Jump to content
  • Custom Search


Sign in to follow this  
rperez817

Vehicles owners keep 15+ years

Recommended Posts

My 2004 Ford Ranger turns 15 this year. iseecars analyzed which cars and light trucks original owners are most likely to keep 15 years or more. Overall, 7.5% of car and light truck owners in the U.S. keep their vehicle for 15 years or more. I'm among the 6% of Ford Ranger owners who did that.

Also interesting, people in the San Francisco and Honolulu areas love older cars. People there are more than twice as likely to own their cars for 15 years or more compared to the U.S. average. https://www.iseecars.com/cars-kept-15-years-2019-study

 

 

 

 

Brands.png

LuxuryCars.png

Pickup.png

SportsCars.png

SUV.png

Top15.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad still has his 1998 Ranger XLT Crew Cab...its only driven about 2500 a year now due to him being retired, but it has anywhere from 140-160K on it now (has larger tires on it that screw up the speedo readings) from commuting 40 miles to and from work. 

I had my Mustang for 12 years or so-but the last couple years it was just a third car driven once in a while. I'd assume most sporty cars are bought as second/third cars and thus the long lifespans. 

I have a friend that has an older C class-though i'm shocked at the amount of $$$ he's dumped into it-at this point it would be cheaper to get a new car, considering he drives 200 miles or so 2-4x times a week to get to work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes I wish I had kept my 95 Ranger (4.0L supercab manual) instead of switching to cars.

 

I plan to keep my F150 a long long time since we're nearing retirement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had my Focus for 8 , almost 9 years and I would keep it longer but it has major issues that need fixing and I'm throwing good money after bad if I do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I've had my Focus for 8 , almost 9 years and I would keep it longer but it has major issues that need fixing and I'm throwing good money after bad if I do. 

Good point-it makes really no sense to dump 2-3-4K on a 8-10 year old used car, depending on your financial situation. You never know when something else is going to go and your looking at $5K or so dumped into it-money that could be used on a new car.

My wife's Escape got bent over trade in-she had 157K on a 2010 when we got her new Escape-I think we were lucky to get 2 grand for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Good point-it makes really no sense to dump 2-3-4K on a 8-10 year old used car, depending on your financial situation. You never know when something else is going to go and your looking at $5K or so dumped into it-money that could be used on a new car.

My wife's Escape got bent over trade in-she had 157K on a 2010 when we got her new Escape-I think we were lucky to get 2 grand for it. 

The starter isn't that expensive (about $120 + core charge). It's the valvetrain issue I think have going on that's the big one, and I can't diagnose that until I get the starter fixed. I should push start it to see if I can diagnose the valve issue but a. we're in the process of getting 5 inches of snow right now and b. It's going to be really damn hard to push it out of the garage. It's hard enough with the car running. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Good point-it makes really no sense to dump 2-3-4K on a 8-10 year old used car, depending on your financial situation. You never know when something else is going to go and your looking at $5K or so dumped into it-money that could be used on a new car.

My wife's Escape got bent over trade in-she had 157K on a 2010 when we got her new Escape-I think we were lucky to get 2 grand for it. 

Even spending $3K/yr on repairs is still half the cost of a new car payment @$500/month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, akirby said:

Even spending $3K/yr on repairs is still half the cost of a new car payment @$500/month.

Or do what I'm doing and put the car on storage insurance and use the savings to put towards something new. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, akirby said:

Even spending $3K/yr on repairs is still half the cost of a new car payment @$500/month.

True, but at one point does it not make sense to keep throwing good money into bad? 

Plus you can still get a new car for less then $34k that the average price of a new car goes for and costs about $500 a month to finance over 60 months after that $5k down payment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

True, but at one point does it not make sense to keep throwing good money into bad? 

Plus you can still get a new car for less then $34k that the average price of a new car goes for and costs about $500 a month to finance over 60 months after that $5k down payment. 

It makes sense for other reasons - reliability, not worrying about it breaking down, less aggravation, better safety equipment, wanting something new.   But it's definitely not going to be cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Good point-it makes really no sense to dump 2-3-4K on a 8-10 year old used car, depending on your financial situation. You never know when something else is going to go and your looking at $5K or so dumped into it-money that could be used on a new car.

My wife's Escape got bent over trade in-she had 157K on a 2010 when we got her new Escape-I think we were lucky to get 2 grand for it. 

Or, you could spend a sum to fix an older vehicle and get many more years out of it mostly trouble free!  What does it cost to replace a vehicle, not what the book says its worth.  Everyone knows a vehicle is not an investment.

I am definitely a keeper person.  I look at it this way:  I question not what the vehicle is worth in some book, but I ask myself; is the vehicle worth fixing?  My '08 Explorer is in very nice condition and would cost me the better part of $40k to replace with a 7 passenger 4x4 that can tow and haul, take the family camping, and drive in snow and ice over Colorado mountains.  If I had to drop 3k on a new transmission it would be a no-brainer.  3k vs 40k.   

I am getting older and the whole emotional need for cool new stuff is wearing off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

Or, you could spend a sum to fix an older vehicle and get many more years out of it mostly trouble free!  What does it cost to replace a vehicle, not what the book says its worth.  Everyone knows a vehicle is not an investment.

I am definitely a keeper person.  I look at it this way:  I question not what the vehicle is worth in some book, but I ask myself; is the vehicle worth fixing?  My '08 Explorer is in very nice condition and would cost me the better part of $40k to replace with a 7 passenger 4x4 that can tow and haul, take the family camping, and drive in snow and ice over Colorado mountains.  If I had to drop 3k on a new transmission it would be a no-brainer.  3k vs 40k.   

I am getting older and the whole emotional need for cool new stuff is wearing off. 

That's why I'm thinking 1 maybe 2 leases for my own vehicle before I buy something for the long haul (I would not be able to settle for the current Ranger for the long haul). OTOH it makes more sense for me to keep leasing the family truckster for the foreseeable future as I know as the kids grow older our needs will be changing and there's also the possibility of bringing a third child into the mix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm driving around in a 1994 F-150.  The first and original owner had it 18 years.  I've owned it the past seven years.  

BTW, I was told during the weekend that the State of Michigan now considers my truck to me a "classic," meaning it's 25 years old.  I can now buy classic car license plate if I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

I'm driving around in a 1994 F-150.  The first and original owner had it 18 years.  I've owned it the past seven years.  

BTW, I was told during the weekend that the State of Michigan now considers my truck to me a "classic," meaning it's 25 years old.  I can now buy classic car license plate if I want.

How many miles on that truck?

I may have the opportunity soon to buy a garage kept, meticulously maintained, '98 F150 4x4 from a friend of mine, it has 170K miles.  I figure I could get at least 5 years out of that as a personal 2nd vehicle when it is just me and the dog, or myself and buddy going up skiing or mountain biking.  I can use is around the property for all the stuff a guy needs a truck for.  Can't beat the price for something so well cared for.  I wouldn't just buy any old truck, but I am sure interested in this particular one.

My daughter is a few years away from her license - she is going to have a choice between a 2008 Explorer or a 2006 BMW X3.  I hope she takes the Ford, it is a lot easier and less expensive to fix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Flex turned 10 back in November.  It's got roughly 135K miles on it.

I've been rewarding it with a nice buffing/waxing with The Chemical Guys products - it looks like new, and the paint is so smooth now.  I plan on taking pictures of it if this rain stops (I haven't wanted to take it out of the garage until a sunny day haha).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

How many miles on that truck?

I may have the opportunity soon to buy a garage kept, meticulously maintained, '98 F150 4x4 from a friend of mine, it has 170K miles. 

My 97 F150 4x4 5.4 E4OD Trans. at 236k miles has been flawless, never once has it left me on the side of the road. Still runs great.

Oh and no spark plugs blown out... 14 ft. lbs torque.

Edited by Ron W.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, akirby said:

It makes sense for other reasons - reliability, not worrying about it breaking down, less aggravation, better safety equipment, wanting something new.   But it's definitely not going to be cheaper.

People throw good money after bad on old cars all the time. The best thing you can do is pick up a 2-3 year old car/suv for ~18K-~20K that has under 36K on it, toss on an ESP/HondaCare/MOPAR to 8 year 125K for $1500 and you're under 20K out the door for a car that is going to cost you the same monthly as the old beater, has updated technology and safety equipment. 

 Ford/Honda/FCA are great in that you can buy their extended warranty cheap as long as you're still in the Factory and use it at any dealer and they stand behind it and a lot of dealers online discount them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck, for that price, you can get a brand new Fusion SE right now!  Local dealer has a bunch of them for under $18k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will have our:

2005 Ford Freestar mini van.  200,000 miles next week +/-.

2007 Ford Explorer.  235,000 miles

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, rmc523 said:

My Flex turned 10 back in November.  It's got roughly 135K miles on it.

I've been rewarding it with a nice buffing/waxing with The Chemical Guys products - it looks like new, and the paint is so smooth now.  I plan on taking pictures of it if this rain stops (I haven't wanted to take it out of the garage until a sunny day haha).

As promised:

zMNg6A3.jpg

G65rtqg.jpg

IKo30rR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We call them leaves!  I'll send some your way.....in a few months ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

We call them leaves!  I'll send some your way.....in a few months ;)

LOL! :)  You can keep them, because when they show up, they seem to bring fricken allergens with them!  Aaahhhhhchoooooo!!! :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time I see the Flex I wonder what could have been for Lincoln MKT if they had used that squarer body.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×