2023 Ford Escape Spotted With New Front End

26 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

That includes me.  We bought our Bronco Sport back in April.  Outer Banks with the 1.5 L engine.  Every person who has been in my vehicle (even out-and-out car guys) express amazement when I tell them it has a three cylinder engine.  The balance shaft works.  Cruising at 60 mph is quiet and smooth.  People who say otherwise, even “professional testers” really don’t know what they’re talking about.  

It sounds like they got the NVH dialed in now. I had a 2020 Escape SE for a loaner when they first came out with the 1.5L Dragon and new-to-Escape 8spd auto. I drove it 68 miles while my '18 1.5L I-4 Escape was in for service. The '20 had an annoying, loud booming especially between 40-65mph because it seemed geared too tall and short-shifted. Power was surprisingly good though. 

On 10/28/2021 at 7:31 AM, akirby said:

I don’t think anything is wrong with the current front end but I agree this one looks better.

I'm guessing you probably like jelly beans then.

The new front end is a VAST IMPROVMENT.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

No sir. That engine has received mediocre or poor ratings in professional reviews of Escape. Just like Maverick, offering only 2.5L hybrid and 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo gasoline engines is the way to go for refreshed 2023 Escape in the U.S. market.

Ford is way behind demand for hybrids (Maverick and Escape). I don’t think Ford ditches the 1.5 - it gets great mileage and the NVH complaints seem to be way overblown. 

9 hours ago, JTL2017 said:

I predict that the screen size will be around 10 inches. Ford Authority has a new article indicating that the escape is getting a larger screen. As for the maverick, the design of the infotainment screen with the little cubby seems to be a easily  upgradable for its eventual refresh. 

I wonder if it's a case of the internal componentry for the platform not being ready yet for it to have been in Maverick's launch?

7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

No sir. That engine has received mediocre or poor ratings in professional reviews of Escape. Just like Maverick, offering only 2.5L hybrid and 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo gasoline engines is the way to go for refreshed 2023 Escape in the U.S. market.

The powertrain is nowhere near as bad as reviewers made it out to be.

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Maybe consider not listening to the “professional” reviewers for once, and start listening to people who actually live with the motor on a daily basis.  I find the motor has more than enough power and the NVH is fine for a base motor. If I had any complaints it is with the transmission programming.  That could use some improvement to maximize the engines potential. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

There's something about the 2023 Escape's look that to me, seems to be channeling a 1958 Volvo PV544, which itself was channeling a 1947 Mercury Eight. the dropdown front edge of the hood and the cutaway in the camo projects that vibe.

That's some deep digging, but I gotta say I agree,

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

In the case of front end styling for 4th gen Ford Escape (outside China and Taiwan), it's both.

147k buyers disagree so far this year.  Your continued negative postings that are contradicted by facts and/or other more qualified opinions are getting tiresome.  If you don’t like something just say you don’t like it.  Finding one piece of data that agrees with your opinion while ignoring all others to the contrary is a clear case of confirmation bias and/or trolling.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2021 at 9:17 AM, akirby said:

147k buyers disagree so far this year.  

Well over a million compact crossover buyers in the U.S. who chose something other than a Ford Escape do not. It's no surprise that Escape wasn't in the top 5 among most popular entries in that segment, that its market share within the segment declined for 10 consecutive quarters prior to a bump in Q2 2021, and most importantly, that Ford is doing a significant mid cycle refresh 3 years after the current gen Escape was first introduced.

• Like 1

Expectations for 2023 U.S. market Ford Escape refresh based on Fordauthority article in OP and Ford's marketing for related vehicles Bronco Sport and Maverick.

• Improved front end styling - done
  • Improved interior design and quality - done
  • Standard LED headlamps on all trims - very likely
  • Enhanced infotainment system capabilities - very likely
  • Powertrain lineup revised to 2.5L hybrid & PHEV and 2.0L turbo gasoline only - unknown 
  • Official reveal date by Ford - unknown

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Expectations for 2023 U.S. market Ford Escape refresh based on Fordauthority article in OP and Ford's marketing for related vehicles Bronco Sport and Maverick.

• Improved front end styling - done
  • Improved interior design and quality - done
  • Standard LED headlamps on all trims - very likely
  • Enhanced infotainment system capabilities - very likely
  • Powertrain lineup revised to 2.5L hybrid & PHEV and 2.0L turbo gasoline only - unknown 
  • Official reveal date by Ford - unknown

Having lived with a 2020 Escape Hybrid for 19 months, it seems most of the negatives are about the 1.5 3 cylinder and the interior. Common thread in all the reviews, especially the interior.

Now I have the premium package, but I do get it that the interior needs improvement. Door cards number one...improved materials and look including dashboard. Better quality carpeting on floor already fiuzzing up. Seats look could be improved with more premium look with better contrasting stitching and maybe quilted pattern. 

Add more content on SE on up like one touch power windows up and down , fog lights, auto dimming mirror, and outside mirror turn signal lights. Honda and Toyota offer this and it matters. 

The exterior is fine to me, but the refresh nose clips do look better. So that is plus. I have no problem with touch screen, but I get it that screen looks and size are competitive. 

Also add more trims like ST Red line with 2.3 L motor and Timberline also with orange stitching and skid plates for the soft campers. The Escape is an important volume seller to Ford dealers and deserves extra attention like Explorer. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Well over a million compact crossover buyers in the U.S. who chose something other than a Ford Escape do not. It's no surprise that Escape wasn't in the top 5 among most popular entries in that segment, that its market share within the segment declined for 10 consecutive quarters prior to a bump in Q2 2021, and most importantly, that Ford is doing a significant mid cycle refresh 3 years after the current gen Escape was first introduced.

Missed the point again.  If it was as bad as you and a few others think it is then they wouldn’t be selling 150k by year end.  It’s not terrible.  Improvements will help.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Add more content on SE on up like one touch power windows up and down , fog lights, auto dimming mirror, and outside mirror turn signal lights. Honda and Toyota offer this and it matters. 

Ford seems to be done putting the turn signals on the mirrors lately , Bronco,  Bronco Sport, and Maverick don’t even offer them even on the top trims and have been removed from the mid level trims of the Edge and Explorer over the past few years. 

Escape might hold on the upper lines as they are required safety equipment in other markets. The biggest addition the Escape needs is the 360 camera for this market, power folding are nice for when you park on the street.    

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, akirby said:

Improvements will help.

And they are coming for 2023 model year, that's what matters. For front end styling, even the camouflaged vehicle photo in the OP demonstrates a "VAST IMPROVEMENT" as CKNSLS said earlier.

Hopefully the additional product enhancement recommendations that FordBuyer mentioned in this topic will be part of the 2023 refresh too.

Summary of FordBuyer's recommendations/wish list in this thread topic for Ford Escape refresh. They are all great suggestions and should dramatically improve Escape's appeal among prospective compact crossover buyers.

• New trim line with eye popping, contrasting stitching throughout interior (examples. ST-Line and Timberline). Also, quilted pattern design option for seating.
  • 1.5 3 cylinder for fleet S only and hybrid standard on every trim line and 2.0 turbo optional on SE on up
  • Improved materials and design for interior, especially door cards, dashboard, and carpeting
  • Additional convenience features on SE and higher trims. Including one touch power windows up and down, fog lights, auto dimming mirror, and outside mirror turn signal lights.
  • Updated user interface and larger screen for infotainment system 

And a couple excellent suggestions from jasonj80.

• 360 degree panoramic rearview camera
  • power folding exterior mirrors

Edited by rperez817

12 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Ford seems to be done putting the turn signals on the mirrors lately , Bronco,  Bronco Sport, and Maverick don’t even offer them even on the top trims and have been removed from the mid level trims of the Edge and Explorer over the past few years. 

Escape might hold on the upper lines as they are required safety equipment in other markets. The biggest addition the Escape needs is the 360 camera for this market, power folding are nice for when you park on the street.    

Go figure as turn signal lights in outside mirror is for safety. Now fog lights I get it that Ford is probably going to follow the Koreans and lower the headlights to where fog lights used to be. But dang, cheap plastic inserts where fog lights go is ridiculous on a $34,000 vehicle. 

Now that rebates are minimal, Ford has extra money to play with and offer Toyota, Honda content on their most popular models. Most new vehicle buyers cross shop and Ford can't afford to come up short on content. I would have never bought an Escape if it wasn't for the hybrid. I would bet most hybrid sales are conquest like mine going from Subaru to Ford. I would have never picked the 1.5 L Escape over the competition. I doubt if I'm a minority here. 

So IMO Ford needs to drop the 1.5L for SE on up and follow Maverick playbook. In fact, 2014-2019 Escapes with 1.5 are seen as problematic at best. Now I know 2020 3 cylinder is different, but I wouldn't want to be the Guinea pig here once warranty is gone. A little engine all steroided up by a turbo is not for me. So Ford should drop this engine before hundreds of thousands are on the road. Ford will have its hands full dealing with previous generation Escape engine problems. Don't do the Focus playbook and stubbornly keep making something that is problematic at best. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Go figure as turn signal lights in outside mirror is for safety. Now fog lights I get it that Ford is probably going to follow the Koreans and lower the headlights to where fog lights used to be. But dang, cheap plastic inserts where fog lights go is ridiculous on a $34,000 vehicle. 

Now that rebates are minimal, Ford has extra money to play with and offer Toyota, Honda content on their most popular models. Most new vehicle buyers cross shop and Ford can't afford to come up short on content. I would have never bought an Escape if it wasn't for the hybrid. I would bet most hybrid sales are conquest like mine going from Subaru to Ford. I would have never picked the 1.5 L Escape over the competition. I doubt if I'm a minority here. 

So IMO Ford needs to drop the 1.5L for SE on up and follow Maverick playbook. In fact, 2014-2019 Escapes with 1.5 are seen as problematic at best. Now I know 2020 3 cylinder is different, but I wouldn't want to be the Guinea pig here once warranty is gone. A little engine all steroided up by a turbo is not for me. So Ford should drop this engine before hundreds of thousands are on the road. Ford will have its hands full dealing with previous generation Escape engine problems. Don't do the Focus playbook and stubbornly keep making something that is problematic at best. 

There is no evidence the 1.5 I-3 is problematic. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

There is no evidence the 1.5 I-3 is problematic. 

53 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

If it was it would impact Bronco Sport sales too and I don't buy its supposed to be tough BS argument on that.

I think FordBuyer is saying that Ford's 1.5L 3-cylinder turbo gasoline engine has the potential to be problematic based on Ford's past history with turbo gasoline engines of similar displacement, not that it has the same reliability issues as the older engines. He stated "2014-2019 Escapes with 1.5 are seen as problematic at best. Now I know 2020 3 cylinder is different"

As more reliability data comes in over the next few years for the 1.5L 3-cylinder turbo, we'll know for sure. For now, functionally speaking the engine is better suited to Bronco Sport because of that model's "rough and tumble" image.

• Like 1