2024 FORD EXPLORER SPIED WITH CHINESE COUNTERPART’S FEATURES

The NA Explorer Timberline front fascia, grille, etc is unique only to that trim level. Every other trim level shares the same fascia but has different grille inserts. Budget was limited as is. But the rear end and interior get all the updates since they all share the same parts.

7 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

The NA Explorer Timberline front fascia, grille, etc is unique only to that trim level. Every other trim level shares the same fascia but has different grille inserts. Budget was limited as is. But the rear end and interior get all the updates since they all share the same parts.

The engineering was done for the Chinese market, so what cost would have been associated this.  This is just phoning it in by Ford if this ends up being the case as far as I’m concerned.  

5 hours ago, tbone said:

The engineering was done for the Chinese market, so what cost would have been associated this.  This is just phoning it in by Ford if this ends up being the case as far as I’m concerned.  

Just look at the differences in the interiors on both products as one reason they would cost more, not to mention other market tuning for emissions or ride. 

5 hours ago, tbone said:

This is true but I don’t think the Chinese Explorer Timberline’s front end was attractive enough for NA. It’s a matter of taste and opinion of course.

If you really look at the NA and Chinese versions of the refreshed Explorer, while they look very similar they actually aren’t the same. Each has a different lower fascia design difference, grille inserts are different as well. The headlights are the same shape but the NA version has slightly different lighting elements inside vs the Chinese version.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tbone said:

Bold of you to assume everyone would prefer the Chinese version.

20 minutes ago, akirby said:

Bold of you to assume everyone would prefer the Chinese version.

I know, right.  I don’t usually champion anything from China, but considering most of the changes are tailored after the Chinese version, why stop with this.  Particularly when it is a solid change.  

5 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

This is true but I don’t think the Chinese Explorer Timberline’s front end was attractive enough for NA. It’s a matter of taste and opinion of course.

If you really look at the NA and Chinese versions of the refreshed Explorer, while they look very similar they actually aren’t the same. Each has a different lower fascia design difference, grille inserts are different as well. The headlights are the same shape but the NA version has slightly different lighting elements inside vs the Chinese version.

Looks are definitely subjective, I understand that, but I feel if you don’t make things look new it doesn’t give people incentive to buy them.  I’m not suggesting the current version looks bad, but I think it should be changed to give consumers a new look.  For comparison sake:

IMG_2772.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

4 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I think that the Chinese timberline is the best looking explorer available.

Of the refreshed models that I have seen, I agree.  I’m still waiting to see the finished ST model to pass final judgement.  

1 hour ago, akirby said:

See, that’s my point.  I prefer the current one.  Isn’t it just a couple of years old?

I think so, but you are releasing a refresh except the Timberline?   I understand other parts might change, but the front clip is the most noticeable.

10 hours ago, tbone said:

Looks are definitely subjective, I understand that, but I feel if you don’t make things look new it doesn’t give people incentive to buy them.  I’m not suggesting the current version looks bad, but I think it should be changed to give consumers a new look.  For comparison sake:

IMG_2772.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

Here's the thing, the new one is bolder, but it's just way too OTT. That doesn't tend to age well. If Ford really wants to give their explorer's a sportier and bolder look moving forward, I would prefer something like this (sans the mustang badge of course). That would make for an epic st front end or something.

IMG_20230722_214423.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

Here's the thing, the new one is bolder, but it's just way too OTT. That doesn't tend to age well. If Ford really wants to give their explorer's a sportier and bolder look moving forward, I would prefer something like this (sans the mustang badge of course). That would make for an epic st front end or something.

IMG_20230722_214423.jpg

That looks pretty good.  I am interested to see the final ST version.  I suppose it won’t deviate much from what we have seen so far.  

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

IMG_20230722_214423.jpg

That looks incredible. Ford seems a bit stuck in the early 2010s with its SUVs. A front end like this would be awesome without being too gimmicky. And I am certain it would attract a lottt more buyers. At least here in South GA where every girl I know in her mid 20s is obsessed with 'sporty' mid-sized SUVs.

5 hours ago, matt6 said:

That looks incredible. Ford seems a bit stuck in the early 2010s with its SUVs. A front end like this would be awesome without being too gimmicky. And I am certain it would attract a lottt more buyers. At least here in South GA where every girl I know in her mid 20s is obsessed with 'sporty' mid-sized SUVs.

If you keep looking at this you can see Dodge Durango in it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, escapeman said:

If you keep looking at this you can see Dodge Durango in it. 

Dude, explorer r with that front end, giving the explorer a proper V8, either the 5.0 or 5.2 to compete with the Durango 392 and hellcats. What a way to elevate the explorer's image if they went that route. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2023 at 1:17 PM, tbone said:

IMG_2772.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

I don't love that Chinese one.

I think we'll see some more changes to the refreshed Timberline than just slapping the new rear end on the current one, even if it doesn't follow all of the changes of the other trims.....otherwise, what would be the point in covering it up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I don't love that Chinese one.

I think we'll see some more changes to the refreshed Timberline than just slapping the new rear end on the current one, even if it doesn't follow all of the changes of the other trims.....otherwise, what would be the point in covering it up?

Good point.  Hopefully should see the final product soon.  As I said I don’t think the current version looks bad.  

On 7/23/2023 at 1:17 AM, tbone said:

IMG_2772.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

The refreshed Explorer Timberline for China looks more interesting for sure.

Edited by AM222

10 hours ago, joseodiaga4 said:

As such, the vehicle does not look new at all.  Only an enthusiast will know this is a 2024 by looking at the exterior, and IMO this model won’t move the sales needle much.  I find that disappointing considering they had an option that would have given it a noticeable visual change.  

5 hours ago, tbone said:

As such, the vehicle does not look new at all.  Only an enthusiast will know this is a 2024 by looking at the exterior, and IMO this model won’t move the sales needle much.  I find that disappointing considering they had an option that would have given it a noticeable visual change.  

The GT350/500 didn't suffer from having the same headlights as the 2015MY, even though the rest of the lineup got new front fascias. 

I'm guessing Ford has decided that the Timberline model doesn't need it since it has a distinctive front end from rest of the line prior to this. 

8 hours ago, tbone said:

Most buyers won’t know or care that it’s the same front end,  If they like it they’ll buy it.  You guys get too wrapped up on details that just don’t matter very much in the grand scheme of mass market vehicle sales.  

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The GT350/500 didn't suffer from having the same headlights as the 2015MY, even though the rest of the lineup got new front fascias. 

I'm guessing Ford has decided that the Timberline model doesn't need it since it has a distinctive front end from rest of the line prior to this. 

It’s a fair point, but I personally wouldn’t put those vehicles in the same category.   If I were a current owner of a Timberline, this update wouldn’t give me much incentive to go out a get a new one, unless maybe you are a high mileage driver and turn them over quickly. 

There are clearly two different camps on this forum who view midcycle refreshes, and in some cases new versions of existing models differently.  I just happen to be in the camp that thinks noticeable exterior changes matter.  I could very well be wrong on this one as the current gen F150 didn’t look substantially different from the outgoing model in 2021, and they still sell a ton of them.  I do feel the F150 is a unique animal though. 

2 hours ago, tbone said:

It’s a fair point, but I personally wouldn’t put those vehicles in the same category.   If I were a current owner of a Timberline, this update wouldn’t give me much incentive to go out a get a new one, unless maybe you are a high mileage driver and turn them over quickly. 

There are clearly two different camps on this forum who view midcycle refreshes, and in some cases new versions of existing models differently.  I just happen to be in the camp that thinks noticeable exterior changes matter.  I could very well be wrong on this one as the current gen F150 didn’t look substantially different from the outgoing model in 2021, and they still sell a ton of them.  I do feel the F150 is a unique animal though. 

But the current Timberline is only a couple years old so there won’t be many repeat buyers yet.  Maybe if it was 5 or 6 yrs old.

As enthusiasts we know and care about details FAR more than the average buyers.

• Like 1