car for a few years. This is becoming very common.

Our Flex is about to hit 100k too. I hope it makes it to 200k at least. Next service is going to be pricy on her though (suspension/tires/brakes all need work). Hard to complain though fair fewer issues than my '15 Edge.

I agree with this. My wife used to freak out with anything over 100k, but our Flex just turned over 100k last week, and she says she's still good with her car for a few years. This is becoming very common.

Mine is about to hit 96K. Still looks brand new though and runs well....though there is this annoying headliner rattle above the second row of seats.

Mine is about to hit 96K. Still looks brand new though and runs well....though there is this annoying headliner rattle above the second row of seats.

Mine has a suspension clunk (I suspect sway bar end links, or at least it sounds like when they went bad on my Escape) and last week I noticed rust bubbling up around the drain hole on the tailgate - I'm going to look into getting that cleaned up and repainted. I should replace the Ford emblem on my grill as well - there's a fair amount of blue missing. Otherwise she looks and runs like new.

Our 2005 Focus SE sedan has 229,000 miles on the odometer, and our 2003 Accord EX sedan (four cylinder) has 252,000 miles on the odometer. We'll probably replace the Focus before the end of this year, and the Accord next summer. Yes, cars do last much longer than they used to.

I have 195,000 on my 91 Probe and it is still running. I just bought a 99 Maxima with 116,000 miles on it and it's clean and not even broken in yet. I'm just glad though I didn't settle for some tired old Taurus.

Edited by StangBang

Mine is approaching 200k (almost at 181k right now) and I'm still cool with it for another year or 2 until the Ranger comes out despite literally every piece of trim on the dash and door panels rattling.

178k for me. I'm catching up fast! No rattles on mine. Interior looks new.

178k for me. I'm catching up fast! No rattles on mine. Interior looks new.

Wait until you have to pull your door panel(s) off for anything. The bit that makes up the handle is guaranteed to break a few clips and start flapping.

Oh yeah, mine rolled over to 181k today on my way home from class after my prior post.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Our Flex is about to hit 100k too. I hope it makes it to 200k at least. Next service is going to be pricy on her though (suspension/tires/brakes all need work). Hard to complain though fair fewer issues than my '15 Edge.

Good to see other Flexes doing well. The only issues with ours was the fuel sender (under warranty at < 1k miles) and new shocks and rear brakes. It's throwing an intermittent O2 sensor CEL, and I think the fan control motor is on the fritz (it runs the engine cooling fan even when it doesn't need to), but all in all, not bad for 100k miles.

Wow, quite a few high-mileage Flexes in the community which is interesting. I find that the driver seems to have a huge impact on how well a car holds up. My Dad drives his cars to around 90K every 4 years and doesn't even have to replace the tires. My sister on the other hand destroys her cars in half that time. My cars still have the new car smell by the time I turn them in for the next lease, haha.

Edited by BORG

The industry as a whole was off by 6% for May. Analysts note that there were fewer sales days this year vs. last year though.

GM was off 18%

Toyota off nearly 10%

Honda down 5%

Nissan -1%

FCA managed to be up 1%.

Interestingly, while F-Series had a good up month, Silverado was off nearly 13%, Sierra was down 7% and Ram p/u was down 3%.

And just to add a bit of color to those drops in sales figures

GM went from 293,097 in May 2015 to 240,450 (-18%).

So when we see Ford sales in decline, it's good to remember

that it's not just Ford and going from 250,813 to 235,997 (-5.9%)

and that things could be much much worse.....

GM was a scant, 4,453 sales in front of Ford, a huge draw back...

and what about Mustang - 10,327 (13,616) -24.2%

versus the new Camaro - 5,827 (9,753) -40.3%

Edit,

Something is terribly "off" with Camaro sales, definitely don't need three shifts

across those pitiful Alpha sales......ATS was 1,630 and CTS was 1,082

Edited by jpd80

Camaro is still ramping up production too. Give it a few months to "normalize"

Doesn't help that it barely looks different from the old model! I saw some at a local Chevy dealer and I had to do a double take to see what was actually different on them.

The new Malibu looks horrendous from the front...the rest of the car looks pretty decent, but the front end just doesn't look right from most angles...not sure what is going on there.

The Mustang design is just as iterative as the Camaro, although the Camaro actually went through a bigger architectural transition and looks noticeably smaller. The Camaro is noticeably fresher and modern compared to the previous vehicle. Both are good looking cars and I don't think one looks better than the other, there are many other factors and combinations at play that determine a vehicle's success or not and I really don't think the Camaro has a 'newness' problem at all.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

The difference I see is Ford made a good design better while GM just made a decent design smaller, not better.

Isn't in the other way around? Sixth generation Camaro is the current benchmark among pony cars, winning numerous industry awards. Sixth gen Mustang (other than the Shelby GT350 and GT350R) is certainly a decent product and arguably the best Mustang generation ever, but hasn't really advanced the segment.

I'm strictly talking about styling. Visually there is very little difference on the new Camaro styling - it was really just downsized. Ford made bigger changes to the Mustang shape.

Including making it not look like a "muscle car" anymore [/sarcasm]

A coworker actually told me that a few days ago....

Good to see other Flexes doing well. The only issues with ours was the fuel sender (under warranty at < 1k miles) and new shocks and rear brakes. It's throwing an intermittent O2 sensor CEL, and I think the fan control motor is on the fritz (it runs the engine cooling fan even when it doesn't need to), but all in all, not bad for 100k miles.

I did have to have one of the cooling/radiator fans replaced recently (under extended warranty), and the transmission is starting to act strangely upon light acceleration in the 35-50mph range. Other than those things and the aforementioned headliner rattle, it's been a great car.