Is This Ford F-150 Ad a Counter Punch to the Chevy Silverado “Rock Drop” Attack?

Now, Ford releases an ad titled “The Tough 10 Reasons the Ford F-150 Outpaces Every Other Truck”. It’s a fast-paced piece that starts with a history lesson. The ad shows a key in an ignition of what appears to be an older truck, and a hand trying to start the engine and failing. The narrator says “Those who don’t learn from the past are doomed to drive it.”

Read more here: http://www.tfltruck.com/2016/06/is-this-ford-f-150-ad-a-counter-punch-to-the-chevy-silverado-rock-drop-attack/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSN_c9H9rNE

Edited by Bryan1

I like the "no body rust.... EVER" and the filler can bit lol.

Why on earth did they put a picture of a classic Mustang on the can of filler while talking about rust?

Also, I wouldn't say this is an answer to Chevy's ad. There is way too much production value to have this completed relatively quickly. This thing was probably in production months ago. Good timing though.

Why on earth did they put a picture of a classic Mustang on the can of filler while talking about rust?

Also, I wouldn't say this is an answer to Chevy's ad. There is way too much production value to have this completed relatively quickly. This thing was probably in production months ago. Good timing though.

They probably haves months worth of advertising in the can ready to go at the drop of a hat for situations exactly like this.

• Like 1

What is everybody's take on the Chevy ad? It doesn't look good to me. But first I would say even though Ford is promoting the F150 as tough, if you want a tough work truck, you should buy a Super Duty. But then again if they start making aluminum Super Duties, now you're back to square one. Second, nobody in their right mind would dump a ton of bricks into a pickup bed! But here's the killer: Simply dropping a tool box from just two feet above should NOT poke a hole through the bed! I think they're going to have to go back and make the bed out of steel.

Edited by Joe771476

That's a damn scary thing.... I don't care if it's impractical to drop concrete patio blocks from 5ft in the air or not, it's damn scary...... The tool box is horrendous and I not only feel bad about it, I only hope who ever designed it and came up with the aluminum box gets hit by a tool box. I can say I'm team GM, I would never buy this truck, especially now, because it's to use and abuse with work.... Now, I don't sit there hitting it with a sledgehammer or something, but if you do you're own projects, you know what I mean..... I remodel apartments and flip homes for a living......

I don't care if it's impractical to drop concrete patio blocks from 5ft in the air or not, it's damn scary......

You can set up any random experiment you want to cause a material to fail, but that doesn't make it anything more than a sideshow stunt. It's no more valid to test by dropping patio blocks into the bed than it is to take a sledgehammer and start punching holes in the bed with a railroad spike, because both are exceedingly unlikely to happen in the real world.

You can set up any random experiment you want to cause a material to fail, but that doesn't make it anything more than a sideshow stunt. It's no more valid to test by dropping patio blocks into the bed than it is to take a sledgehammer and start punching holes in the bed with a railroad spike, because both are exceedingly unlikely to happen in the real world.

Maybe not for the average man who hauls with his truck and doesn't do much work..... We throw items all the time..... Hand tools, large refrigeration carts, table saws, refrigerators, stoves, large heavy lumber depending on the project, and we will be redoing our pool bordering concrete patio, with pavers, and all the concrete would be dump in the bed, maybe not as radical as the video suggests, but nonetheless it's the same idea. Everyone has automatically assumed it's hauling good concrete.... What about like in my case the stuff you're replacing? It's gotta go somewhere if you can't reuse it, or don't have room....... I always have a bed liner, so realistically it wouldn't be too bad, but the whole point is, if the bed is that thin or weak that a simple toolbox, which I toss in my bed not accidentally btw, can pierce the bed that much, what other faults is in that bed? Will it just give out with max payload? Will it go into shambles after some years? I'd rather not find out with mine....... Let someone else take the risk, not me..... It's scary for the aluminum body too honestly. I know all about the crash tests, good and bad.....

Maybe not for the average man who hauls with his truck and doesn't do much work.....

The bed of my truck doesn't look factory fresh, and I've thrown lots of junk in the beds of pickups, but I don't see any reason to drop a ton of materials into the bed of any pickup from a height of five feet. That's not normal usage, it's abuse.

Anyone see the new Honda Ridgeline YouTube video emulating the GM truck test? They dump a bunch of bricks into the composite bed. Faired better than GM and Ford....

I did not see the Ridgeline comparison, because I would rather get beaten with dildo's by a gang before owning a FWD Ridgeline.......

Ford has sold about a million aluminum F150s.

If it were especially easy to puncture that aluminum, don't you think that it'd be all over the internet, a la the busted/blown 3V spark plugs?

No, because I think Ford has sold near all of them with bedliners, and the ones without probably just took it as shit happens when you do a lot of work.......