Ford Bronco will ride again, says CEO Mark Fields at Detroit auto show

If true, don't get your hopes up on removable anything. (take with an entire shaker of salt)

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/alleged-ford-designer-drops-juicy-details-on-new-bronco-1791025337

As for styling, when asked if the new Bronco would take cues from Broncos of yore, the Redditor said “Not really, both vehicles will be based on current production models,” referring to the SUV and the new Ranger.

Now THAT I don't believe at all. No way Ford would bring back a Bronco and make it look like an Everest.

I'm calling Shenanigans.

Here's the Reddit AMA mentioned: https://www.reddit.com/r/fordranger/comments/5n1qxp/i_am_a_designer_at_ford_motor_company_product/

Some of his answers (again not verified by Ford or anyone):

Most are answers re: the Ranger, but some Bronco stuff.

I hear what you are saying. This truck will be a competitor to the Colorado. Our design team does not have the autonomy to change the hood, companies have already been contracted to produce the current design of most body panels. The new truck will be a facelifted T6. Our biggest consideration is preventing cannibalism of sales from the F-150.

Unfortunately, it will never resemble 4th-Gen Rangers. We have done extensive market research and that size of truck will simply not be profitable. By 2011 the Ranger's sales were being entirely propped up by fleet purchases, same as the Crown Victoria. People smarter than me that get paid more than me have made all of these decisions already, and I say this with a heavy heart, as a 4th-gen owner myself.

Drivetrain combinations have not been finalized, we are watching the sales of the diesel Colorado and also are monitoring the fallout from Volkswagen's Dieselgate. The main problem is we are worried that a light truck like this with a diesel engine would be associated with the SUVs that VW put their TDI into. We expect the combinations to be finalized by this next year's Auto Show here in Detroit.

It will be an Americanized version of what you have in Australia. .....It will be a facelifted T6

We're working on a few different designs for market testing! One does resemble the F-150.

We are benchmarking the Wrangler Unlimited for design considerations on the Bronco, but the doors/roof/windshield won't move. There's lots of OJ jokes around the office here but I have a feeling the marketing guys will be trying to avoid him ;)

Both vehicles will likely have similar off road capabilities in their off-road oriented trim level. One of our most important considerations is to prevent one vehicle from cannibalizing sales from another vehicle in the Ford lineup. This is why the Bronco will take an extra year to be released, we're having a bit of a tough time fitting it into the SUV lineup, which by 2020 will have 6 other SUVs already.

It's unlikely that it will be termed "Raptor" and it won't be quite as capable as the Raptor, but there will be an off road-oriented trim.

Super Cab will have the 6' bed, Crew Cab will have the 5' bed.

The main body of it will look identical to what it is now. We are authorized to change the headlights, grille, and front fascia for a facelift. We may be allowed to modify the fenders if interest in the vehicle explodes, but as of right now we can't do that.

No, the body will be reinforced to meet crash test standards, the interior will be completely redone for the U.S. Market, and the drivetrain combinations will be unique for North America.

Edited by Anthony

I also don't believe a Ford designer would do such a thing publicly - even if it's misinformation.

Yeah, I read elsewhere that this same person said that the Bronco was just a refreshed Everest. I don't believe that at all, and would be a waste of bringing back the name if that's all it is.

I just can't see them going through all the effort of reintroducing both of these for them to be just minor refreshes of the existing vehicles.

Joe Hinrichs said yesterday it (Ranger) will be "all new"

Plus the bits about the Bronco directly contradicts what I've heard. I trust my source way more.

I'm calling shenanigans as well

At the moment, T6 Ranger's interior dimensions are close to Gen 1 Explorer Sportrac

and I'm wondering if the next Ranger grows slightly to the same size as Gen 2 Sportrac.

In that situation, the companion, Bronco would then be similar size to the last BOF Explorer

and letting Ford come more or less full circle..

Edited by jpd80

Plus the bits about the Bronco directly contradicts what I've heard. I trust my source way more.

To be fair, "all new" can be an exercise in semantics, as technically, even if it came as is, it would be "all new" to the US/NA market......but I still don't believe that will be the case (that it is indeed completely new).

Depends how you interpret "all new". Is it all new as compared to the current T6 or just all new to the US market? IIRC the motorauthority.com article said they were updating the T6 platform, whatever that means. They also stated that the Everest would have a longer wheelbase than the Bronco.

My personal preference for the Ranger would be to keep the current size but update the styling to look more like the 2018 F-150. Square up the shoulders a bit maybe. If they did something like that maybe the Bronco and Ranger could even share some sheetmetal and still have a retro Bronco look.

Edit: I hear an echo in here. You guys type too fast for me. LOL.

Edited by blksn8k2

My personal preference for the Ranger would be to keep the current size but update the styling to look more like the 2018 F-150. Square up the shoulders a bit maybe. If they did something like that maybe the Bronco and Ranger could even share some sheetmetal and still have a retro Bronco look.

Edit: I hear an echo in here. You guys type too fast for me. LOL.

IMO the current Ranger and even the Colorado are "too soft" styling wise for a Pickup. I'm going to assume the Ranger will get the new F-series grill and new headlights, which should help fix that problem.

I disagree. I think one of the problems that the last generation (04-05) midsize tricks failed was that they had too similar styling as the full size trucks. They had the same "feel."

What I like about Chevys tricks is that the Silverado is convervative, handsome, and serious looking, while the Colorado looks less conservative, sporty, and more "fun." I hope the 2020 Ranger is similar....like how the 1998 Ranger looked like the F-150's spunkier, more fun little buddy. Kinda like Robin to Batman.

Oh for the luv of milk duds and movie popcorn we dont want a damn 4 door bronc...talk about a buzz kill...manual lockouts, dana 300, ford 9inch in back, dana 44 up front and a real transmission and not that crappy dct or whatever ford uses and it will have some use..it dont need no damn 10inch lectro whizzer bang stuff either like some gosh awful connectivity crap to a kremlin orbiting satellite..if it rusts as fast as the real broncs prior to 78 that will be a huge plus too...