Ford Mustang Mach E World Premiere Nov 17 9PM EST

29 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

With multiple electric vehicles on the horizon, it would have made more sense to make an electric sub brand. if you didn’t want to go that route, you could have made a performance sub brand. Call it SVT.

Either one of these options would have been less controversial and just as effective as naming it after the mustang.

But then you lose the brand equity associated with icons like Mustang and F150.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

But then you lose the brand equity associated with icons like Mustang and F150.  

the risks of tarnishing the mustang name are greater than any benefit the Mach e would get from being associated with it. 

think about it, are sales going to increase at all due to being associated with mustang? Probably not by very much. But if this product turned out to be a complete bust (it won’t) them you’ve ruined the mustang name.

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

the risks of tarnishing the mustang name are greater than any benefit the Mach e would get from being associated with it. 

think about it, are sales going to increase at all due to being associated with mustang? Probably not by very much. But if this product turned out to be a complete bust (it won’t) them you’ve ruined the mustang name.

It won’t ruin anything.  It’s not replacing the current mustang.  

People said Porsche would die if they built SUVs and sedans.  They were completely wrong.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

Will the Mach E sales numbers be rolled into the Mustang sales numbers?

Of course not. No more than sales of Range Rover Velars are rolled into the sales numbers of the larger Range Rover Sport, smaller Range Rover Evoque, or the original "full fat" Range Rover. And those 4 different vehicles have more in common than the original Mustang and the Mustang Mach-E. That's how sub-branding works. 

I expect we'll see the same develop with the Bronco sub-brand (assuming Ford does in fact go the formal sub-branding route with Mustang/Mustang Mach-E and Bronco/Bronco Maverick--or whatever they end up calling the Baby Bronco).

28 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Let's stop this "Mustang is going die" doom and gloom. 

Even if Hackett were that stupid somehow (I doubt it), Bill Ford would veto that decision.

It's not going anywhere. 

People just don’t like change. I wasn’t a fan of calling it a Mustang at first, but I’ve embraced it and think it’s a good idea, as long as they keep the MustangMustang around-I just wonder what else they are going to do with the Mustang subbrand. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Mach is actually German and the correct pronunciation is "Mack",  like max

But that's the funny thing about our very elastic English language. We dont have a language academy like the French who have to approve  changes. Once Yaeger started pronouncing it like "mock" everyone else started doing so as well and now every English dictionary uses this pronunciation (do a quick Google search and try to find one that uses the now archaic pronunciation even as a lesser-used alternative). 

See for instance:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/mach

10 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

But that's the funny thing about our very elastic English language. We dont have a language academy like the French who have to approve  changes. Once Yaeger started pronouncing it like "mock" everyone else started doing so as well and now every English dictionary uses this pronunciation (do a quick Google search and try to find one that uses the now archaic pronunciation even as a lesser-used alternative). 

See for instance:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/mach

That's not pronounced "Mock" either, the phonetics with "h" suggests Mark.

Click the voice / speaker on your own link and the spoken pronunciation is Mark.

I put it down to Americanese........

Edited by jpd80

23 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Click the voice / speaker on your own link and the spoken pronunciation is Mark.

I listened and heard “laurel” ???

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, passis said:

So, no Honda e in the US?

maybe under a different name if Ford objects to them selling it as Honda e.

Ford Edge couldn't be sold in Australia because Toyota had Corolla Edge

trademarked and would not relinquish it even though not used in recent times.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, akirby said:

It won’t ruin anything.  It’s not replacing the current mustang.  

People said Porsche would die if they built SUVs and sedans.  They were completely wrong.

There's a big difference though. A huge difference. Porsche did not expand the 911 into a sub-brand by calling the new vehicles: Porsche 911 Cayenne, Porsche 911 Macan, and Porsche 911 Panamera. There was not any association with the 911 or Boxster/Cayman or any other existing vehicles in their lineup to the new SUVs and sedans. They used similar styling and may have even marketed 911 inspiration but it was not considered and expansion of the 911 at all. The Panamera looks like a 4 door 911 sedan in some ways, depending on some angles you view it, but was not intended to be the '4-door 911' type of vehicle. Only the soul of 911 incorporated into the new vehicles but they were given different names without the 911 attached at all.

Ford wants to use Mustang's inspiration and use the running horse logo, both which are okay with me as I've come to accept the usage of horse logo, but to attach the Mustang name to it is not going to sit right with the purists. Look at the uproar when it was originally announced as Mach 1. I'm sure you remember the uproar in the 80s when Mustang was basically going to be turned into what ended up as Probe. That was before Internet and social media, mind you, so imagine the bigger uproar if announced as Mustang Mach-E. Even if the regular Mustang will still be long hood/short deck, 2-door rear drive pony car, the name should not be attached to the 4-door electric powered vehicle that looks front drive. Someone suggested Probe name which is genius I think. However I understand Mach E as a dig at Tesla's desire to have Model E. Someone has said the Mustang name will be attached to it but referred to as Mach E just as much as the F-Series Super Duty is referred to as Super Duty. This I object as Mach E should be good enough name as is. I seen the recent spy photos of it with minimal camo covering and I love it! Even with horse logo, it's okay. Only the 'Mustang' name is what I object to it if as part of it. But it's a week from today for the reveal and announcement so we'll see what all happens.

51 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

Chuck Yeager pronounces it "Mock". I think he gets to set the pronunciation.

That's how I always pronounced it.

45 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Mach is actually German and the correct pronunciation is "Mack",  like max

I didn't know that but I still think people will continue to say the Mock. I'm guessing the pronunciation of this word won't be settled like the tomato and tomahto. lol

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I have not personally experienced British usage, but it is "mock" in American usage, the only pronunciation I have ever heard here. I did click on the audio on the Dictionary.com link I put up, and I heard mock. A few more links for you from U.S dictionaries. And ending with the Cambridge dictionary, which settles our disagreement. It is, indeed, pronounced "mock" in American usage, but "mack" in British usage, so we are both right.

Three more American dictionaries:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mach

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/mach

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Mach

Now, Cambridge dictionary:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/mach

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Thanks 1

There's a big difference though. A huge difference. Porsche did not expand the 911 into a sub-brand by calling the new vehicles: Porsche 911 Cayenne, Porsche 911 Macan, and Porsche 911 Panamera. There was not any association with the 911 or Boxster/Cayman or any other existing vehicles in their lineup to the new SUVs and sedans.

What he was driving at was that for many years, there was only one type of Porsche, a two door rear engined sports car. Now Porsche brand is more than just the archetypical Porsche.

11 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

I can't say how it is pronounced in British usage, but it is "mock" in American usage, the only pronunciation I have ever heard here. A few more links for you from U.S dictionaries. And ending with the Cambridge dictionary, which settles our disagreement. It is, indeed, pronounced "mock" in American usage, but "mack" in British usage.

Three more American dictionaries:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mach

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/mach

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Mach

Now, Cambridge dictionary:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/mach

Not to carry this on but to my "British" ears, all those spoken US phonetics sound like "MARK" not "MOCK"

either I have potatoes in my ears or you guys have a special way of pronouncing that A that's hard to tie down.

I do agree Mack for British / commonwealth countries although the Canadians may side with USA.

Edited by jpd80

8 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

What he was driving at was that for many years, there was only one type of Porsche, a two door rear engined sports car.

Now Porsche brand

Oh I got that but again, the brand was expanded with all-new names. They did not attach the 911 to each of the new names such as 911 Cayenne, etc. But we'll see how it all lays out next week.

27 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

Oh I got that but again, the brand was expanded with all-new names. They did not attach the 911 to each of the new names such as 911 Cayenne, etc. But we'll see how it all lays out next week.

You will and it will make sense, trust me

The main thing people are objecting to is the horse emblem being used.....

When people realize that it embodies a lot of what the Mustang stands for in

terms of performance handling/driving and acceleration, I'm sure people will get it.

There will always be those who resist change and want Mustang to be a museum piece

stuck in the past and that is good too but the Mach E allows Ford to do something new.

They're doing both at the same time without intent of one replacing the other, the idea

here is to actually grow combined sales.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

What he was driving at was that for many years, there was only one type of Porsche, a two door rear engined sports car. Now Porsche brand is more than just the archetypical Porsche.

Not to carry this on but to my "British" ears, all those spoken US phonetics sound like "MARK" not "MOCK"

either I have potatoes in my ears or you guys have a special way of pronouncing that A that's hard to tie down.

I do agree Mack for British / commonwealth countries although the Canadians may side with USA.

Nope, must be a difference in how the sound is perceived over there. To an American ear there is no "r" sound in those audio files. I can only assume the perception difference is in how differently Brits and Yanks approach the letter r in the spoken language.