2017 F-150 3.5EB Rated at 375HP/470ft-lbs, more then expected

That puts it 10lb/ft ahead of the 6.2l GM V8. How much more does GM have to give with the LS other than going to more displacement. I'm sure they could do the typical hotrodding things, but that typically means it narrows the power band.

Would be nice to get that HP above the 400HP in the smaller 3.0T at Lincoln, but I understand trucks need torque more than raw HP numbers. It also means there won't be a need for that engine in other applications outside of RWD and Trucks.

Sub 5 second 0-60 time? Just wonder what the Raptor is going to have, 500/500 or 450/500?

Didn't Raj Nair spill the beans already - 450HP.

There's a lot of latitude between 375 HP and 630 HP in Ford GT....

I wonder if Explorer and PIU get the updated 3.5 EB power and torque

there may be an opportunity to gap competitors even further.

Edited by jpd80

The question begs, has Ford delivered a top choice engine with the fuel economy of a mid level engine? Does the new gen EB 3.5 powered aluminum bodied F150 beat the 6.2 GM 1500 offering in the fuel economy wars?

Well, since the old 3.5L with the 6 speed did, I'm pretty confident that the new 3.5L with the 10 speed will do even better.

The question begs, has Ford delivered a top choice engine with the fuel economy of a mid level engine? Does the new gen EB 3.5 powered aluminum bodied F150 beat the 6.2 GM 1500 offering in the fuel economy wars?

GM 6.2 8AT 4x2 and 4x4 = 21 mpg

EB 3.5 6AT 4x2 = 24 mpg

EB 3.5 6AT 4x4 = 22 mpg

Edited by jpd80

Wow, I didn't realize Ford was gapping GM like that in fuel economy. The 10 speed should help even more.

I still say Ford is the only one of the "Big 3" that is already on it's way to meeting new EPA and CAFE regs to be in full effect by 2025.

Looks to me like GM, FCA and maybe Toyota need a full revamp of their strategies to meet those impending standards.

Ford could be 5 years to a decade ahead of the competition in many ways.

And, see, on that Autoblog post, there was a text-wall comment about how come the 3.5EB was "less impressive" than GM's 6.2. Talked about how the Escalade was much faster 0-60 (higher HP will do that) and more efficient "in the real world" (whose real world, though?).

If anything, statements like those show how the newer powertrain (LT1 + 8AT) is usually incrementally more impressive than the older technology for a little while. For a little while.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

And, see, on that Autoblog post, there was a text-wall comment about how come the 3.5EB was "less impressive" than GM's 6.2. Talked about how the Escalade was much faster 0-60 (higher HP will do that) and more efficient "in the real world" (whose real world, though?).

If anything, statements like those show how the newer powertrain (LT1 + 8AT) is usually incrementally more impressive than the older technology for a little while. For a little while.

It also shows that GM fanbois will be fanbois no matter what. And yes, Ford fanbois do the same.

• Like 3

If you drive a EB like you would a V8, you will probably be less than impressed with the engine. If you drive a V8 as you would an EB, same thing.

Novel idea, but maybe folks should drive each to their strengths. I know, I know, silly me.

My Explorer Sport has always exceeded the EPA ratings. Yet, I am basically called a liar from those who hate the engine. Yep, that is me................. lying for the last 62K miles. :D

• Like 1

If you drive a EB like you would a V8, you will probably be less than impressed with the engine. If you drive a V8 as you would an EB, same thing.

Novel idea, but maybe folks should drive each to their strengths. I know, I know, silly me.

My Explorer Sport has always exceeded the EPA ratings. Yet, I am basically called a liar from those who hate the engine. Yep, that is me................. lying for the last 62K miles. :D

Liar! :)

• Like 1

Liar! :)

Fangirl! ;)

• Like 1