North American Edge to be replaced by EV

Ford changes it’s plans like underpants, if you don’t like the current plan, just wait six months….

The Ford plan is now but that could change completely in the future, just look how the VW alliance MEB EV Explorer is changing in Europe, Ford supplying own batteries, control software and now motors and drives. If they keep getting rid of VW parts, this vehicle will become all Ford.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

I just got a 2023 Mark E GT extended range all wheel drive about two weeks ago for a pilot program for my employer. The circumstances are unusual because I can’t charge it at home, which hamstrings the vehicle to a certain extent.  But what I found so far is the public charging infrastructure in my area is completely inadequate for this vehicle under these circumstances.  I recognize this is likely not how a personal EV would be utilized, but it does underscore the necessity for a robust public charging infrastructure being in place to help facilitate the transition.  Not all people will be able to charge at home.  

From a demand perspective, my friend, who is a sales manager at a Ford dealership, has told me that there is very little interest in EVs at their dealership. Now I understand this only one dealership, but I am starting to get concerned about Ford’s plans for EVs. I’m really feeling like they need to pump the brakes on their transition as I truly don’t believe it is going to happened on a broad scale nearly as fast as EV proponents think it will.  Now there will soon be one less ICE vehicle to carry the water until the natural transition occurs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

If the edge does ev, there will be too much overlap with the mach-e imo. 

Ford is giving Mach E every chance to thrive but if sales numbers don‘t improve, Ford May have to consider alternatives. There’s over 10,000 Mach Es currently at dealerships around the country, so fingers crossed that August sales will improve.

Edited by jpd80

9 hours ago, tbone said:

I just got a 2023 Mark E GT extended range all wheel drive about two weeks ago for a pilot program for my employer. The circumstances are unusual because I can’t charge it at home, which hamstrings the vehicle to a certain extent.  But what I found so far is the public charging infrastructure in my area is completely inadequate for this vehicle under these circumstances.  I recognize this is likely not how a personal EV would be utilized, but it does underscore the necessity for a robust public charging infrastructure being in place to help facilitate the transition.  Not all people will be able to charge at home.  

From a demand perspective, my friend, who is a sales manager at a Ford dealership, has told me that there is very little interest in EVs at their dealership. Now I understand this only one dealership, but I am starting to get concerned about Ford’s plans for EVs. I’m really feeling like they need to pump the brakes on their transition as I truly don’t believe it is going to happened on a broad scale nearly as fast as EV proponents think it will.  Now there will soon be one less ICE vehicle to carry the water until the natural transition occurs.  

I know the US Government is pushing building more charging points on highways but I haven't seen a timeline for when they expect this to be completed. 

I live in an area with a pretty good EV penetration-decent amount of Telsas and even Mach Es I see every day. Charging areas are multiplying at different places to meet the needs of it. If you live in an area with low population density or other economic issues, I can see this being a problem.  

The other thing is about adoption rates-Short term (3-4 years) Ford is talking about adding 2-3 more EVs-the 3 row Crossover that I think this is getting confused with along with the Lincoln version and the T3 Pickup. Nothing else has been confirmed as of yet. I think Ford will be lucky to see the Mach E, the 3 row Crossover and T3 make up 15-20% of total NA sales in five years from now.

They can still serve the ICE market for another 10 years or so with current products that are updated, but as time goes on CAFE is going to force more EVs into the market in 7 years or so. 

Biggest issue with selling more EVs is pricing and charging, which hopefully will be better by 2030, due to battery making capacity and increased market share/government funding for charging stations. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sullynd said:

I bet they’re being too literal - as someone who went from and Edge to a Mach-E, I could see them arguing it is the replacement, even if not an exact one. 

6 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

If the edge does ev, there will be too much overlap with the mach-e imo. 

Well well well....

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ford is giving Mach E every chance to thrive but if sales numbers don‘t improve, Ford May have to consider alternatives. There’s over 10,000 Mach Es currently at dealerships around the country, so fingers crossed that August sales will improve.

So does this mean the second gen mach-e may be axed in favor of an electric edge if sales don't improve? I feel like that would be a mistake. Supposedly, the second gen will have a coupe and a normal body style. Maybe the coupe is essentially the same shape as the current swoopy mach-e, and the normal body style will be positioned as more of an edge replacement with a more upright and roomy shape. 

6 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

So does this mean the second gen mach-e may be axed in favor of an electric edge if sales don't improve? I feel like that would be a mistake. Supposedly, the second gen will have a coupe and a normal body style. Maybe the coupe is essentially the same shape as the current swoopy mach-e, and the normal body style will be positioned as more of an edge replacement with a more upright and roomy shape. 

Ford has ramped up Mach E production, there’s over 10,000 vehicles available nationwide at dealerships.

If sales don’t start ramping up soon, then that will be a big problem for Ford, especially when it’s wanting

$1 million upgrades to dealerships to sell the unsellable…..

For Ford’s sake, I’m hoping that there’s a good increase in Mach E sales in August, we should find out in a couple of days…

Edited by jpd80

39 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Ford has ramped up Mach E production, there’s over 10,000 vehicles available nationwide at dealerships.

If sales don’t start ramping up soon, then that will be a big problem for Ford, especially when it’s wanting

$1 million upgrades to dealerships to sell the unsellable…..

For Ford’s sake, I’m hoping that there’s a good increase in Mach E sales in August, we should find out in a couple of days…

Let's hope that's the case. From what I'm seeing on the forums, the biggest draw back to the mach-e is the fact that it's a performance oriented product with compromised performance. Initial acceleration is great, but at higher speeds, and during sustained intense driving, it doesn't fair well compared to some of the performance EVs from brands like Kia. 

19 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Let's hope that's the case. From what I'm seeing on the forums, the biggest draw back to the mach-e is the fact that it's a performance oriented product with compromised performance. Initial acceleration is great, but at higher speeds, and during sustained intense driving, it doesn't fair well compared to some of the performance EVs from brands like Kia. 

It was a rescue plan for a rather non-descript off course E-Max that should have died and been replaced by a proper BEV Escape and Focus duo that should have been paid for by Ford Europe but I digress..

Fortunately, even with the faults you mentioned, Ford ended up with a vehicle that was a close match for Tesla Y(closer than it should be LOL) and so I hope that Ford has learned a ton from this regarding what customers actually want (Ford’s biggest problem is not knowing this) instead of building what it wants (easiest for Ford). Outside of Lightning, Ford is really clueless to what types of vehicles it’s BEV buyers really want…..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Outside of Lightning, Ford is really clueless to what types of vehicles it’s BEV buyers really want…..

That's correct jpd80. With the separation of Ford's BEV operations into Model e division, and Jim Farley's commitment to an order-based system with inventory levels at 50-60 days, it's very sad that Ford can't seem to figure out this very fundamental aspect of automaking in the 21st century.

9 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

That's correct jpd80. With the separation of Ford's BEV operations into Model e division, and Jim Farley's commitment to an order-based system with inventory levels at 50-60 days, it's very sad that Ford can't seem to figure out this very fundamental aspect of automaking in the 21st century.

See, the problem is more complex than just know what types of vehicles EV buyers want, Ford is also trapped with protecting Ford Blue ICE based products to help pay for those new EVs. So yeah, I think Ford keeps yo yoing between additional product vs replacing existing product - they don’t know what to do because BEVs aren’t being accepted s quickly as Ford initially thought……

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

See, the problem is more complex than just know what types of vehicles EV buyers want, Ford is also trapped with protecting Ford Blue ICE based products to help pay for those new EVs. So yeah, I think Ford keeps yo yoing between additional product vs replacing existing product - they don’t know what to do because BEVs aren’t being accepted s quickly as Ford initially thought……

Yeah, Farley said there won't be an EV mustang coupe, but a hybrid instead, at least for the relatively near future. I have to agree that hybrids are better for most people right now. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Yeah, Farley said there won't be an EV mustang coupe, but a hybrid instead, at least for the relatively near future. I have to agree that hybrids are better for most people right now. 

I was waiting for when Ford would stop going all out on BEVs and swing back towards hybrids……this was never an either/or decision

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

Yeah, Farley said there won't be an EV mustang coupe, but a hybrid instead, at least for the relatively near future.  

That was a surprising and worrisome statement last week from Farley. Upcoming all electric pony cars from Stellantis and GM will render what Farley described as a "partially electrified Mustang Coupe" uncompetitive and obsolete.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

That was a surprising and worrisome statement last week from Farley. Upcoming all electric pony cars from Stellantis and GM will render what Farley described as a "partially electrified Mustang Coupe" uncompetitive and obsolete.

Hard to say, EV Camaros and challengers may offer quicker 0-60 runs than a hybrid mustang. But they're gonna weigh more, almost certainly handle worse, and won't have that emotional connection Farley is talking about. Hybrids may be the most environmentally friendly choice as well, reduced emissions over ICE, without requiring those massive 100 KWH battery packs which are known to be very bad for the environment when it comes to sourcing and creation. A solid balance all around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Not to mention hybrids are often lower in price than EVs, broadening their appeal. The key to environment sustainable may come in the form of getting everyone to buy a 40 grand hybrid instead of a 60 grand EV. EVs are solid, but they have a high barrier to entry, which is preventing many consumers from adopting more environmentally efficient vehicles. 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2023 at 9:42 PM, jpd80 said:

Ford changes it’s plans like underpants, if you don’t like the current plan, just wait six months….

The Ford plan is now but that could change completely in the future, just look how the VW alliance MEB EV Explorer is changing in Europe, Ford supplying own batteries, control software and now motors and drives. If they keep getting rid of VW parts, this vehicle will become all Ford.

You couldn’t be more correct and it’s quite frustrating. 

17 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The automakers and politicians were the only ones who thought the transition to evs would be quick. I think the rest of us knew it would take quite a bit longer.

I still think EVs are in their infancy. New battery technologies are only a few years away which could drastically change EVs. Knowing that people keep their vehicles between 8-12 years, why would I buy now? 300 mile range with 30 minute charges today or wait a few years and get twice the range with half the charge time? You don’t have to worry about that with ICE vehicles. They’ve been getting roughly the same mpg my entire life and of course the time to fill up hasn’t changed either.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

The automakers and politicians were the only ones who thought the transition to evs would be quick. I think the rest of us knew it would take quite a bit longer.

Automakers didn’t necessarily think that either but they were seeing European countries preparing to ban ICE vehicles and some states here plus the popularity of Tesla.  It would have been foolish to ignore BEVs.  The important thing is Ford hasn’t burned any ICE bridges and can adjust to the actual market as this thing plays out.

• Like 3