Diesel Transit Connect dropped.

Smart move by Ford. Diesel power is a dead end for Class 1 commercial vehicles in the U.S., as well as for passenger cars and crossovers.

Hopefully Ford will make a BEV version of the Transit Connect available in the next 3 years. And hopefully they'll avoid the mistakes from their last Transit Connect EV they collaborated with Azure Dynamics on.

Maybe I’m dense.... how can there be lack of demand when it was never available to buy? I’ve never seen one yet on a dealer lot or on the streets.  Available late 2019 is what I remember seeing/hearing?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mnm said:

Maybe I’m dense.... how can there be lack of demand when it was never available to buy? I’ve never seen one yet on a dealer lot or on the streets.  Available late 2019 is what I remember seeing/hearing?

NO orders for diesel so I guess they just didn't proceed with bringing any over for stock

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

personally I think it would have been terrific, however...I think we will see Hybrids ultimately replacing diesels engines in anything but vehicles designed to tow large loads...

Cue mlhm5 and perez817 extolling the virtue of Teslas' as yet in production Semi in 5..4..3..2...

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

If you believe what the Detroit News wrote yesterday, this is exactly what will happen.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2019/07/10/ford-vw-alliance-autonomous-electric-vehicles/1695632001/

It's been rumored for a few years ever since Mark Fields announced that autonomous BEV project for Flat Rock right before he was canned. 

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's been rumored for a few years ever since Mark Fields announced that autonomous BEV project for Flat Rock right before he was canned. 

I do remember those rumors.  The difference now is that the Transit Connect will be built on the VW EV platform (assuming the Ford/VW cooperative venture does takes place).

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

NO orders for diesel so I guess they just didn't proceed with bringing any over for stock

no one even really knew about it and it was late availability anyways....if they had actually arrived, and been drivable the story would be somewhat different...

6 hours ago, twintornados said:

Cue mlhm5 and perez817 extolling the virtue of Teslas' as yet in production Semi in 5..4..3..2...

you forgot the speedster and pickup...oh and Model Y...……….not sure of all the dates of those announcements , but they correlate when Tesla needed an injection of cash.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mnm said:

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

There was/is NO real advantage to a small diesel in North America, especially in this application.

Fuel operating costs per mile? Not once they met our standards for emissions and diesel usually is higher priced than gas.

Longevity? Not with modern diesels.

More to buy upfront. More to maintain. And that is not figuring in issues with non-owners putting the wrong fuel or DEF in the tank and having a $10k repair bill. Resale value difference will be almost none.

• Like 1

I think Ford must have Federalized the diesel Transit Connect based on order commitment from a (or a few) large fleet operator. And maybe that fleet customer changed its mind, which means there is really no point to go through with it.

• Like 1