Bronco Delayed

21 hours ago, probowler said:

People are still driving vehicles from the 30s.... You think the ICE is going to disappear in 15 years?

I don't think that's a question as to whether people will own ICEs well into the future - the question there will be WHERE you're allowed to drive them, with political morons banning ICEs in areas.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 2:54 PM, Sevensecondsuv said:

All these people claiming the 2.7 is somehow superior to a 5.0L coyote V8 need to go test drive some F150s.  There's a reason the 5.0L is higher up the option line.

The 2.7L is the option in the Bronco because it's "enough" for most people, the wide ass coyote would have been harder to fit in the Bronco, and Ford doesn't think they need a V8 to hit their sales targets.  But let's not pretend the 5.0L wouldn't be preferable in many ways from a consumer standpoint.

color me one in the not convinced column....smacking in the biggest overkill engine purely for bragging rights is Rams and Jeeps/ Dodges go too....I think the 2.7 in the Bronco is plenty, and maybe down the road for those that deem it necessary...there will be a tune ( not to mention Warthog ) 

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 2

On 12/4/2020 at 6:35 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

The other thing too is they absolutely don't want to bring in a third shift at the plant right out of the gate until it's more clear what long term demand will be once the initial hype has passed.  That gets expensive real quick when you have to find jobs for an entire shift worth of people and no room for them at other plants. 

Don’t you think with the next gen Ranger coming fairly soon they could justify the 3rd shift to cover the Bronco initial demand and then carry forward with the new Ranger after the initial Bronco demand tapers off a bit? 

On 12/4/2020 at 6:48 PM, 02MustangGT said:

You do know that Ford is “recommending” that dealers require an additional deposit, right?   Several dealers that are active on Bronco6g have stated this as fact.  Ford is also penalizing dealers for not delivering Broncos to customers who placed the order.  I have no issue with additional deposits, but others will step out of the ordering line when it comes time to put down $500-$1000.  

My dealer would never ask for a deposit, other than those required by Ford, as in the Bronco’s case.  If I don’t buy the Bronco that I will order, they will sell it to someone else.  

I’m personally ok with the delay, because I’m starting a new house in the spring, and would prefer to take delivery in late summer or early fall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone said:

Don’t you think with the next gen Ranger coming fairly soon they could justify the 3rd shift to cover the Bronco initial demand and then carry forward with the new Ranger after the initial Bronco demand tapers off a bit? 

Logic says yes but it's not that simple. A lot can change in 2 years. If the economy nosedives and demand vanishes suddenly you’re spending a lot of money paying a lot of people to go away. 

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Logic says yes but it's not that simple. A lot can change in 2 years. If the economy nosedives and demand vanishes suddenly you’re spending a lot of money paying a lot of people to go away. 

I feel like you should be able to hire people on a ”non-permanant” basis with an option to extend, but maybe that's too logical an approach when dealing with unions.

27 minutes ago, probowler said:

I feel like you should be able to hire people on a ”non-permanant” basis with an option to extend, but maybe that's too logical an approach when dealing with unions.

They do. All hourly new hires are brought in as either temporary full time (TFT) or part-time (TPT) depending on manpower needs and have to be continuously employed for 2 years in order to be moved to "in progression" (which is the fancy name they came up with for the replacement of the 2 tier system) which is permanent with seniority.

When you consider the financial investment in hiring and training 1,200+ people for a new shift that adds up quickly. If that goes away after say, a year, then it really calls to question the payoff of the financial investment to pay all those people plus benefits, plus retirement buyouts because that's almost always offered when there's a shift elimination. Better to pay 2 shifts a boatload of overtime and bring in additional TPT's to cover vacations/days off (the Union doesn't particularly like that but they negotiated it into the contract so they have no leg to stand on) than it is to add a third shift. If the demand holds strong or a 3rd product is added to MAP then I'm sure it will happen. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

23 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They do. All hourly new hires are brought in as either temporary full time (TFT) or part-time (TPT) depending on manpower needs and have to be continuously employed for 2 years in order to be moved to "in progression" (which is the fancy name they came up with for the replacement of the 2 tier system) which is permanent with seniority.

When you consider the financial investment in hiring and training 1,200+ people for a new shift that adds up quickly. If that goes away after say, a year, then it really calls to question the payoff of the financial investment to pay all those people plus benefits, plus retirement buyouts because that's almost always offered when there's a shift elimination. Better to pay 2 shifts a boatload of overtime and bring in additional TPT's to cover vacations/days off (the Union doesn't particularly like that but they negotiated it into the contract so they have no leg to stand on) than it is to add a third shift. If the demand holds strong or a 3rd product is added to MAP then I'm sure it will happen. 

Question, will your body and paint shops not require 3 shifts in order to keep up with the main plant running on two shifts?? We do mass relief in the main plant and tag relief in body and paint at OAC since they got rid of the Flex and Mkt and the third shift in body and paint.  I don’t know the MAP system but typically body shop especially and paint can’t keep up with the main plant. 

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I definitely appreciate overtime. Your way does make a lot of sense, thanks for the insight.

On 12/4/2020 at 7:48 PM, 02MustangGT said:

You do know that Ford is “recommending” that dealers require an additional deposit, right?   Several dealers that are active on Bronco6g have stated this as fact.  Ford is also penalizing dealers for not delivering Broncos to customers who placed the order.  I have no issue with additional deposits, but others will step out of the ordering line when it comes time to put down $500-$1000.  

Other than through Ford's reservation system for specific vehicles there is no deposit required from customers. The decision on deposits for retail orders submitted through dealerships is entirely up to the Dealer. Retail orders are given priority for scheduling and if a Dealer violates the ordering system by submitting "extra" retail orders they risk being penalized by losing future scheduling allocation. Ford routinely monitors inventory for retail orders that remain in Dealer inventory for extended periods and contacts Dealers when multiple retail orders remain in stock and not delivered or sold to the customer for which it was ordered. 

6 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

Question, will your body and paint shops not require 3 shifts in order to keep up with the main plant running on two shifts?? We do mass relief in the main plant and tag relief in body and paint at OAC since they got rid of the Flex and Mkt and the third shift in body and paint.  I don’t know the MAP system but typically body shop especially and paint can’t keep up with the main plant. 

As of right now there's no plans for a third shift anywhere on site according to what I was told by someone high up in plant management, but granted that was back in June. Now that said, my old launch lead said in her 22 years in the company she has never seen body shop work with less than 3 shifts, even when we were building Focus/C-Max and it wasn't selling that great. We do have tag relief coming back at some point but exactly when that starts is TBD. Right now Body and Paint run on 2 shifts and Final runs on 1, and final just started up their night shift this week with the plan being 2 on/2 off alternating until Bronco hits MP1. I haven't heard a date when that will happen but my guess is end of January or early February.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, probowler said:

I definitely appreciate overtime. Your way does make a lot of sense, thanks for the insight.

Just to add further, GM and FCA Stellantis do this too. FCA used to get around it by using contractors instead. I'm not sure if they still do or not, I don't know anyone who works there anymore. 

15 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

As of right now there's no plans for a third shift anywhere on site according to what I was told by someone high up in plant management, but granted that was back in June. Now that said, my old launch lead said in her 22 years in the company she has never seen body shop work with less than 3 shifts, even when we were building Focus/C-Max and it wasn't selling that great. We do have tag relief coming back at some point but exactly when that starts is TBD. Right now Body and Paint run on 2 shifts and Final runs on 1, and final just started up their night shift this week with the plan being 2 on/2 off alternating until Bronco hits MP1. I haven't heard a date when that will happen but my guess is end of January or early February.

That’s funny, if body and paint are already on two shifts when you guys go full boat MP1 good luck with body especially and paint keeping up. I’m thinking based of what your launch lead says and the demand that body and paint will have to go 3 shifts. Or body will have to run weekends non stop if that’s what fomoco would rather do.

Hearing last night Job 1 has been pushed back from 3/15 to 5/3.

On 12/9/2020 at 8:09 PM, Oacjay98 said:

That’s funny, if body and paint are already on two shifts when you guys go full boat MP1 good luck with body especially and paint keeping up. I’m thinking based of what your launch lead says and the demand that body and paint will have to go 3 shifts. Or body will have to run weekends non stop if that’s what fomoco would rather do.

Been told Paint can ramp up to line pace of Final. As for body I believe that the Bronco is a separate line, so already adding 2 shifts there. Hopefully Fuzzy can confirm

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chris532 said:

Hearing last night Job 1 has been pushed back from 3/15 to 5/3.

Been told Paint can ramp up to line pace of Final. As for body I believe that the Bronco is a separate line, so already adding 2 shifts there. Hopefully Fuzzy can confirm

Job 1 was never 3/15, it is 3/22 and that has not changed as of when I left for the day.... and yes body is adding a 2nd shift sometime in January. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Job 1 was never 3/15, it is 3/22 and that has not changed as of when I left for the day.... and yes body is adding a 2nd shift sometime in January. 

CONFIRMED! Per today's FDNB (Fleet Distribution News Bulletin) the 2021 Bronco Job #1 Date just got pushed back to 05/03/2021. I just posted the revised timetable in the Bronco Forum. 

https://blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/69665-2021-bronco-production-information/

Edited by ice-capades
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

CONFIRMED! Per today's FDNB (Fleet Distribution News Bulletin) the 2021 Bronco Job #1 Date just got pushed back to 05/03/2021. I just posted the revised timetable in the Bronco Forum. 

Not surprised considering the “media” release on 12/4 indicating supplier delays.  No way Ford was sticking with the original March job 1 date as some “insiders” claimed.  Thanks for confirming!

Edited by 02MustangGT
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, probowler said:

What is a job#1, and does that mean ford won't start building the bronco until May?

The Job #1 Date is the start of regular production. The order bank opening and scheduling start dates are posted in the Bronco Forum.

https://blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/69665-2021-bronco-production-information/

Edited by ice-capades
  • Thanks 1

Fuzzy might be able to confirm if Ford intends build quite a few Broncos before the official Job 1 

depending on circumstances with suppliers as a way of crew training without the pressure of 

"full production speed" until they're comfortable with build quality. Many good lessons were

learned with Ranger's launch.

13 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Fuzzy might be able to confirm if Ford intends build quite a few Broncos before the official Job 1 

depending on circumstances with suppliers as a way of crew training without the pressure of 

"full production speed" until they're comfortable with build quality. Many good lessons were

learned with Ranger's launch.

I can confirm nothing. Communication has been lackluster at best, and I now have a new launch lead who is still coming up to speed so she isn't really someone I can count on to answer questions yet. 

3 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I can confirm nothing. Communication has been lackluster at best, and I now have a new launch lead who is still coming up to speed so she isn't really someone I can count on to answer questions yet. 

OK, this could take a while......