2025 Mustang GTD Coming with 800+ HP and Rear Mounted Transaxle for $300K

6 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I'm guessing weight in the low 3,000 to high 2,000 mark, 0-60 in sub 3 seconds, top speed will probably be over 200 easily. 

As the article said, what that basically did was take the race car and slightly alter it to be a road car.

I’m wondering if this is between 3200 and 3600 lbs, less than Corvette just to piss off chevrolet…..

I think they will sell all 2,000 examples fast, plenty of people with deep pockets than missed out on GT will want this.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

take the race car and slightly alter it to be a road car

Those aren’t slight alterations.  Active suspension,, active aero and the engine are totally new (and illegal for racing).  Maybe the wide body as well.

This is genius from a marketing standpoint.  If they had just done another GT it wouldn’t have attracted all the current GT owners.  But every GT owner is a potential buyer for this.  

I think it will be very cool that you can watch the gt3/gt4 on the track and go buy an entry level ecoboost, mid level GT, top end Dark Horse or this supercar.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

I think they will sell all 2,000 examples fast, plenty of people with deep pockets than missed out on GT will want this.

Unless I missed it, I'm curious how long the production time frame will be to produce the 2,000 units. 

Edited by ice-capades

38 minutes ago, akirby said:

This is genius from a marketing standpoint.  If they had just done another GT it wouldn’t have attracted all the current GT owners.  But every GT owner is a potential buyer for this. 

I disagree. Many of the GT owners were repeat buyers, and when you are only producing 2000, it doesn’t really even matter because they will all sell out anyways. 

The GT is on another level, regardless of how good the mustang is. If anyone had the choice between this mustang and a GT, you’d be hard pressed finding anyone who would take the mustang.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I disagree. Many of the GT owners were repeat buyers, and when you are only producing 2000, it doesn’t really even matter because they will all sell out anyways. 

The GT is on another level, regardless of how good the mustang is. If anyone had the choice between this mustang and a GT, you’d be hard pressed finding anyone who would take the mustang.

It’s not either/or.  They’re not trading in GTs.  GT owners are most likely supercar collectors and if you’re a supercar collector and a Ford fan you’ll want one of these.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Strictly a guess - 300-400 per year.

That's what I'd expect although I'd think that with Multimatic's relationship with Ford and with the experience producing the Ford GT that Multimatic would have expanded their production capacity, especially considering that the Mustang GTD will be produced at Flat Rock and then transferred to the Multimatic facility for completion. In any event, I'm glad for the extra vehicle production at Flat Rock!

10 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

That's what I'd expect although I'd think that with Multimatic's relationship with Ford and with the experience producing the Ford GT that Multimatic would have expanded their production capacity, especially considering that the Mustang GTD will be produced at Flat Rock and then transferred to the Multimatic facility for completion. In any event, I'm glad for the extra vehicle production at Flat Rock!

But they’re also building Bronco DR and Mustang GT3 and GT4.   And I think only the body (in white) is coming from flat rock like the GT3 and GT4s.  But yeah any additional volume is great.

• Like 1

Since many here believed that Ford was going to be producing a mid-engine Mustang along the lines of these photoshops/C8, could the amount of development money that has been spent on this car led to the development of an actual mid-engine Mustang?  

I think people were hoping for a car that would compete with the C8. The C8 really is a coup d’etat in this segment, and I have a lot of respect for it.  I don’t believe for a second Chevy loses money on the C8, so I know it can be done profitably at a price point a lot more people can afford.  

But instead we got this Mustang variant, which is commendable, but doesn’t really move the needle for expanding the Mustang sub-brand IMO.  

IMG_3004.jpeg

IMG_3003.jpeg

If ford was never going to do a new GT, I would have liked to see a new Shelby Daytona instead of this. That would have really brought the wow factor. I don’t think anyone would be questioning the 300k price tag on that either. Of course there could be some issues with the Shelby name, but they could make it happen.

12 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Don't get me started...

You can't outrun physics, and the Mustang is a big heavy car even after some of the steel panels have been swapped for carbon fiber. And while half that weight on the drive wheels is an improvement, the Corvette and other mid engine cars have more. And given the difficulty even some very expert drivers had getting the GT500s horsepower to the ground, will another hundred horses really be an improvement.

Fastest Mustang ever, maybe the best... But still just a Mustang.

Im not quite sure you understand this car...or such revelations as pushrod suspension...I dont know about akirby ( hes one that would know ) but this thing , money aside, made my heart skip a beat....cannot wait until it gets tested, maybe that will shut some of the whiners up...especially if it somehow trumps the GT in a side by side.....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

try finding a GT for 300k......and my guess is some GT owners maybe lininbg up for this as a garage partner....

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

As the article said, what that basically did was take the race car and slightly alter it to be a road car.

I’m wondering if this is between 3200 and 3600 lbs, less than Corvette just to piss off chevrolet…..

The concept of the upcoming Mustang GTD/ GT3 is sort of like the S550 "Project Silver" GTE which got cancelled because Ford went with the mid-engine GT, right? 

Edited by AM222

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Somewhere it said the engine had been moved back behind the front axle to help achieve 50/50 wd.

13 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Don't get me started...

You can't outrun physics, and the Mustang is a big heavy car even after some of the steel panels have been swapped for carbon fiber. And while half that weight on the drive wheels is an improvement, the Corvette and other mid engine cars have more. And given the difficulty even some very expert drivers had getting the GT500s horsepower to the ground, will another hundred horses really be an improvement.

Fastest Mustang ever, maybe the best... But still just a Mustang.

saying this is still just a Mustang is basically saying a Porsche GT3 RS is just another Porsche...so theres your perspective.....

The Blue Oval’s most obvious competitor would be the current Porsche 911 GT3 RS, though a GT2 RS would be more appropriate if there were a new one. In all fairness to the GT3 RS, its base price of $241,000 means it is quite a lot cheaper than the Ford, but that doesn’t include equipment that puts it at parity with the ‘Stang. So if you want the lightweight Weissach Package and carbon ceramic brakes on the GT3 RS to match the lightweight carbon panels and ceramics of the Mustang GTD, it brings the Porsche right up to $296,000.

With the Porsche, you get one of the finest sports cars on earth that generates 900 pounds of downforce at 124 mph. A rear-mounted, 4.0-liter, 9,000-rpm flat-six makes 518 hp. Getting everything to the road is a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires measuring 275 millimeters wide at the front and 335mm at the rear with a choice of forged aluminum or magnesium wheels. All of it weighs just 3,268 pounds. 

Technical details of the Mustang GTD. Ford

While the Mustang GTD’s weight is unknown, it will very likely be much heavier than the Porsche. However, the Ford’s blown 5.2-liter V8 makes the flat-six look like a joke with its 800 horsepower. The Mustang has a better weight distribution overall with its 50/50 split, and it out-rubbers the 911 with 325mm wide front tires and 345mm rear tires. That said, it has the same choice of forged aluminum or magnesium wheels. I think it’s safe to say the Mustang will give the 911 real trouble anywhere the Porsche has the misfortune of meeting it, but the P-car might be a more precise instrument. Both delete their trunks in the name of cooling, which is a cute commonality....... That said, Im not surprized at some of the reaction...."Still just a Mustang "...I could have written that and put it in a sealed envelope yesterday...

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Deanh said:

saying this is still just a Mustang is basically saying a Porsche GT3 RS is just another Porsche...so theres your perspective.....

The difference here is Porsche is a brand name and mustang is a model name. 

Ford chose to call it a mustang, and so it will be treated like one, regardless of how many Porsches or Ferraris it beats. We all think highly of the mustang because we are Ford fans, but to many people out there, the mustang is just a POS that they could car less about. They believe it would never be on the level of those other super cars. True or not, that is the perception.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Ford chose to call it a mustang, and so it will be treated like one, regardless of how many Porsches or Ferraris it beats. We all think highly of the mustang because we are Ford fans, but to many people out there, the mustang is just a POS that they could car less about. They believe it would never be on the level of those other super cars. True or not, that is the perception.

ok...let me re-phrase...saying this is just a Mustang is the same as saying a GT3 RS is just another 911...that work better?...I understand the perception fully, its just ignorance...to me jumping to that scenario just displays a complete lack of knowledge at rather dramatic and obvious differences...that "Mustang" that some dont understand, and is whining about, has absolutely SERIOUS chops and underpinnings....its Mustang in name and Badge only.... 

Edited by Deanh

11 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Who gives a crap what they think?  They’ll sell all 2000 and the performance will speak for itself.  If they were trying to sell 2000 every year as a mainstream model then that might come into play.  Not here.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

If ford was never going to do a new GT, I would have liked to see a new Shelby Daytona instead of this. That would have really brought the wow factor. I don’t think anyone would be questioning the 300k price tag on that either. Of course there could be some issues with the Shelby name, but they could make it happen.

More people know mustang than Daytona.  The wow factor here is performance not the body shape.  

I think too many people are worried about their friends or people in forums saying it’s just a mustang.  To which I say again - who cares?  

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

More people know mustang than Daytona.  The wow factor here is performance not the body shape.  

I think too many people are worried about their friends or people in forums saying it’s just a mustang.  To which I say again - who cares?  

I think Im more jacked about this than I was the GT, super super exotic but recognizable....regardless there will be complaints , specifically because of that fact...theres always going to be complaints regardless, I recall the "uproar" regarding the GT not having this engine....and now we have the engine with a different top hat, man, I can only imagine someone with the whip to have these two legends side by side in the Garage...ba$tards!...to which I say...but how is it off road ?....lol...

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Deanh said:

ok...let me re-phrase...saying this is just a Mustang is the same as saying a GT3 RS is just another 911...that work better?...I understand the perception fully, its just ignorance...to me jumping to that scenario just displays a complete lack of knowledge at rather dramatic and obvious differences...that "Mustang" that some dont understand, and is whining about, has absolutely SERIOUS chops and underpinnings....its Mustang in name and Badge only.... 

I am in 100% agreement with you. I have no doubt that it will beat the majority of super cars out there. 

I think the branding is the issue here. Ford used mustang on the mach e because they thought it would improve its image. I think it does the opposite here. If this car can do what ford says it can do, then it deserves a more prestigious name than mustang. 

Think of it this way. Which name do you think other companies would use for their top of the line sports car?

Audi - TT or R8

Toyota - 86 or Supra

chevrolet - Camaro or corvette

dodge - challenger or viper

Honestly, I don’t really care either way, I’m just bored and here for the discussion ?. It’s a cool car for sure, I just think it could have been so much cooler as something else.

Edited by T-dubz

11 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I am in 100% agreement with you. I have no doubt that it will beat the majority of super cars out there. 

I think the branding is the issue here. Ford used mustang on the mach e because they thought it would improve its image. I think it does the opposite here. If this car can do what ford says it can do, then it deserves a more prestigious name than mustang. 

Think of it this way. Which name do you think other companies would use for their top of the line sports car?

Audi - TT or R8

Toyota - 86 or Supra

chevrolet - Camaro or corvette

dodge - challenger or viper

Honestly, I don’t really care either way, I’m just bored and here for the discussion ?. It’s a cool car for sure, I just think it could have been so much cooler as something else.

Porsche has 2 supercars in the Carerra GT and 918 Spyder.  That didn’t stop them from doing a 911 GT3 RS which is the closest analogy to the GTD.