Is there a site that posts Ranger sales each month?

14 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I like the ranger, but I think there are a few things holding it back.

1) The interior is old and boring. It’s been around for a few years already and they didn’t bother to update any of the electronics inside to match the other new vehicles ford is releasing. Top of the line lariat is still using the same screen setup I’ve had in my 2013 fusion se with my ford touch.

2) Price. Whether deserved or not, many people believe it is over priced.

3)bronco. People in the market for the ranger could also be waiting to see what the bronco or scout look like. 

4) next gen ranger leaked. I’m not sure if it was ever confirmed or not to be the next gen ranger, but when that story came out with the pics, it mentioned the all new ranger was only a couple years away. That was enough to wait a bit longer to see what an all new ranger would be like.

1. Agreed-but I don't think that is hurting the vehicle too much, but its not helping it either. 

2. I know from non-car people (like my father in law) that lots of people bitch about the price of pickup trucks- but I don't think any manufacture is stupid enough to make stripper pickups from 25-30 years ago to meet that market. Lots of it is just past history with a 2011 Ranger Super Cab costing $28K or so...which was more or less the same price as the same Ranger in 1998 with some minor upgrades

3. I think the Bronco is a different subset then the Ranger. I'm not a huge fan of pickups myself (I don't think I'd get one for my daily driver unless it was a Raptor) but i'm 99% sure the Bronco will be my next vehicle. 

4. I'm betting 95% of the general car buying public that knows about the Ranger has no clue about the next gen one. 

I honestly dont think the interior looks dated in the Ranger.  I think it looks great, especially against what the competition offers.Sure the Tacoma looks more "futuristic", but not necessarily better. The Colorado / Canyon looks like it was designed in the 90's (and the Frontier probably was!).

I think we are just so used the same corporate design elements of the Ranger interior, we see it as old, but the public doesn't share the same insight we do.

The worst part of the design is the HVAC controls which are too low and have too tiny black buttons against a black background.  The mirror controls could be better placed as well.  Otherwise, it is a nice handsome design.

Ranger

ford-ranger-interior.jpg

Tacoma

2020-Toyota-Tacoma-interior-dash-and-whe

Colorado

2016-Chevrolet-Colorado-Diesel-16.jpg

Frontier

2018_nissan_frontier_dashboard.jpg

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

I honestly dont think the interior looks dated in the Ranger.  I think it looks great, especially against what the competition offers.Sure the Tacoma looks more "futuristic", but not necessarily better. The Colorado / Canyon looks like it was designed in the 90's (and the Frontier probably was!).

I think we are just so used the same corporate design elements of the Ranger interior, we see it as old, but the public doesn't share the same insight we do.

The worst part of the design is the HVAC controls which are too low and have too tiny black buttons against a black background.  The mirror controls could be better placed as well.  Otherwise, it is a nice handsome design.

Ranger

ford-ranger-interior.jpg

Tacoma

2020-Toyota-Tacoma-interior-dash-and-whe

Colorado

2016-Chevrolet-Colorado-Diesel-16.jpg

Frontier

2018_nissan_frontier_dashboard.jpg

I’d say it’s pretty much a tie for interior between the Ranger, Tacoma and Colorado. Each one just has their own style, but I wouldn’t say any are more modern then the other. The only thing the Tacoma and Colorado have on the Ranger are the HVAC buttons. I don’t know if Ford forgot about the ergonomic design of buttons they used to be known for, but those things are way too flat and all look the same. You have to take your eyes off the road and take a good look at them to use them. I know there are redundant buttons in the Sync3 system, but hard buttons are quicker for me especially things like heated seats, cabin temp and fan speed.

The Nissan is way behind the others and looks like it was designed in the late 90s early 00s.

1 hour ago, 2005Explorer said:

I’d say it’s pretty much a tie for interior between the Ranger, Tacoma and Colorado. Each one just has their own style, but I wouldn’t say any are more modern then the other. The only thing the Tacoma and Colorado have on the Ranger are the HVAC buttons. I don’t know if Ford forgot about the ergonomic design of buttons they used to be known for, but those things are way too flat and all look the same. You have to take your eyes off the road and take a good look at them to use them. I know there are redundant buttons in the Sync3 system, but hard buttons are quicker for me especially things like heated seats, cabin temp and fan speed.

The Nissan is way behind the others and looks like it was designed in the late 90s early 00s.

That's because it was designed in the early 00s.......it was new for 2005 and unchanged since.

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The problem with Colorado's interior is the same as every other GM interior. It's looks ok in pictures but sit in one for yourself and it's painfully evident that they used the cheapest materials possible. 

It's amazing how GM's interiors always seem to look like rental cars.

Those steering wheel controls are so cheap looking too.  They are not even individual buttons, just blobs on multi-switch module.  They remind me of some cheap plastic control on a kid's toy where one of the buttons will eventually crack and need the entire thing replaced.

f9c1a989bc494917f8322ead01bcd6dc.jpg

Edited by Anthony

33 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Those steering wheel controls are so cheap looking too.  They are not even individual buttons, just blobs on multi-switch module.  They remind me of some cheap plastic control on a kid's toy where one of the buttons will eventually crack and need the entire thing replaced.

They fee just as cheap as they look. I remember that distinctly from when I first sat in one at NAIAS the year it came out. 

On 7/5/2019 at 8:15 PM, Anthony said:

100% agree - and the whole GM lineup uses those.  Not to mention the gauges that look like they're from the 90's

The funny thing is that Hyundai/Kia seem to use very similar switch gear to Ford-wonder if that is a left over remant from them having a stake in Kia a long time ago. 

Chevy's switchgear/gauges have always looked cheap...not sure what the deal is with it. I was pleasantly surprised by the Chevy Sonic Sedan I had a couple months ago as a rental-I actually fit "ok" in it for a B-class car and it performed halfway decently for what it is, outside of me beating the crap out of it trying to pass someone doing 80 and it missing a shift and the check engine light coming on and off ? when I was trying to get back to the airport in time for my flight back. 

next-gen-2022-ford-ranger-rendering-a50a63ecf690-3648-11e9-bb73-89e54a88ae00

We’ve all seen the bottom pic already, but I stumbled across the top pic today and thought it looked pretty cool. I’m guessing it’s a render based off of the leaked pic. It also clears up the headlight design. It was kinda hard to tell what was going on with them in the original pic.

That blue rendering uses the greenhouse of the existing Ranger.  Look at the side rear window how it arches up gradually whereas the image with the sheet has more of a Hoffmeister kink.  Like you said, a rendering, but not one I'd base anything off of (like the headlights, etc...).

I'm wondering if we are looking at the Bronco front end clip (fender wise at least) with the new Ranger shown above. The Grill/headlight opening would lend itself well to a Bronco style grill/headlight combo that looks similar to the 1st gen Bronco.

The redesign also give the Ranger a more NA centric styling that matches well with the F-series. The current Ranger is kinda bland in that regard. 

31 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The redesign also give the Ranger a more NA centric styling that matches well with the F-series. The current Ranger is kinda bland in that regard. 

It does have a more American look, but the way the bumper is integrated into the front end clip makes me wonder if this could be the ROW ranger. 

On 6/10/2019 at 4:46 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's because the newer trucks stand a little taller than the old ones. 

I think that's partly it--my '13 4x2 sits about as tall as my '91 4x4--but I think it's also that the product mix is weighted towards SuperCrews (which didn't even exist in the older F-150s), combined with the taller bedsides and undeniably bigger cabs (even in the regular cabs), make them look larger. 

Interestingly, my brother replaced an '01 SuperCrew with an '05 SuperCrew, and the '05 looked much bigger. FWIW, despite the extra doors on the '01, my '13 RCSB also looked bigger than it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 11:23 AM, jpd80 said:

It looks like those impressive Tacoma sales come at the expense of a poor selling Tundra.

I don't think that many people are choosing to buy Tacoma instead of Tundra. What you are seeing is the expansion of midsize truck market overall, and Toyota putting more incentives on Tacoma this year, as sort of preemptive strike against the newer competition.

I believe there is yet another facelift of Tacoma coming for 2020... by my count, this is the 4th time Toyota has facelift the Tacoma, which is now 15 years old. Fall 2004 (introduced as 2005 model year) was the last time Toyota introduced a brand new Tacoma.

Edited by bzcat

On 8/12/2019 at 2:15 PM, bzcat said:

I believe there is yet another facelift of Tacoma coming for 2020... by my count, this is the 4th time Toyota has facelift the Tacoma, which is now 15 years old. Fall 2004 (introduced as 2005 model year) was the last time Toyota introduced a brand new Tacoma.

2020 Toyota Tacoma refresh details. https://pressroom.toyota.com/2020-toyota-tacoma-positioned-to-continue-segment-leadership-with-host-of-new-upgrades/

Last brand new Tacoma came out in model year 2016. That year, it got a new frame, cab, V6 engine, suspension, automatic transmission, electrical architecture.