Jump to content

None






rmc523

2022 Mitsubishi Outlander Revealed

Recommended Posts

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/16/2022-mitsubishi-outlander-reveal/

 

2022 Mitsubishi Outlander

2022 Mitsubishi Outlander

2022 Mitsubishi Outlander

 

 



The 2022 Mitsubishi Outlander is a pretty big deal for the automaker. It marks the first time since 2014 that the brand's long-running small crossover has had a thorough overhaul and not just a big facelift. It also marks the first Mitsubishi model in the U.S. to take advantage of the company's recent induction to the Nissan-Renault Alliance. The result is a crossover that combines Mitsubishi styling and tuning with mechanical bits shared with Nissan.

 

Under the skin, the Outlander uses a shared platform developed by the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance. Though not explicitly specified, it should be the platform that also underpins the Rogue as well as the Sentra. The engine is another shared item, with the only offering for now being the naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four-cylinder making 181 horsepower and 181 pound-feet of torque. The old Outlander's V6 option is gone, but a new plug-in hybrid model is on the way. The four-cylinder is coupled to a CVT and either front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. Fuel economy numbers haven't been announced, but we would expect them to be comparable to the Rogue, which gets between 28 and 30 mpg in combined driving.

 

 

The back looks like a Highlander to me, and that screen inside looks small by today's standards.  Looks nice by Mitsu standards, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

😴😴😴😴😴

 

Just another crossover in a sea of crossovers. 
 

Who cares? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not terrible until you get to those nostrils.  WTF???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Who cares? 

 

Apparently, new car customers in general. The crossover craze makes no sense logically. But marketers have been successful promoting crossover type vehicles beyond what anyone would have thought even 5 years ago. Every automaker including Mitsubishi Motors is joining the madness, and Mitsubishi shouldn't have any trouble finding customers for 2022 Outlander.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

😴😴😴😴😴

 

Just another crossover in a sea of crossovers. 
 

Who cares? 

I said the same thing about the Pathfinder a few weeks ago on this forum and I agree, the same line works here too. If it wasn't for the strange front, I'd forget it seconds after looking away. This one is Mitsubishi's version of the Nissan Rogue. I do like the interior though, that's pretty nice, but I'm so sick of crossovers too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Mitsubishi shouldn't have any trouble finding customers for 2022 Outlander


That's assuming customers can find a Mitsubishi dealer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:


That's assuming customers can find a Mitsubishi dealer 

 

Good point fuzzymoomoo sir. Mitsubishi Motors is down to about 350 dealers in the U.S. In 2002 they had 580 dealers.

 

Nissan by comparison has over 1,000 dealers currently.

Edited by rperez817

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

 

Apparently, new car customers in general. The crossover craze makes no sense logically. But marketers have been successful promoting crossover type vehicles beyond what anyone would have thought even 5 years ago. Every automaker including Mitsubishi Motors is joining the madness, and Mitsubishi shouldn't have any trouble finding customers for 2022 Outlander.

 

690287337_dacwqlq-5b2c76e2-27ab-44a8-8432-4801a97096e0.pngtokeneyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.-IiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0M.thumb.png.3918e016daf26bf6a11312deae926ff2.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s got a handlebar mustache up front!

 

Can’t this company just go away?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tbone said:

It’s got a handlebar mustache up front!

 

Can’t this company just go away?!

 

I'm honestly surprised they're still around, and didn't leave when Suzuki did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I'm honestly surprised they're still around, and didn't leave when Suzuki did.

 

Autoweek said last year that "The Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi partnership’s goal is eventually to have Nissan focus on the U.S. and China, Renault focus on Europe and Mitsubishi target Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand, potentially cutting down on market overlap." But the same Autoweek article also said that "Mitsubishi sales here were actually up 2.5% last year and the company relocated to Tennessee, building a new HQ, joining Nissan in Franklin. At the time the company called the new permanent office space the most tangible demonstration of Mitsubishi’s ongoing plan to reinvigorate its presence and vehicle offerings in the U.S. marketplace." Mitsubishi Might Be Dialing Back Its US Efforts (autoweek.com)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rperez817 said:

 

Autoweek said last year that "The Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi partnership’s goal is eventually to have Nissan focus on the U.S. and China, Renault focus on Europe and Mitsubishi target Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand, potentially cutting down on market overlap." But the same Autoweek article also said that "Mitsubishi sales here were actually up 2.5% last year and the company relocated to Tennessee, building a new HQ, joining Nissan in Franklin. At the time the company called the new permanent office space the most tangible demonstration of Mitsubishi’s ongoing plan to reinvigorate its presence and vehicle offerings in the U.S. marketplace." Mitsubishi Might Be Dialing Back Its US Efforts (autoweek.com)

When you sell under 100k vehicles a year it is easy to hit 2.5% and have it mean nothing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exterior is garbage but its the "going thing"....interior it wins and yet ford still persist in trying to have us buy-into there utter interior garbage philosopy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2021 at 2:10 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

😴😴😴😴😴

 

Just another crossover in a sea of crossovers. 
 

Who cares? 


I know it’s semantics but I hate the term crossover.  It’s nothing more than a made up marketing term for SUVs.  
 

And the only reason it was made up was when, as a country, we vilified SUVs around the 2007-2008 timeframe.  Gas prices spiked and SUVs became evil.  So we had to make up a word so the precious little greenies were happy.  “These aren’t those evil SUVs, these are crossovers.....very different than SUVs.”  
 

That’s when the country started down the toilet 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2021 at 10:22 PM, rmc523 said:

 

I'm honestly surprised they're still around, and didn't leave when Suzuki did.


More than anything I’m surprised there are dealers holding on. Even if it’s co-located with another brand there has to be a cost to keeping it going, and it’s hard to believed you’d sell/service enough to make it worthwhile. 
 

Surprisingly (admittedly quick google) there are 350 Mitsubishi dealers in the USA and only 200 Mazda dealers. By comparison there are over 3,000 Ford stores. 

Edited by sullynd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FR739 said:


I know it’s semantics but I hate the term crossover.  It’s nothing more than a made up marketing term for SUVs.  
 

And the only reason it was made up was when, as a country, we vilified SUVs around the 2007-2008 timeframe.  Gas prices spiked and SUVs became evil.  So we had to make up a word so the precious little greenies were happy.  “These aren’t those evil SUVs, these are crossovers.....very different than SUVs.”   


That’s ridiculous.  It was coined to mean SUV styling on a car (unibody) platform as opposed to traditional body on frame truck based SUVs.  They offered AWD vs 4wd, way better ride, handling, NVH, features and fuel economy when they debuted so it was important to distinguish them.  
 

Nowadays the line is more blurry with rugged unibodies with 4wd but in the beginning it was appropriate.

 

We went from explorers to an expedition to an aviator to a Ford Edge in 2008 and the difference was night and day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 8:21 AM, sullynd said:

I hate to break it to you, but SUV is also a “made up term”. 


If you want to be that specific, all terms are made up.  But we had an established term for that type of vehicle and because of verbal optics, we had to change it.  The SUV was demonized while the exact same vehicle (named crossover) was embraced.  
 

But at the end of the day they are the same vehicle.  The term SUV was one of the first victims of cancel culture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, FR739 said:


If you want to be that specific, all terms are made up.  But we had an established term for that type of vehicle and because of verbal optics, we had to change it.  The SUV was demonized while the exact same vehicle (named crossover) was embraced.  
 

But at the end of the day they are the same vehicle.  The term SUV was one of the first victims of cancel culture. 


Bullshit.  Crossovers and body on frame SUVs are not the same vehicle.  An Escape or RAV4 is a totally different vehicle than a Bronco, expedition or highlander.   These are very real and very objective differences.   And like I said above there are tweeners like grand Cherokee, Bronco sport and Explorer  that are unibody but very rugged but those are exceptions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've owned 7 body on frame trucks and suvs.   I've also owned 3 crossovers.  We moved from a 2003 Aviator to a 2008 Edge and the difference was night and day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×