Ford CEO pushing speed to shake up automaker

Flex and MKT share a 117.9" wheelbase.

Edge - 2.0EB, 3.5L, 2.7EB

MKX - 3.7L, 2.7T (EB)

Flex - 3.5L, 3.5EB

MKT - 3.7L, 3.5T (EB)

MKT shares only its' base powertrain with MKX's base powertrain, and likewise with Flex/Edge, while the Flex and MKX both share the 3.5EB/T. It'd be a lot of resources put into it just to produce a few hundred units a month at best. At least now, combined Flex/MKT are around 2,300-2,500 a month.

Wikipedia had the wrong wheelbase for MKT. They can still keep MKT without Flex if they want to do it to keep MKT for fleet sales. Not saying they need to do it.

^ better they keep the Flex without the MKT (( or - base a temporary X-Lg on the Flex, imho ))

My guess on Flex and MKT is that they will live as long as there are other FWD Ford vehicles using 3.5/3.7 + 6F automatic. Once Ford switch Edge, Explorer, Fusion etc to 9 speed automatic, Flex and MKT will bow out.

interesting thumb.gif but Really?

afaik, since the GM-9-speed is supposed to be quite small, it oughta fit easily...

Edited by 2b2

It feels like were in the in between time where everything still seems to be drifting along

but we're becoming aware that big changes may be happening behind the scenes.

I know that Australia really wants the 3-Row Edge there as a replacement for the Territory

and actually gave up allocations of the UK RHD diesel Edge in the hopes that waiting

the extra 12 months would give them the product its buyers wanted.

While Chinese Edge has longer rear overhang, would Ford be better off extending the wheelbase

say another four inches and turn it into a new Explorer?

I know that flies in the face of CD6 rumors but is that a way for Ford to quickly deliver a new Explorer

and Aviator?

(and what if Explorer used an even shorter 116" wheelbase on Expedition Alloy Body on Frame..hey. I can dream :wub: )

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Your point is well taken. As someone who had a Taurus for 100k miles, it was a great car for me. It's unfortunate that Ford never pushed this car at all, because it deserved some marketing.

I had a 2010 and not a single problem with it.

Because that's all FCA has to sell. If they didn't market them, they'd be out of business.

The reality is Taurus, while still a nice vehicle, is now outdated on top of its existing problems (small interior for a large car, tall for a sedan, etc). There's not much there to advertise.

Huh? it sells because that is all they have to sell? I think it sells -in spite of the fact its fugly IMO-because they push it as a performance car with four doors. Agree with your point on interior space. My SHO is a bit confining, but I can't believe its a deal breaker-i'm 6-2, 205-do I miss the room in my last CV Sport-yes. But I can deal wit it.

And I can't believe that the MKT/Flex can survive while a large sedan has no place in the lineup. The SUV/crossover market is about as saturated as you can get IMO.

Huh? it sells because that is all they have to sell? I think it sells -in spite of the fact its fugly IMO-because they push it as a performance car with four doors. Agree with your point on interior space. My SHO is a bit confining, but I can't believe its a deal breaker-i'm 6-2, 205-do I miss the room in my last CV Sport-yes. But I can deal wit it.

And I can't believe that the MKT/Flex can survive while a large sedan has no place in the lineup. The SUV/crossover market is about as saturated as you can get IMO.

I was referring to the poster that was adamant that advertising is the reason the FCA large sedans sell. I was saying they advertise them because it's all Dodge and Chrysler (aside from Pacifica) has that's worth marketing and basically is all they sell (Chrysler literally is just Pacifica and 300 now). They don't have entire lineups to advertise for like Ford does.

To be honest, I don't see a ton of Ford marketing in general. At least it doesn't feel like they market as much as some of the other brands.

At least they don't have ads and marketing that talk more about the competition than their own products like certain other brands.....

At least they don't have ads and marketing that talk more about the competition than their own products like certain other brands.....

For sure-in particular the annoying truck ads-not sure if its a regional thing but here in New England it is constant TV blurbs with the .." can anyone tell me who has won more awards for blah blah.

For sure-in particular the annoying truck ads-not sure if its a regional thing but here in New England it is constant TV blurbs with the .." can anyone tell me who has won more awards for blah blah.

Ha....definitely not a regional thing.

^ better they keep the Flex without the MKT (( or - base a temporary X-Lg on the Flex, imho ))

interesting thumb.gif but Really?

afaik, since the GM-9-speed is supposed to be quite small, it oughta fit easily...

It's not the size of the transmission that is the issue. It is the cost of certifying the models with new transmission. It requires new crash tests and EPA certification. No way Ford will be allocating any money to do that for Flex and MKT.

Same reason there is rumor Taurus will finally bites the dust after 2019.

Once Ford switch 3.5 V6 to 9 speed, all the legacy D3 vehicles are done.

• Like 1

Huh? it sells because that is all they have to sell? I think it sells -in spite of the fact its fugly IMO-because they push it as a performance car with four doors.

How many of those sales are LEA sales? Pretty much every cop car I see that's not a Ford PI or PIU is a Charger.