Jump to content





Recommended Posts

Ford told suppliers to gear up for 2023 production start of 3rd gen Transit Connect in Hermosilo. Project code is V758 which implies it is related to Maverick (P758). 

 

This is a different Transit Connect from the European replacement which is supposedly going to be rebadged VW Caddy.

 

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/ford-planning-next-gen-transit-connect-to-be-built-at-hermosillo-plant/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Should have happened a decade ago, too bad it wasn't feasible then. 

Yes.  Would have saved some money and hassle dodging the chicken tax.

Does that fill the plant to capacity? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is interesting news, and makes some sense of some other moves like the VW Caddy one.

 

I wonder if it inches closer to MB Metris in dimension if it's no longer tied to the Euro sizing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slemke said:

Does that fill the plant to capacity? 


175k Bronco Sport 

75k Maverick 

50k TC  
 

Ford would be very happy with 300k out of it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, slemke said:

Yes.  Would have saved some money and hassle dodging the chicken tax.

Does that fill the plant to capacity? 


I can't say for sure but it has to be close enough for Ford to be happy with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, slemke said:

Yes.  Would have saved some money and hassle dodging the chicken tax.

Does that fill the plant to capacity? 

Boils down to a timing issue and Ford trying to be creative in dodging the chicken tax, which didn't work out for them. 

 

13 hours ago, bzcat said:

Ford told suppliers to gear up for 2023 production start of 3rd gen Transit Connect in Hermosilo. Project code is V758 which implies it is related to Maverick (P758). 

 

This is a different Transit Connect from the European replacement which is supposedly going to be rebadged VW Caddy.

 

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/ford-planning-next-gen-transit-connect-to-be-built-at-hermosillo-plant/

 

In the other thread with the Maverick, how much longer could the TC get? I thought the whole point of the TC was to replace the E-150 due to footprint issues when it came to CAFE...then again the E-150 wasn't really suited for I3 and I4 Ecoboost motors either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I thought the whole point of the TC was to replace the E-150 due to footprint issues when it came to CAFE..

 

TC instead of Transit??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This should keep Hermosillo full.  I think at peak capacity they were producing around 350K-375K Fusions/MKZs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jasonj80 said:


175k Bronco Sport 

75k Maverick 

50k TC  
 

Ford would be very happy with 300k out of it. 

 

 

So what else is going into Cautitlan or however you spell it? 50,000 MachEs/year is way under capacity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

 

So what else is going into Cautitlan or however you spell it? 50,000 MachEs/year is way under capacity. 

 

Cuautitlan.   I would presume more BEVs and any small CUV they decide to bring over like Puma, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll probably see  at least 150k+ Mach-e and another BEV product will come out of there in the next 2-3 years. Ford was very conservative with the Mach-e volume to figure out the market, how the product would be received, as well as the production methods for exclusive BEV production. They can dramatically scale up over the next 18 months if needed. The Mach-e will/is just as big of a hit as the full size Bronco but with the main street of car buying public. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s no doubt the Mach E is a great car and shows what Ford  can do when it commits to building best in class vehicles. However, it is expensive and relies on the federal $7500 tax credit. I doubt sales of 150,000 annually can be reached without the subsidy to buyers unless Ford cuts the price significantly.  Plus, can enough batteries be sourced to get to that kind of a volume in the next couple of years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bzcat said:

Ford told suppliers to gear up for 2023 production start of 3rd gen Transit Connect in Hermosilo. Project code is V758 which implies it is related to Maverick (P758). 

 

This is a different Transit Connect from the European replacement which is supposedly going to be rebadged VW Caddy.

 

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/ford-planning-next-gen-transit-connect-to-be-built-at-hermosillo-plant/

 

C2 based means the potential for a hybrid version, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

There’s no doubt the Mach E is a great car and shows what Ford  can do when it commits to building best in class vehicles. However, it is expensive and relies on the federal $7500 tax credit. I doubt sales of 150,000 annually can be reached without the subsidy to buyers unless Ford cuts the price significantly.  Plus, can enough batteries be sourced to get to that kind of a volume in the next couple of years?

 

I suspect they priced Mach-E with the tax credit in mind.   I'm sure they'll adjust it as the credit goes away if necessary.  Not sure if it can do 150K but it can certainly do a lot more than 50K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harley Lover said:

 

C2 based means the potential for a hybrid version, correct?

 

Aren't all platforms BEV/HEV capable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, rmc523 said:

This is interesting news, and makes some sense of some other moves like the VW Caddy one.

 

I wonder if it inches closer to MB Metris in dimension if it's no longer tied to the Euro sizing.

 

I sure hope it does. The TC could grow to Metris size and still be viable for its current market. Especially if different wheelbase & roof heights are offered.

 

That could also give Ford a possible AWD Minivan. That could be pretty popular with the #VanLife people.

Edited by NLPRacing
Added stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Boils down to a timing issue and Ford trying to be creative in dodging the chicken tax, which didn't work out for them. 

 

 

In the other thread with the Maverick, how much longer could the TC get? I thought the whole point of the TC was to replace the E-150 due to footprint issues when it came to CAFE...then again the E-150 wasn't really suited for I3 and I4 Ecoboost motors either. 

 

Maverick looks like it is a few inches longer than Transit Connect. This is not a big deal for the US but the current Transit Connect is already too long in Europe and Ford is losing sales to VW Caddy, Citroen Berlingo, and Renault Kangoo as a result. 

 

European market prefers a shorter but taller van like the original Transit Connect. Easier to park and maneuver in congested cities. For applications that require longer/higher load capacity in Europe, Ford has Transit Custom.

 

The issue with Transit Custom in the US is that like Mercedes Metris, it is in no man's land when it comes to GVWR. The US truck classification cutoff for Class 1 is 6,000 lbs. Transit Custom will land around 6,500 to 7,500 lbs depending on spec which means fleet buyers will treat it like a Class 2A van that it is - and Ford already sells a far more capable Class 2A van (Transit 150). There is basically no penalty for fleet buyers to buy Transit 150 and "abuse" it for lighter duty that is still too big for current Transit Connect.

 

The new US-centric Transit Connect will probably push right up to the limit of Class 1 which will still appeal to fleet buyers that has spec'd a Class 1 van. But it will be more capable than the current Transit Connect (5,400 lbs GVWR) without any running cost penalty.

 

Edited by bzcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I wonder if the passenger version of V758 was the stillborn CX758.

 

Think about it... 3 row seats on LWB body with optional AWD. Use P758 Maverick's regular doors instead of V758's sliding doors. Add cladding... and you have a bargain Explorer. But that's probably why CX758 got the axe... Ford doesn't need internal competition for Explorer. 

 

 

Edited by bzcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Boils down to a timing issue and Ford trying to be creative in dodging the chicken tax, which didn't work out for them. 

 

 

In the other thread with the Maverick, how much longer could the TC get? I thought the whole point of the TC was to replace the E-150 due to footprint issues when it came to CAFE...then again the E-150 wasn't really suited for I3 and I4 Ecoboost motors either. 

T 150 and T 250 replaced the lower E Series vans, TC is a step below that and fills a need for small delivery vans.

I see the T758/V758 project as a bit like next Gen T6 in that the star vehicle precedes the more mundane basic,

Bronco first, Ranger/Everest after and so it is with Maverick first, TC after.....it makes sense for North America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, akirby said:

 

TC instead of Transit??

 

2 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

T 150 and T 250 replaced the lower E Series vans, TC is a step below that and fills a need for small delivery vans.

 

Sigh...the E-150 was in the no mans land I was speaking about before:

2004 E150 212″ L 

2021 T-150  217" (smallest one)
2020 TC 174-190″ L

 

The TC filled in for the E150 in florist delivery and other places where an E-150 was overkill.  The Transit replacing the E-150/250 grew expediently larger...with the some versions of the T-250 growing an additional 30 inches over the older E-250.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

 

 

Sigh...the E-150 was in the no mans land I was speaking about before:

2004 E150 212″ L 

2021 T-150  217" (smallest one)
2020 TC 174-190″ L

 

The TC filled in for the E150 in florist delivery and other places where an E-150 was overkill.  The Transit replacing the E-150/250 grew expediently larger...with the some versions of the T-250 growing an additional 30 inches over the older E-250.  

 

If Ford ever needs to fill the middle and fight the Metris. They already have it covered if they so choose:

 

maxresdefault.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

 

So what else is going into Cautitlan or however you spell it? 50,000 MachEs/year is way under capacity. 

There was talk of a second vehicle on Mach E's platform, an affordable vehicle was all that I heard.

I think that the VW deal happened and Ford's plans for own design compact BEVs collapsed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the “affordable vehicle” was Maverick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, akirby said:

I thought the “affordable vehicle” was Maverick.

 

Who knows...I don't think anyone knows what that is supposed to be anymore.

It seems like its as murky as the BEV program at Avon Lake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×