2020 Explorer

According to Road and Track, it has a new block. This is referencing the HO version in the Raptor and GT, but I would think the same block is used across the F150 line.

It starts with a new block, heads, pistons, and intake, plus bigger turbos. Ford adds a dual-injection system, a combination of port and direct fuel injection, like Subaru uses on the BRZ/FR-S motor. That makes the H.O. 3.5 the first and only EcoBoost engine to use port injection. Ford calls this a second-generation EcoBoost, so maybe that dual-injection scheme will spread to other engines.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/news/a24742/the-new-ecoboost-v6-from-ford-performanceits-all-new/

C&D says the same thing (for the standard F150):

The block is new, the turbos are new, the cooling system (which features new flow paths and a higher-volume, higher-rate water pump) is new, and the fuel-delivery system now employs both direct and port injectors for improved emissions and more power.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-ford-f-150-35l-v-6-ecoboost-10-speed-first-drive-review

Edited by fordmantpw

I agree. I was really surprised when they didn't announce the 3.0T. I'm thinking it could be a late "wait, there's more" announcement closer to production.

Maybe the 3.0T will be announced in along with a new performance Lincoln name/badge (Red Label?)

Edited by jasonj80

I dont mind using the same motors, but I feel they should have different tunes with Lincoln always receiving the higher horsepower ratings, even if only a marginal amount.

This could be ok. Also interesting to note - Ford gave the Edge ST more power than the Nautilus as well.

This could be ok. Also interesting to note - Ford gave the Edge ST more power than the Nautilus as well.

This will give the gussied up Edge people one more thing to talk about. The Nautilus almost certainly needs to match or get ahead of the Edge, or the Edge will steal more sales away than has happened.

This will give the gussied up Edge people one more thing to talk about. The Nautilus almost certainly needs to match or get ahead of the Edge, or the Edge will steal more sales away than has happened.

This is why I think there are more engine options to be announced for Nautilus.

• Like 1

I was just thinking a few days ago whatever happened to the proposed Red Label and Green Label Lincoln names? I guess Fields put that on hold, too.

I don't think the Green label will ever come out, makes it seem like if you want the environmental choice it isn't the full line it is just a trim package. Image wise it doesn't work. I do wonder if the Hybrid and Regular Aviator will be the same cost like the MKZ. Or if they even go as far as the base model is the Hybird and you pay to step up to the bigger gas engines.

• Like 1

I don't think the Green label will ever come out, makes it seem like if you want the environmental choice it isn't the full line it is just a trim package. Image wise it doesn't work. I do wonder if the Hybrid and Regular Aviator will be the same cost like the MKZ. Or if they even go as far as the base model is the Hybird and you pay to step up to the bigger gas engines.

Since both the gas and gas-electric (hybrid) models use the 3.0 GTDI V6, I’d say the hybrid will add another 100 hp or so to the at least 400 horses in the 3.0 GTDI....so I think the hydrid will be a premium and the performance upgrade.

Now about the 2020 Explorer...I see Ford has a press conference scheduled for the Chicago Show next Thur...since the Explorer is made in Chicago, I wouldn’t be surprised if they debut it there next week...maybe as concept....?

• Like 1

Since both the gas and gas-electric (hybrid) models use the 3.0 GTDI V6, Id say the hybrid will add another 100 hp or so to the at least 400 horses in the 3.0 GTDI....so I think the hydrid will be a premium and the performance upgrade.

Now about the 2020 Explorer...I see Ford has a press conference scheduled for the Chicago Show next Thur...since the Explorer is made in Chicago, I wouldnt be surprised if they debut it there next week...maybe as concept....?

Given their propensity for showing new models ridiculously early that makes sense, but it also goes against what PD said about a month ago about it being nowhere close to being shown.
  • Like 1

Could we see an Aviator "concept" first up followed by the production car at the next NAIAS in December / January?

Thinking about the way the Navigator was introduced, would Lincoln follow the same formula with Aviator?

Edited by jpd80

Could we see an Aviator "concept" first up followed by the production car at the next NAIAS in December / January?

Thinking about the way the Navigator was introduced, would Lincoln follow the same formula with Aviator?

I would say yes, the Continental was also the same. Though I think it will be shown in LA if there is a spring launch planned. With more product coming out next year the shows as well as off show events are going to need to happen. Is the new Focus going to be shown in Geneva in March?

I had thought NY for Aviator, but Chicago might be possible.

Since both the gas and gas-electric (hybrid) models use the 3.0 GTDI V6, I’d say the hybrid will add another 100 hp or so to the at least 400 horses in the 3.0 GTDI....so I think the hydrid will be a premium and the performance upgrade.

Now about the 2020 Explorer...I see Ford has a press conference scheduled for the Chicago Show next Thur...since the Explorer is made in Chicago, I wouldn’t be surprised if they debut it there next week...maybe as concept....?

That would be one hell of a SUV, Instant torque plus the turbos. Even at 5000lbs you'd be in the low to mid 3 second range to 60. Plus when you're around town driving the hybrid would give 30mpg.

I was thinking "Mach 1" is probably an electric/extended plug-in, high-performance rwd Explorer instead of an mysterious stand-alone CUV.

On a sidenote I notice the Taurus isn't canceled as predicted either, hopefully that means a rwd replacement is being worked on along with Explorer.