2020 Explorer

If thats true and the new Explorer gets the 3.0GTDI, I think thats a bad move. I rather like that the 3.0 is Lincoln exclusive and I think it should stay that way. Lincoln should have something to call their own since it makes no sense for them to have their own bespoke platforms. Give the Explorer *shudder* ST the 2.7EB instead.

If thats true and the new Explorer gets the 3.0GTDI, I think thats a bad move. I rather like that the 3.0 is Lincoln exclusive and I think it should stay that way. Lincoln should have something to call their own since it makes no sense for them to have their own bespoke platforms. Give the Explorer *shudder* ST the 2.7EB instead.

Would be easier just to keep the Ecoboost 3.5L IMO.

Just yank it out the Raptor or F-150 if you need a performance engine for the Explorer ST or whatever they want to call it.

I agree about the 3.0 staying Lincoln exclusive, but the 2.7 would be a downgrade from the current 3.5.

Would be easier just to keep the Ecoboost 3.5L IMO.

Just yank it out the Raptor or F-150 if you need a performance engine for the Explorer ST or whatever they want to call it.

Agreed.

The article said it’s getting the 3.0T not the 3.5T. I would expect the Aviator to get the HO 3.5T.

Yeah, I find it a bit hard to believe that they'd make the 3.0T standard on Aviator. I could see the 2.7 standard.

I mean, they wouldn't even make the 3.0 optional on the Nautilus, when its platform mate - MKZ - has it, but they'd make it standard on Aviator?

• Like 1

I don’t think we’ve seen all the engine options for Nautilus.

If they put the 3.0 in it, I would seriously consider buying one. An Explorer ST with 3.0 sounds very tempting as well.I think it was good they made the 3.0 a Lincoln exclusive for a couple of years to get momentum for the brand, but now time for Ford to use it also.

I agree about the 3.0 staying Lincoln exclusive, but the 2.7 would be a downgrade from the current 3.5.

Agreed.

Yeah, I find it a bit hard to believe that they'd make the 3.0T standard on Aviator. I could see the 2.7 standard.

I mean, they wouldn't even make the 3.0 optional on the Nautilus, when its platform mate - MKZ - has it, but they'd make it standard on Aviator?

With a RWD Explorer, the engine field opens up quite a bit from 2.3 EB all the way through to Raptor EB V6.

Maybe even access to the 3.0 V6 Powerstroke for domestic and export?

Edited by jpd80

If they put the 3.0 in it, I would seriously consider buying one. An Explorer ST with 3.0 sounds very tempting as well.I think it was good they made the 3.0 a Lincoln exclusive for a couple of years to get momentum for the brand, but now time for Ford to use it also.

I dont mind using the same motors, but I feel they should have different tunes with Lincoln always receiving the higher horsepower ratings, even if only a marginal amount.

We know that the 3.5 PFI line was reconfigured to build the 3.3 PFDI so I'm wondering if the new 3.5 Block

is used across all 3.5 EB but the FWDs stay with just DI for now while the RWDs use the upgraded PFDI.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1