2019 Ford Ranger Speculation thread

See, we also don't know what conditions were put on the delivery of Ranger either but you can bet

that one of the key stipulations from Fields would have been to have costs as low as possible

and to spend money only where absolutely necessary.

Does that ring true with the Ford we know and love?

I think your overstating what the actual customer will actually do when researching this vehicle. I don’t think people are going to turn their noses up because it’s a seven year refresh of an existing vehicle. A very small percentage might, but it won’t effect sales all that much.

Exactly. I bet 80%+ of potential buyers don’t even know there is a ROW Ranger.

I think you guys are starting to be way too negative, when you see the truck in the flesh, I think you'll find that a lot

of people will love it. I know that Ford is starting off production slowly but that could be due to concentrating on those

more expensive crew cab sales - that's the niche Ford wants just below F150, it will look good / different to F150.

I think the new Ranger will do extremely well. I think it will easily go to the top of the sales charts once they hit dealers in large enough numbers. It should surpass the Colorado fairly easily but I'm not sure it can topple the Tacoma.

Tacoma did over 190,000 units in 2016. I hear that Ford hopes to do somewhere between 130,000 - 150,000 Rangers a year in the US. I guess time will tell how much pent up demand there is for Ranger and how many would-be F150 sales will end up as actual Ranger sales.

Not that the GM twins represent any sort of benchmark but the styling of the NA Chevy Colorado is different from the same model year Holden Colorado. And the Canyon looks like neither of those. And a Tacoma is not the same truck as a Hi-Lux. Just say'n.

• Like 1

So what are the engine displacement issues in other countries? Doesn't Thailand, for example, tax vehicles based on engine size?

Many countries do. That was the reason that Ford dropped the 1.6L in favor of the 1.5L and the reason there is a 1.0L EcoBoost.

Here is the interesting part

... the truck will be powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged diesel. That's smaller than the Ranger's 3.2-liter inline-five diesel, but it should deliver more power.

A version of that new engine WILL be coming to the US ! Edited by theoldwizard
  • Like 1

Not that the GM twins represent any sort of benchmark but the styling of the NA Chevy Colorado is different from the same model year Holden Colorado. And the Canyon looks like neither of those. And a Tacoma is not the same truck as a Hi-Lux. Just say'n.

The Isuzu based ROW Colorado was deemed too cheap and required substantial revision to bring it up to US market standards where consumer expectations for trucks are much higher than other markets.

The Hilux/Tacoma split is a legacy problem due to decisions made a decade ago. They are basically the same size now and no reason to think they won't be re-united on a common platform later on.

Existing Ranger is already leaps and bounds better than ROW Corolado and the MCE is not unlike what GM did to the ROW Colorado to bring it up to US market standards - new drivetrains and interior. Except Ford is doing it for the entire world, not just US market.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

I don't think that is an 8.8. It has too many cover bolts. An 8.8 has a single bolt at the bottom center and 10 bolts total while this one has two bolts along the bottom edge and most likely 12 bolts total. Probably the same Dana housing that has been used in the T6 for a few years now.

If you click on the link you can see more pics of the whole truck. I didn't post any of those since they are the same as all the other camo'd T6 pics we have been seeing for over a year.

As for the "rust" underneath, here's a quote from the article:

We also get a good look at the full frame, and we can’t help but notice the amount of dirt and mud on pretty much everything. It seems Ford is definitely putting the new Ranger through the ringer when it comes to off-road excursions.