Ford's new CEO plans action blitz in first 100 days

In order to "increase innovation" Ford needs a fast acting, customer driven IT organization ("Customer" in this case means engineering.) They are still in "you can't do that mode" that started with SARBANES-OXLEY.

All first level tech support is overseas done by people who do not speak English as their first language. Second level support is on a 48 hour schedule ! In this day and age, 48 hours is forever.

On the higher end side of things, I like what Volvo has been doing with their vehicles lately. Much better than the Japanese, and IMHO, just as good or better than the Germans.

Personally, that's the similar direction I'd like to see Lincoln taking design wise. It's not trying to be over the top. But a lot of features for the buck.

On the higher end side of things, I like what Volvo has been doing with their vehicles lately. Much better than the Japanese, and IMHO, just as good or better than the Germans.

Personally, that's the similar direction I'd like to see Lincoln taking design wise. It's not trying to be over the top. But a lot of features for the buck.

Agreed, the new XC90 is very sharp.

Absolutely. It's a lazy, copy/cut/paste design. Models within in a brand should look familial without being homogenous. They could have played with different headlight/taillight designs. A blacked-out A-pillar would have looked a lot better. If you're gonna copy Range Rover, at least do it right. All of those wheel designs it's offered with don't even compliment the body; they only exist because they're trendy.

FYI, I would not have dumped the last design language to begin with. I can't count how many decent design languages they've gone through over the years because they never gave them a chance. That's pretty much the reason why Lincoln has never developed a distinctive visual identity. When something underperformed at Ford, they always were quick to blame design (even if it's not responsible). That's how we ended up with the Oval Taurus; they thought a radical design would set showrooms on fire.

I'm sorry, but what exactly on the Navigator is a copy of the Range Rover?

At least you didn't say it's a copy of the GM SUVs like those at GMI tried to argue.

I completely agree. Sadly, though, it's sales have been declining the last few months.

I just looked at the "all new" XC60 too. Similar styling. I would cross shop it with a MKC, relatively speaking. But bang for the buck, the Volvo wins. That's where Lincoln needs to step up their game with the MKC. They've started down the right path with the MKZ and Continental.

Ford doesn't have a problem with styling. The cars and trucks are good-looking, in my opinion. As others have noted, the problem is that they often aren't revised enough during the mid-cycle change so that potential customers notice the change.

• Like 1

I just looked at the "all new" XC60 too. Similar styling. I would cross shop it with a MKC, relatively speaking. But bang for the buck, the Volvo wins. That's where Lincoln needs to step up their game with the MKC. They've started down the right path with the MKZ and Continental.

Yeah, that XC60 does look pretty good.

---

Also, I just saw this picture that I hadn't seen before, figured it was worth posting.

Lincoln-The-Surf-Lodge-720x340.jpg

Also, I just saw this picture that I hadn't seen before, figured it was worth posting.

That's a great picture. I really believe Lincoln is finally moving in the right direction.

Now if we can just get some better separation of Ford and Lincoln showrooms at those shared dealerships. I would like to see Lincoln be more independent at the dealer level. I love Ford, but it would be beneficial for Lincoln to get some separation for its luxury brand status.

That's a great picture. I really believe Lincoln is finally moving in the right direction.

Now if we can just get some better separation of Ford and Lincoln showrooms at those shared dealerships. I would like to see Lincoln be more independent at the dealer level. I love Ford, but it would be beneficial for Lincoln to get some separation for its luxury brand status.

That's what Lincoln wants too but unfortunately they can't force the dealers to do it.

Yes, every time I drive by the Ford/Lincoln dealership near me, the vehicles are all piled together and there is little separation of the two brands. It's a shame because it's a higher income area and they could be targeting those customers more effectively with its own showroom.

That's what Lincoln wants too but unfortunately they can't force the dealers to do it.

Which is ironic because a few years ago, they closed most of the standalone stores and wanted them to pair with a Ford store.

But it would definitely be beneficial for Lincoln to have separate showrooms.

Yes, every time I drive by the Ford/Lincoln dealership near me, the vehicles are all piled together and there is little separation of the two brands. It's a shame because it's a higher income area and they could be targeting those customers more effectively with its own showroom.

Even with seperate Lincoln dealerships, they are often franchised out with other brands. The closest Lincoln dealer to me (supposedly the county I live in is in the top 1.2% of counties by wealth in the US and 56th in personal per capita income) has a Mazda dealer and I think at one point even sold Mitsubishi's there also.

I did find two stand-alone Lincoln dealers in NY/NJ- Wayne and White Plains

Edited by silvrsvt

Which is ironic because a few years ago, they closed most of the standalone stores and wanted them to pair with a Ford store.

But it would definitely be beneficial for Lincoln to have separate showrooms.

I thought they were only getting rid of the marginal dealerships who wouldn't have upgraded anyway.

This is the way my dealership used to do it and I liked it better that way.When I bought my 07 MKX, they had Ford,Mercury and Lincoln at one location and Lincoln and Mercury at the other. Since I always bought from the same salesman (9 vehicles) I bought it at the Ford location.

By the time I bought my 12 MKT, Mercury was gone the Ford location stocked only Fords, while the other location became Lincoln and Volvo.Now, the reason I prefer the old way is I don't look like a Lincoln customer and didn't get treated like one at that location. There were times I was there that nobody even spoke to me.I bought the MKT from my Ford salesman.When I went over to the Lincoln store with my salesman to pick it up, you would have thought Bill Ford walked in with the reaction when they realized I was there for the MKT.

• Like 1

This is the way my dealership used to do it and I liked it better that way.When I bought my 07 MKX, they had Ford,Mercury and Lincoln at one location and Lincoln and Mercury at the other. Since I always bought from the same salesman (9 vehicles) I bought it at the Ford location.

By the time I bought my 12 MKT, Mercury was gone the Ford location stocked only Fords, while the other location became Lincoln and Volvo.Now, the reason I prefer the old way is I don't look like a Lincoln customer and didn't get treated like one at that location. There were times I was there that nobody even spoke to me.I bought the MKT from my Ford salesman.When I went over to the Lincoln store with my salesman to pick it up, you would have thought Bill Ford walked in with the reaction when they realized I was there for the MKT.

Your experience is not unique. It's bullshit, but it unfortunately happens.

The only vehicle I felt should have been released with a bit more styling "pizzazz" was the new Edge. I remember when it first came out I liked it, but now just a very short time later it seems quite vanilla / generic when I see it on the roads in comparison to some of the other more daring designs on midsize CUVs.

The only vehicle I felt should have been released with a bit more styling "pizzazz" was the new Edge. I remember when it first came out I liked it, but now just a very short time later it seems quite vanilla / generic when I see it on the roads in comparison to some of the other more daring designs on midsize CUVs.

I felt the latest refresh was just enough to make it more attractive and sporty looking.

Your experience is not unique. It's bullshit, but it unfortunately happens.

I think he was saying he liked when nobody paid attention to him.....he went to his Ford salesman and that was that. And didn't like it when they treated him like "Bill Ford" when he walked into the Lincoln dealer.

I think that's the opposite of most luxury buyers.....most luxury buyers like that special treatment.

That's OK, I still like you. :)

I think the current Edge looks great!

Agree-looks so much better IMO. One of my neighbors has a new Limited. They always drove Volvos and when I asked her how she liked it I got an enthusiastic.."best ever". In fact one of her sons (currently in a Volvo) is going to get one.