Crazy rumor of the day: Bronco to get 7 speed manual?!

Itll be interesting to see how F-series sales are affected.

I would think best you could hope for would be flat. I hope greater percentage of defectors from the GM twins and Taco but for sure given 150 pricing, and attractiveness of 275 HP EB/10 speed, there will be some lost 150 sales-which was the reason we never saw T-6 untill now.

Bottom line total PU sales will be up, I would imagine the ATP will just take a minor hit?

How about it DeanH, Ice Capades and you other sales guys on the front line?

I would think best you could hope for would be flat. I hope greater percentage of defectors from the GM twins and Taco but for sure given 150 pricing, and attractiveness of 275 HP EB/10 speed, there will be some lost 150 sales-which was the reason we never saw T-6 untill now.

Bottom line total PU sales will be up, I would imagine the ATP will just take a minor hit?

How about it DeanH, Ice Capades and you other sales guys on the front line?

We have Rangers in our service department almost every day and we've priced out new Rangers for several customers looking to replace their current Rangers. So far, the one's we've priced out were for the XL trim work trucks but I expect that down the road there will be a lot more interest in the XLT's & Lariats. A loaded 2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew with all the options has a MSRP at nearly $46K and a loaded XLT SuperCrew at about $41K. Considering that we have 2019 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCrew vehicles hitting MSRP's at $50-52K the Lariat Ranger's are going to look attractive to certain customers.

There will be some F-150 sales lost to the Ranger but Ford will be very competitive with the Ranger without much incentives and re-establish the Ranger's market position. Ford will do what it does best and keep raising the bar while the competition keeps trying to catch up. Expect Ranger to be a strong competitor and take a lot of sales from Toyota, Chevy and GMC thanks to the Ford Built Tough heritage and Ford marketing once the Ranger is finally on the lots next spring. If the economy stays strong the few F-150 sales lost to Ranger will help Ford continue to maintain and/or grow F-Series sales and at the same time re-establish the Ranger in the marketplace.

• Like 1

Itll be interesting to see how F-series sales are affected.

My guess is that it will affect the XLs more than any other trim, but I see it bringing in more conquest sales rather than cannibalizing F-Series sales. It's apparent that Ford thinks so, too; they'd gladly trade low-margin base F150 sales for higher-margin Rangers, but there's no way they'd knowingly trade high-margin F150 sales for Rangers.

MY or CY? Because if its CY, they would most likely be 2021 MY and that would lineup with the Bronco HEV supposed release date.

I'm guessing Mustang hybrid in 2020 is the same 2020 as Bronco... deliberately vague promise from Ford :future:

Ford's official Mustang Twitter handle:

https://twitter.com/FordMustang/status/816320732154081280

C1QnYDVUoAEblue.jpg

F-150 dates should be more firm... It's on a 5-year cycle and the current model came out in MY2015, and the mid cycle update was MY2018. So all-new F-150 should be due MY2020. FCA is off to a good start with RAM's 48V hybrid so Ford is already behind the game. I don't see them pushing back the F-150 hybrid another year to MY2021.

Edited by bzcat

I'm guessing Mustang hybrid in 2020 is the same 2020 as Bronco... deliberately vague promise from Ford :future:

Ford's official Mustang Twitter handle:

https://twitter.com/FordMustang/status/816320732154081280

C1QnYDVUoAEblue.jpg

F-150 dates should be more firm... It's on a 5-year cycle and the current model came out in MY2015, and the mid cycle update was MY2018. So all-new F-150 should be due MY2020. FCA is off to a good start with RAM's 48V hybrid so Ford is already behind the game. I don't see them pushing back the F-150 hybrid another year to MY2021.

F-150 hybrid being for 2020 doesn't mean Bronco hybrid can't be 2021.

F-150 hybrid being for 2020 doesn't mean Bronco hybrid can't be 2021.

True, but the point being Ford promised all these electrified vehicles in "2020" - Bronco, Mustang and F-150 hybrid, and MACH 1 EV (or whatever it will be called). Also don't forget, Ford also promised 40 electrified vehicles overall by 2022. At the pace they are going, they seem almost certain to miss that mark.

We are just trying to read the tea leaves and determine when we will actually see them.

Edited by bzcat

A while back I read a story about some guy that took an old porsche and replaced the gas engine with an electrification kit. Only he kept the manual gearbox. The result sounded pretty fun.

That said, there's no reason one of those mild 48 volt systems that basically use the starter or alternator in reverse couldn't be used with a manual trans.

No duh

See??

A while back I read a story about some guy that took an old porsche and replaced the gas engine with an electrification kit. Only he kept the manual gearbox. The result sounded pretty fun.

That said, there's no reason one of those mild 48 volt systems that basically use the starter or alternator in reverse couldn't be used with a manual trans.

Uh?

Does he just shift for fun? Like this? :shift:

• Like 2

I didn't say there was a reason for Ford or any other automaker to put a gear box behind an electric motor. It was just an interesting story about someone who actually did it to see how it'd work. Each gear basically became a speed control function. And it would REALLY roast them in the low gears due to the torque multiplication!

But I stand by the 48v mild hybrid. No reason that wouldn't work just peachy with a manual trans.

True, but the point being Ford promised all these electrified vehicles in "2020" - Bronco, Mustang and F-150 hybrid, and MACH 1 EV (or whatever it will be called). Also don't forget, Ford also promised 40 electrified vehicles overall by 2022. At the pace they are going, they seem almost certain to miss that mark.

Don't forget that is world wide electric vehicles. (The new Territory is one of these) Ford also counts regular hybrid and Plug in Hybrid as 2 different vehicles and 2/4 door as two different vehicles.

It might work-but is theire any benefit to doing it?

Just the same ones you'd get on an automatic - a boost in torque and a slight bump in fuel economy. This is assuming that the electric motor is attached to the front of the engine somewhere like on the new Ram trucks such that it wouldn't require any different parts on the manual trucks. If it's integrated into or attached to the 10-spd auto trans, then no, there's probably not a good reason to do the engineering to add it to the manual trans.

Ford making the Hybrid integral with the 10-speed auto transmission will make it much easier

to replicate across all applicable RWD vehicles, that may also bring down the cost to a point

where Ford skips passive hybrid and just focuses on the 3.3 Hybrid and 3.0 EB PHEV.

I see that as smart cookie scenario and one GM and FCA will struggle to match quickly.

And we also now see why Ford pulled out of the JV with Toyota, Ford is miles in advance of them.

Edited by jpd80

Ford making the Hybrid integral with the 10-speed auto transmission will make it much easier

to replicate across all applicable RWD vehicles, that may also bring down the cost to a point

where Ford skips passive hybrid and just focuses on the 3.3 Hybrid and 3.0 EB PHEV.

I see that as smart cookie scenario and one GM and FCA will struggle to match quickly.

And we also now see why Ford pulled out of the JV with Toyota, Ford is miles in advance of them.

But evidently at least 24 months behind FCA (!)

https://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2019-ram-1500-etorque-first-drive-electrified-evolved

To be fair, we don't know if F-150 will be 48V mild hybrid (like the Ram) or a full on parallel hybrid but for sure FCA has already put a shot across the bow... thus far, it has only been stealing pickup truck market share from mainly GM but the 2019 Ram is guns ablaze for F-150.

update....the little unveiling was just a picture of the baby bronco...so nothing there....Ranger drove fantastic according to Dealer principle...and the Mach 1 looks like a Panamera with Mustang tail-lights...and looks GREAT.....300 mile range...still NOTHING on the Bronco.

update....the little unveiling was just a picture of the baby bronco...so nothing there....Ranger drove fantastic according to Dealer principle...and the Mach 1 looks like a Panamera with Mustang tail-lights...and looks GREAT.....300 mile range...still NOTHING on the Bronco.

Was hoping the Mach 1 would look more like the Mercedes GLC/E, I like that look better than the Panamera.