Offical 2019 Ranger thread

Anyone heard any follow up on the hybrid F150 and Mustang?

I thought that Ford would have talked more about the technology being used in both...

Well they aren't launching till 2020 or 2021.

People are already bitching about other products running late...why piss off more people?

There is going to be a ton of product coming from Ford in the next 18 months:

Can actually buy a Ranger

Bronco launch (who knows if you can buy one by the end of next year)

NG Explorer/Aviator

new Focus

NG Escape/MKC

Continental refresh?

Diesel F-150

Whatever they plan on doing with the Fusion

Performance BEV reveil

Gen Y/Short C CUV to replace the Ecosport in Western/Chinese markets

Transit/Transit Connect refresh

Well they aren't launching till 2020 or 2021.

People are already bitching about other products running late...why piss off more people?

There is going to be a ton of product coming from Ford in the next 18 months:

Can actually buy a Ranger

Bronco launch (who knows if you can buy one by the end of next year)

NG Explorer/Aviator

new Focus

NG Escape/MKC

Continental refresh?

Diesel F-150

Whatever they plan on doing with the Fusion

Performance BEV reveil

Gen Y/Short C CUV to replace the Ecosport in Western/Chinese markets

Transit/Transit Connect refresh

There's a lot coming, they just need to show it :P

• Like 1

The other point I guess is that current Escape, Explorer are both still selling strongly

in spite of their age and perceived shortcomings compared to newer rivals.

Maybe Ford wants an uninterrupted lead up to summer sales this year to cash in

on product that are well seasoned and easy to sell with a bit of incentive added.

I'd find it quite hilarious if Focus sales actually continued to improve this year

while Ford is trying to finish production in May....

Edited by jpd80

I agree with RMC. To this day the best pre-emptive release I ever saw was Fords releases of small teaser photos of a car they called the Probe.....our phones went off the hook.

The original or the restyled one that came in in 1991? I remember the shot of the headlight from the 1991 restyle that made its way into a Ford Commercial.

Ranger-Raptor-spy-shot.jpg?interpolation

There’s a chance this could be the Australia-bound Ranger Raptor that’s debuting in Thailand on February 7. The wheels appear to match the ones we’ve seen in videos, as do the beefier fenders. But why is Ford testing it in the U.S.? We hope it’s because the Blue Oval is readying a Ranger Raptor for the North American market as well. We’ve heard the Australian market will get the Ranger Raptor with a tuned 3.2-liter turbodiesel I-5, but a high-output version of the twin-turbo 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6 sounds like a nice fit for a U.S.-market model. The Aussie Ranger Raptor should also get a 10-speed automatic transmission, low-range transfer case, unique off-road-tuned suspension, and 17-inch wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich A/T tires.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/spied-ford-ranger-raptor-caught-u-s-soil/

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

While this is still an international version, it's the first LHD vehicle we've seen...

far from being a mule, this is in fact a field evaluation prototype.

Mule, Prototype. Meh. (I know better for referencing it as a mule LOL) Thanks for the FEP clarification though, So do you think that this would be an import to the states as the RS Focus was?

Mule, Prototype. Meh. (I know better for referencing it as a mule LOL) Thanks for the FEP clarification though, So do you think that this would be an import to the states as the RS Focus was?

No, the chicken tax would prevent that..... but nothing stopping Ford from adding a model down the track.

Build this thing at MAP with the 2.7 and I'm on board. If it only comes with the 2.3, not so much.

CGI vs aluminum open deck block.

Dual port/direct injection vs DI only.

Dual vs single turbo.

I'm still not convinced we will see a 2.7 in the Ranger. One of my concerns is still the fact that Ford has said they used a smaller case for the 10-speed auto so that it would fit in the Ranger chassis. What does that mean? Will the smaller case also mean smaller, less robust internals that might not be able to handle the higher torque output of the 2.7? Same thing for the torque converter? What modifications would they have to make to get the bigger trans case to fit?

What about the width of the engine with the turbos hung off the sides of the cylinder heads? Remember, the 2.7 has no separate exhaust manifolds. The turbos bolt directly to the heads. If necessary, will Ford be willing to design special heads just to fit the 2.7 in the Ranger?

Or would it actually make more sense to go with the larger 3.5L EB which does have separate exhaust manifolds and might actually be easier to adapt to the Ranger than the 2.7? They could probably use a lower output 3.5 EB similar to the Explorer (365 hp, 350 lb-ft). Would the smaller case 10-speed live behind that?

Build this thing at MAP with the 2.7 and I'm on board. If it only comes with the 2.3, not so much.

CGI vs aluminum open deck block.

Dual port/direct injection vs DI only.

Dual vs single turbo.

I'm still not convinced we will see a 2.7 in the Ranger. One of my concerns is still the fact that Ford has said they used a smaller case for the 10-speed auto so that it would fit in the Ranger chassis. What does that mean? Will the smaller case also mean smaller, less robust internals that might not be able to handle the higher torque output of the 2.7? Same thing for the torque converter? What modifications would they have to make to get the bigger trans case to fit?

What about the width of the engine with the turbos hung off the sides of the cylinder heads? Remember, the 2.7 has no separate exhaust manifolds. The turbos bolt directly to the heads. If necessary, will Ford be willing to design special heads just to fit the 2.7 in the Ranger?

Or would it actually make more sense to go with the larger 3.5L EB which does have separate exhaust manifolds and might actually be easier to adapt to the Ranger than the 2.7? They could probably use a lower output 3.5 EB similar to the Explorer (365 hp, 350 lb-ft). Would the smaller case 10-speed live behind that?

The 2.7 is a pretty narrow engine. I think I mentioned previously that the 3.5L ecoboosts from a SHO and F150 use totally different turbos. So you probably wouldn't need a new head. Just new turbos for a Ranger 2.7L. (most if not all 2.7L pictures on google show the F150's version)

I would imagine this small case refers to the bell housing. I am sure you are aware Ford had 3 different bell housing sizes for a C4 and C6. Sure those were removable and interchangeable for the C4 where the 10R80's bell isn't removable. I would not doubt that the small case could handle far more power than it is rated for. Ive seen stock 6R80 run into the high 9's.

I won't mind if the 2.3L was the only engine in the speculated U.S. Ranger Raptor if the rated power is good enough. I have agree with you though, A 2.7L would be cool. Slap a single outlet deep sounding cat back on there!