Hyundai Ioniq 5 EV Debuts

Harley Lover

Not everyone will like the throwback styling, but this vehicle debuts their new global EV chassis, and it has impressive capabilities:

Ioniq 5 has an operating voltage of 800 volts, and when hooked up to a 350-kW charger, the Hyundai’s battery can go from 5 percent to 80 percent in 18 minutes. The Porsche Taycan needs 22.5 minutes to do the same. Ioniq 5 also supports both 400-V and 800-V charging infrastructure.

The Ioniq 5 can be had with either rear- or all-wheel drive. In the all-wheel format, output will be 302 horsepower and 446 pound-feet of torque, with a claimed zero-to-60-mph time of 5.2 seconds, while the rear-wheel-drive model makes 215 horsepower and 258 pound-feet and is claimed to get to 60 mph in 7.4 seconds.

The Ioniq 5 also comes with Hyundai’s Highway Driver Assist 2 (HDA 2), a level-2 driver assist system and the first Hyundai to come with the second generation of the driver assist system. HDA 2 will allow the Ioniq 5 to drive on the highway with minimal driver intervention and can automatically change lanes by activating the turn signal. This system is similar to the capabilities of the Super Cruise system in Cadillacs.

Here's where pictures make it difficult to assess:

The Ioniq 5’s wheelbase, which stretches just over 118 inches, is longer than the Hyundai Palisade’s, but its overall length—just over 182 inches—is 14 inches shorter than that SUV. The Ioniq 5 is six inches longer than the Tucson but still two inches shorter in height. So its dimensions put it somewhere between a crossover and a hatchback, but not fitting perfectly into either category.

I've read elsewhere it's roughly the length of a Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV-4.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35590236/2022-hyundai-ioniq-5-revealed/

ioniq-5-main-1-1614020502.jpg?crop=1.00x

Edited by Harley Lover

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

I actually think it looks pretty cool. Was the range or price released?

In the Ioniq 5, this platform gives the EV 77.4 kWh of usable battery, good for between 290 and 300 miles based on the WLTP rating system. Typically, U.S. EPA ranges are lower than those from the WLTP. For example, the Hyundai Kona Electric, which has a 64.0-kWh battery, sees a WLTP estimate of 301 miles while the EPA estimates range to be 258 miles.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

Seems slow compared to other BEVs like the Mach-e.  The styling to me is terrible but range seems decent.

If I had to guess, I’d say the price for the ioniq 5 will land between the bolt and the Mach e so it makes sense that it might be a bit slower.

46 minutes ago, tbone said:

I actually think the exterior looks pretty good. Better than Hyundai’s current design philosophy.  I don’t care for the dash design.  It’s kind of boring.  

there’s supposed to be 4 or 5 different interior colors so that might make it a bit more interesting. I like the dual 12” screen set up and it looks like all passengers will have ample legroom. Front seat recliners seem a bit strange but I guess they are there to let you relax while you are charging. 

54 minutes ago, akirby said:

Seems slow compared to other BEVs like the Mach-e.  The styling to me is terrible but range seems decent.

The packaging of the interior is what I see as being different - they went with a flat floor, and really stretched the interior space (similar to what Jag did with their EV) - it has much more interior room than a vehicle of its exterior size.

The 800v system (with 400v capability) is what sets this apart from many other current mass market offerings - it will make a material difference in fast charge times. 

Too bad they aren't ready to announce the price - this could be an interesting alternative if the price is right, or DOA if they price it way too high.

Edited by Harley Lover

We are all going to have to get use to the proportions of these new EVs. The long wheelbase is playing tricks on our eyes because we are used to proportion of ICE cars so we look at where the "hood" is and that is throwing your brain off on the real size of this car.

The long wheelbase is hard to see with your eyes unless it is parked next to a vehicle of similar size. 

Proportionally, your brain is telling you this car should be the size of Focus hatchback but dimensionally, it is actually the size of Escape. 

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Really? I think it's far less offensive or boring than most electric gimmick vehicles.

Came in expecting to hate it and was pleasantly surprised. Different strokes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, probowler said:

Really? I think it's far less offensive or boring than most electric gimmick vehicles.

Came in expecting to hate it and was pleasantly surprised. Different strokes.

Just not liking the front end or the interior.  Personal preference.

I actually really like that.

Side note on Hyundai.  My wife's Edge lease is up in October, so this past weekend we decided to go and look around at similar sized vehicles to see if she wanted to go Ford again or not.  We looked at the Grand Cherokee and the 2021 Santa Fe just to compare to the Edge.  I was thoroughly impressed by the new Santa Fe (it has an all refreshed interior & exterior for '21). The interior in it is worlds ahead of my the Edge.  She really liked the exterior styling too.  (another side note: she owned a first gen Santa Fe which was totalled when she was 8 months preggo and she <and baby> got out with nary a scratch)

The Grand Cherokee was very traditional in comparison (not bad, just simpler) and getting back in her Edge felt like going back in time.  I don't think a 10 inch screen can help the rest of the interior when comparing it to the competition.  It really should have gotten the full new dash like the Nautilus.

I don't tell her what to buy, so time will tell where she ends up.

Edited by Anthony

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

The 80s called and wants their exterior design back.

I like the idea, but it just doesn't look good to me.  Furthermore, too many random creases and carved lines like the wheel arch ones.

The Ioniq 5 design is paying homage to the first ever Hyundai... the 1976 Pony, designed by Giugiaro.

Basically the same idea as Mach E, except Ford had a Mustang and Hyundai has a little Pony ? 

hyundai-45-concept_100715263_h.jpg

10 hours ago, bzcat said:

The Ioniq 5 design is paying homage to the first ever Hyundai... the 1976 Pony, designed by Giugiaro.

Basically the same idea as Mach E, except Ford had a Mustang and Hyundai has a little Pony ? 

hyundai-45-concept_100715263_h.jpg

Homage to an early Hyundai model? OMG, those cars were awful. I once had a Hyundai Excel and it was the worst car I ever owned. When I sold it after only a couple of years I vowed I would never buy a Hyundai again. That carmaker was at one point close to failing, at least in the United States. It is amazing how far they have come given how bad their early models were and how trashed their reputation became in the North American market. They now have among the most reliable vehicles made, have about the best warranty in the business, and wow folks with many of their new designs. I'm actually considering getting a Genesis GV80 or GV70 when the lease on my Nautilus runs out in early 2022, given FMC's decision not to go ahead with their original redesign plans for the Edge/Nautilus. I might also decide just to buy out my lease and wait another year or two to see what Lincoln comes up with in that market space.

Edited by Gurgeh

11 hours ago, hand-filer said:

The 60's called and wants their 2005+ Mustang design back.

Comparing a car released 15+ years ago to one released today?  The current one isn't retro.

At least Mustang's retro design was of a vehicle people loved and clamored for.   Can the same be said of this Hyundai?  No.

• Like 1