Would you buy a car with no AM radio? (Tesla Model X)

sullynd

I would bet most Model X customers and the demographic it's aimed at don't list to AM or FM radio at all.

Sure, who listens to radio for music? But AM is not about music.

AM is largely sports and talk. I listen to AM mostly for local talk (WGN 720) and while I can stream that, sports are often blacked out.

The demographic that listens to AM talk is largely the same as the demo who can and do purchase the Model X (likely less so the Model 3).

I have AM/FM Radio, Sirius, SYNC, and a 6 disc changer.....

...and summer nights are still most perfect driving down a country road with the moonroof open, windows down, and a baseball game on AM radio.

:) I grew up listening to Marty and Joe on 700 WLW "The Big One" announcing Cincinnati Reds games. Now it is Marty, Jim, The Cowboy and Thom. Watch them mostly on Fox Sports now, but when out and about I will get them on the old AM. If in the Cincinnati Area, the Superduty brings them in HD! :love_shower:

• Like 1

AM is great for sports and occasionally talk radio. As someone who drives extensively for work it is nice to not listen to music 100% of the time.

I agree, I often end up on MLB Network Radio on Sirius for that very reason (plus I'm interested in it), but don't often tune into AM radio.

AM radio is the sound of depression to me, it's such a horrible mumble.

HD AM radio is in stereo and sounds really close to FM. Not sure how popular these stations are.

It isn't as good as HD on the FM band, though, which is just like CDs.

Hopefully the Model X can accommodate aftermarket head units if someone wants other features not found on the OEM. I'm glad my Ford does, it's great to be able to get update the tech without replacing the whole car.

AM is great for sports and occasionally talk radio. As someone who drives extensively for work it is nice to not listen to music 100% of the time.

That's what I use podcasts for. I can only handle sports talk for so long, beating the same tired topics further into the ground than the RWD Lincstang rumors.

What is AM radio?

For that matter - what is FM radio?

I can't stand all the commercials.

I define AM radio as a signal that has poor sound quality full of distortion that sounds like an FM. The AM station can be 10 feet away from the car but sound like an FM station that is 10 miles out of range. Most of the weaker signals have other stations broadcasting over them so that the radio alternates between the two signals.

My first car had an AM radio and I usually drove in silence until I bought a new radio for the car.

I thought the purpose of Sports radio game broadcasts was in case the game was blacked out on TV. Never heard of blacking out a game on radio.

MLB and NFL both black out games on web streams. MLB has an app where you can stream any game live for a few (I think it's $20) and for a season the cost is well worth it if you're a baseball fan.

NFL has archaic blackout policies and hate their fans so you're SOL there.

I used to listen to 1010WINS religiously when I lived in NY (I am a news junkie). Now that I moved to CT I can still get 1010 but never listen anymore because it is mostly local NY news that no longer pertains to me. I mostly listen to the live national cable news channels on Sirius when I want a news fix.

"HD AM radio" is an even worse misnomer than HD FM. It's not really high definition, it just means that the signal is digital transmitted over analog radio waves just like HDTV. It doesn't mean anything about the quality of the audio.

While true that "AM HD" is indeed digital radio transmission on the AM band, in a similar fashion to FM; it is not utter crap. Due to the nature of AM radio transmission, it has a lower bandwidth for data transmission than FM. This means that it can only manage to move a portion of the data per unit of time that can be fit in an FM signal. While digital radio transmission allows for data compression and naturally sends a bit more usable information than old analog AM, it can't achieve the same effective signal quality as FM HD. This results in sound quality that is roughly similar to FM analog, and in stereo, for AM HD. So, as compared to analog AM, AM HD is indeed a higher definition signal.

I tealize that some of you know this well, I felt that it would be helpful for the general audience to know more of the details. There are other limitations for AM HD as opposed to FM HD, but they aten't relevant to this discussion.

I understand it's higher quality - no disagreement. HD FM sounds quite good. My issue is that the improvement in sound quality for HD radio does not match the improvement in the tv signal going from analog SD to HDTV. HDTV also has a set standard for picture quality (720p, 1080i/p, 4K) whereas I don't think that exists for HD radio. So yes it's high-ER definition but not may not really be high definition in the same sense as HDTV.

Well, honestly, HD FM and Satellite radio both sound the same to me, clean and tonally full. I'm not an audio connoisseur though, so I'm a poor judge of that. Also, there are standards for HD Radio in so much as there are only a few defined bit-rates and power levels available to transmit on. FM HD formats are up to an individual station to decide with the constraints being the encoding method, and the bandwidth allotted to each digital stream and the analog stream. A station may elect to be digital only, and transmit just one stream at 300 Kbps. This can accommodate CD quality audio in 5.1 channel surround sound, or higher quality with fewer channels. That can be subdivided into an analog channel, an HD simulcast of equivalent or better quality (HD1) and additional channels that can have quality that ranges from better than analog down to barely as good as AM Motorola stereo. AM Hd is much more restricted, it can support a single pure digital stream at 60 Kbps, or a more robust 20Kbps mode.

Conflating the TV HD standards with FM HD or AM HD is not appropriate. The HD is a trade name and not an indication of fidelity as it is in the TV world. Though, I have to agree, it is disappointing when a station doesn't use the higher quality modes.

Conflating the TV HD standards with FM HD or AM HD is not appropriate. The HD is a trade name and not an indication of fidelity as it is in the TV world. Though, I have to agree, it is disappointing when a station doesn't use the higher quality modes.

But consumers don't know all that. They see HD and immediately equate it with HDTV.

It would have been better labeled digital radio.