Any truth to this?

According to the WSM the transmission will have to come out to get the flex plate off. I didn't watch the whole thing because the guy is a tool. I never understood why techs get so pissed about how a vehicle is engineered. If they didn't break we wouldn't make any money. It's not all that uncommon to need to remove transmission for an upper oil pan. If vehicles never needed repairs over an oil change, then techs wouldn't exist. Quit bitching and fix the damn thing already. Spent more time making a video than working.

• Like 6

It's not all that uncommon to need to remove transmission for an upper oil pan.

Snapped a serpentine belt?

Okay, so why would anyone think that repairing the damage caused by a failure that rare should be easy?

I mean *good grief* this ain't 1976 where you're going to have to drop the oil pan at 100,000 miles because all the bearings are shot.

Guy is bitching but has a beautiful shop, nice lift, a parts dept at his disposal and lots of factory technical training.

I'll bet this guy doesn't remember when you had to pull the rear end, torque tube and transmission (which includes pulling a portion of the floor pan to get the shifter out) just to change out a clutch.

I do I did one last year on an early car, ON THE FLOOR!!!

Yeah.... O.K., I run a fleet maintenance facility for a public utility, and we have some 2011-up 6.7L Powerstroke F-550's. They are much better, reliability-wise, than any previous Powerstroke we have owned. No question. However, they are an absolute nightmare to to any work on, MUCH more difficult that competitive GM and Ram trucks. I can't get my guys to work on them beyond routine maintenance. Even if they wanted to, I can't tie up a man and a service stall/hoist for the time it would take to to the job in the video. So, it's off to the dealer for any major work. So far, it has pretty much been warranty anyway, so let Ford pay for it.

That having been said, my advice to anyone considering purchasing one of these has been to get a 'factory' extended warranty, and sell the truck before the warranty expires! You don't want to be holding the bag on this one if it goes sideways on you. I suspect these trucks will disappear rapidly in 10 years, they will be so expensive to repair it won't be worth keeping them on the road. I am already hearing of major engine work on a 6.7L costing over $14,000 out of warranty.

To remove the oil pan on a duramax, the engine needs to come out, or at least the trans out and front diff dropped. So I am not seeing how this is strictly a Ford issue.

The 6.7 is tight, but it's more intimidating looking than it is. Several components come off in large chunks. The 6.4 required the cab pulled most of the time. The 6.7 Ford tried to make it a little more serviceable cab on.

Any diesel is ridiculously expensive to fix. Only two reasons I can think you would need $14k repair. Catastrophic engine failure or put urea fluid in fuel and need the entire fuel system replaced. Which is about $6k IIRC.

Getting an extended warranty is a good idea anytime you plan to keep a vehicle a long time. Also, more than likely and major failure will show up before the 100k mark. The 6.7 had some value issues for 2011 but wasn't very common at our shop. Most of the time it's EGT sensors or Egr coolers, some coolant leaks or customer put urea in the fuel.

To remove the oil pan on a duramax, the engine needs to come out, or at least the trans out and front diff dropped. So I am not seeing how this is strictly a Ford issue.

The 6.7 is tight, but it's more intimidating looking than it is. Several components come off in large chunks. The 6.4 required the cab pulled most of the time. The 6.7 Ford tried to make it a little more serviceable cab on.

Any diesel is ridiculously expensive to fix. Only two reasons I can think you would need $14k repair. Catastrophic engine failure or put urea fluid in fuel and need the entire fuel system replaced. Which is about $6k IIRC.

Getting an extended warranty is a good idea anytime you plan to keep a vehicle a long time. Also, more than likely and major failure will show up before the 100k mark. The 6.7 had some value issues for 2011 but wasn't very common at our shop. Most of the time it's EGT sensors or Egr coolers, some coolant leaks or customer put urea in the fuel.

Yes, about $6k with a little mark up on the fuel system change but most dealers are charging $8-10k..

And I still don't get how people put DEF in the fuel tank. There is a member that just did this on the diesel forum I'm on. Fortunately he didn't crank it so he dropped the tank and cleaned it all out, the filler neck and the lines from the tank. I just don't understand how one can confuse this...

20150330_124741_zpsavihvssl.jpg

Yes, about $6k with a little mark up on the fuel system change but most dealers are charging $8-10k..

And I still don't get how people put DEF in the fuel tank. There is a member that just did this on the diesel forum I'm on. Fortunately he didn't crank it so he dropped the tank and cleaned it all out, the filler neck and the lines from the tank. I just don't understand how one can confuse this...

20150330_124741_zpsavihvssl.jpg

We had a couple customers do that also. Best thing is not to start it. I think sales people need to stress this to the customers. Don't put urea in the fuel ever.

Yes, you have to remove the transmission and flywheel to get the upper oil pan off a Duramax too (front diff/carrier drops out pretty easy), BUT, you do not have to remove the oil pan to get timing cover off. Curious to know how the belt wrecked the cover on the subject truck.

The $14,000 repair was an engine that destroyed itself, think it dropped a valve. Freak occurrence sure, but it does happen once in a while. Out of warranty.

We recruit a lot of our techs from Ford dealers. One is an absolute master of the 6.0L Powerstroke.

Edited by 7Mary3

So I wonder how long it would actually take to do the job if took a teaspoon of cement and got to it...

See.I'm of the mind that the customer is gonna pay and if you get in and make a big effort,

they are more likely to come on board and appreciate the effort, no point in complaining

that Ford created all this extra work for you to do and charge for.......

And like 7Maty3 said,

If you were a fleet manger you'd buy the extended warranty and flick the issue back to the dealership.

Remembering that none of this would be required if the broken belt hadn't damaged the timing cover...

Ford may be better off avoiding that happening than redesigning the timing cover.

Edited by jpd80

HE is, what we call in the industry, a typical gravy sucking bitch who refuses to touch a transmission no matter what. The 6R140 can be on the floor in about an hour... Or you can have the cab off in about the same amount of time.

His lunch box is chocked full of mashed taters! LOL