5.0 Ecoboost?

While I have been impatiently waiting for the 2017 Raptor to replace my current one, I was searching for new info on the order guide for the 2017, which I was told would be available in June, and came across this article suggesting a 5.0 Ecoboost being available for the Raptor.

Hopefully this story hasn't been posted before, since this article is a little old, but has anyone seen this information before?

Here's an exert from it:

The EcoBoost 5.0 V8 program has been under development for a several years, and first made its public appearance in the Cobra Jet program in late-2012. The underlying purpose of the EcoBoost V8 project was to power the next-gen GT500. The 5.2L FPC program contributed to delaying the 5.0 EcoBoost program, but this V8 Twin-Turbo program is now on track again, and will make its debut in the next GT500 and 2018 F-150 Raptor, and could possibly become a second-motor option for the 2017 model year Raptor

http://horsepowerkings.com/the-f-150-raptor-will-receive-the-ecoboost-5-0-twin-turbo-v8-in-2018/

Now granted, this story appears to be full of rumor and inuendo, but if there is truth in it, it might be enough for me to wait for the new V8.

Any thoughts?

1. I wouldn't rely on Horsepower Kings.

2. Here's where you might expect to see a 5.0L EcoBoost: http://www.KingCobraForum.com ;)

The only thing I find funny about this that Ford might be (well will most likely be using) a name plate from a Mustang that was a total dog at the height of the Malize car era for its next gen top dog Mustang. Are they going to put hood graphics on it like the Firebird? LOL

Here's an exert from it:

The EcoBoost 5.0 V8 program has been under development for a several years, ... this V8 Twin-Turbo program is now on track again, and will make its debut in the next GT500 and 2018 F-150 Raptor ...

I just don't buy it, for a couple of reasons.

• Look at the Coyote head. With 4 valves and a spark plug, where are they going to put the direct injector ?
  • One of the big changes for the 2017 3.5L EcoBoost was the ADDITION of port injection. That is a HUGE cost. Why ? Because direct injection will NOT meet future particulate emissions standards without a particulate trap.

• Look at the Coyote head. With 4 valves and a spark plug, where are they going to put the direct injector ?
  • One of the big changes for the 2017 3.5L EcoBoost was the ADDITION of port injection. That is a HUGE cost. Why ? Because direct injection will NOT meet future particulate emissions standards without a particulate trap.

I thought the did the port injector along with direct injection to alleviate the carbon deposit problem that is happening with direct injection alone.

I thought the did the port injector along with direct injection to alleviate the carbon deposit problem that is happening with direct injection alone.

From my understanding, this has not been a major issue with the EB engines due to the way they were designed and being turboed.

<p>

Here's the thing though, there's allegedly been mules seen testing around town with turbocharged 5.0 engines in them.

I think a 5.0EB is possible. I don't see it going into a F150. Maybe the 'Stang and Super Duty's.

With new CAFE and emissions requirements, a 5.0EB would be a beast for a F150. I just don't see it happening. Not since the updated 3.5EB in the Raptor will be able to fill the need more than enough the way it is.

My guess would be in those flats at the bottom of the combustion chambers that you can see in the pic below. It sure looks like they have something planned but not implemented.

m5lp_1003_49_o+50_coyote_engine+coyote_h

Interestingly enough, those flats aren't there on the 5.2FPC heads, at least in the pics I've been able to find.

Edited by SoonerLS
  • Like 1

My guess would be in those flats at the bottom of the combustion chambers that you can see in the pic below. It sure looks like they have something planned but not implemented.

m5lp_1003_49_o+50_coyote_engine+coyote_h

Interestingly enough, those flats aren't there on the 5.2FPC heads, at least in the pics I've been able to find.

Aren't those flats on the exhaust side?

DI was planned and incorporated into the 5.0L V8's design, as well as supercharging. Mention of both starts in paragraph 15 of this link.

I think turbocharging would be a packaging nightmare for the Mustang. A DI supercharged 5.0L could be made very powerful and fit right in.

but is it anymore of a nightmare on plumbing than the hundreds of thousands of V6 EBs Ford has been doing for years?

Two extra cylinders does make a difference I know but is that enough to knock the idea or is a good screw blower just more compact in terms of packaging?

Given the S/C Coyote has been built for years by FPV and Ford Aust. I'm sure a lot is known about making that set up uber reliable.

Something is in the works for sure.

but is it anymore of a nightmare on plumbing than the hundreds of thousands of V6 EBs Ford has been doing for years?

Two extra cylinders does make a difference I know but is that enough to knock the idea or is a good screw blower just more compact in terms of packaging?

Given the S/C Coyote has been built for years by FPV and Ford Aust. I'm sure a lot is known about making that set up uber reliable.

Something is in the works for sure.

V8s are 90degrees between banks, V6s are 60 degrees between banks.

thus V8s are wider than V6s that hurts because turbos sit on the outside of the engine which can make V8s even wider.