Escape, Edge, TC to be Killed

9 hours ago, twintornados said:

Let me know when the hybrid FWD Bronco Sport shows up

You didn’t say hybrid but I guess you were implying that it used the same styling and powertrains as Maverick.  I think if they kill Escape then a Bronco sport hybrid is a no brainer.  If they need more volume they can make a longer wheelbase version with either BS or Maverick top hat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, akirby said:

You didn’t say hybrid but I guess you were implying that it used the same styling and powertrains as Maverick.  I think if they kill Escape then a Bronco sport hybrid is a no brainer.  If they need more volume they can make a longer wheelbase version with either BS or Maverick top hat.

I have to assume that, even if the Escape had continued, a hybrid version of the BS is inevitable.  It’s certainly easier to create a hybrid BS than an SUV Maverick.  I don’t know how you’d differentiate the BS from a Maverick SUV, and don’t think the Mav would necessarily be more “upscale”.  

36 minutes ago, sullynd said:

I don’t know how you’d differentiate the BS from a Maverick SUV

Same way you differentiate BS from everything else.  Mav SUV would be longer and more vanilla truck styling.  But a long wheelbase BS with fwd hybrid options still makes more sense to me.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2023 at 7:12 PM, jpd80 said:

Ford is still smarting from Argo AI going broke

Most definitely. Ford gave up on Argo AI at the worst possible time. In mid 2022, Ford became the first company in the world to test SAE Level 4 robotaxi service without safety drivers in 2 U.S. cities simultaneously. Then a few months later, Argo AI was shuttered. Ford effectively handed a chunk of the fast-growing AV market to Waymo and GM Cruise.

Also, Ford used Escape for its robotaxis. Maybe Escape would have a longer life if Argo AI didn't get the axe last year.

fe0b4fe6-3f82-432f-9d55-3cd31db52717-For

On 9/9/2023 at 8:43 PM, DeluxeStang said:

I don't know a single person who would get in a car without a human driver

Waymo's robotaxi service in Metro Phoenix, called Waymo One, provided over 10,000 paid trips a week to the public (not including Waymo or Alphabet employees) in fully autonomous vehicles with no human driver onboard as of May 2023. The service has since expanded to San Francisco, and Waymo plans to add LA and Austin, Texas as service areas too, where thousands of people have signed up for Waymo's waitlist to use the service. Waymo One is expected to grow its customer base 10x by summer 2024. Ride-Hailing App - Make the Most of Your Drive - Waymo One

And as mentioned earlier, a lot of people willingly participated in the tests that Ford through Argo AI did of its own robotaxi service in Miami and Austin without a human driver onboard until last year, when Ford made the extremely shortsighted decision to terminate Argo AI.

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Most definitely. Ford gave up on Argo AI at the worst possible time. In mid 2022, Ford became the first company in the world to test SAE Level 4 robotaxi service without safety drivers in 2 U.S. cities simultaneously. Then a few months later, Argo AI was shuttered. Ford effectively handed a chunk of the fast-growing AV market to Waymo and GM Cruise.

Also, Ford used Escape for its robotaxis. Maybe Escape would have a longer life if Argo AI didn't get the axe last year.

The reason that Ford (and VW) shuttered Argo AI was that there was zero interest from investors,

without that investment, neither of the two partners was interested in investing their own cash into 

this venture. So while Level 4 may have a bright future, Ford had zero interest of persisting with Argo AI.

So while it has its own second internal company, that development program is now much longer range

and most likely combined with future BEVs. So yeah, Ford is definitely in no rush with autonomous vehicles.

47 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

My wife wants to test drive an Edge, Escape, and Corsair.  She refuses to pay for a Nautilus, so it’s off the list.  Obviously, she has no interest in the TC. 

If she’s testing a Corsair have her test a Nautilus just for the heck of it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

I think she would really like the Nautilus.  I don’t know if I can talk her into it, though. 

I understand.  My wife is also a tightwad  very frugal.  Except when it comes to her vehicle.  Corsair has almost everything now that Nautilus has except for cargo space.  It’s a tiny bit wider.  So if cargo space isn’t a big issue Corsair might be a good fit.  I really like the Revel audio system and the new widescreen infotainment with sync 4 is fantastic.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Ford currently has a very competitive entry in the 2-row crossover segment. Not only is it one of the best products in the history of Ford Motor Company, but it also has a very bright future.

2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-e4x-02-16250665

the MACH E isnt competitive in the slightest unless you consider losing money, stagnant sales, necessary subsidization, sitting inventory and costly flooring as beneficial to a manufacturer.....you BEV cult members just dont get it do you?

26 minutes ago, ford5 said:

Like many, I'm also waiting for an Edge replacement.  We want something with style and comfort that doesn't look like a show box on wheels.

hope for a hybrid....because this BEV BS right now is a company killer.....classic case of too much too soon with a dash of kneejerk...

44 minutes ago, Deanh said:

hope for a hybrid....because this BEV BS right now is a company killer.....classic case of too much too soon with a dash of kneejerk...

Stop overreacting.  BEVs are here to stay.  You’re just seeing the results of big price increases.  Adoption will be slower than some predicted but it will happen and Ford needs to be prepared for whatever the market brings.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

Stop overreacting.  BEVs are here to stay.  You’re just seeing the results of big price increases.  Adoption will be slower than some predicted but it will happen and Ford needs to be prepared for whatever the market brings.

not over reacting in the slightest, its a reality...right NOW they are an issue, and a major one, even Farley has fessed the mis-judgement...I doubt they will remain that way, but right now absolutely and will remain that way for some time, the predictions and timeframes are insanely innacurate...and no...its not about price increases...Ford has literally LOWERED the MSRPs to counter lackluster sales and stagnating inventories....AND pissed a lot of people off that right now think they overspent when their neighbor bought the same vehicle 10k cheaper...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Deanh said:

not over reacting in the slightest, its a reality...right NOW they are an issue, and a major one, even Farley has fessed the mis-judgement...I doubt they will remain that way, but right now absolutely and will remain that way for some time, the predictions and timeframes are insanely innacurate...and no...its not about price increases...Ford has literally LOWERED the MSRPs to counter lackluster sales and stagnating inventories....AND pissed a lot of people off that right now think they overspent when their neighbor bought the same vehicle 10k cheaper...

They only lowered the prices after huge increases.  It’s absolutely about pricing.

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

They only lowered the prices after huge increases.  It’s absolutely about pricing.

lol...nothing like an ever moving target , makes you all warm and cosy.....and no, some BEVs did not get increased pricing before the drops....I think Ford got a tad egotistical pricing them initially based on hype and ultimately realized their error...not helped at all by Elon dropping his draws and basically forcing other manufacturers hands....bizarre for sure

15 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Ford currently has a very competitive entry in the 2-row crossover segment. Not only is it one of the best products in the history of Ford Motor Company, but it also has a very bright future.

2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-e4x-02-16250665

Please stop.  Mach E is great, but it doesn't work for everyone despite what you say.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Please stop.  Mach E is great, but it doesn't work for everyone despite what you say.

its a cult I swear...like attempting to have a discussion/ conversation with a raging purple haired feminist named Karen....my advice...try and avoid it....that said I am NOT ( although it ,may seem that way ) anti BEV, Im just annoyed at how miserably its performed once the gleam fell off and how its pretty hard to make a business case for it right now, will its time come...I would have to say yes, but Ford , amoungst others made a huge mistake going all in so fast...slow and steady should have been the slogan...

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Deanh said:

lol...nothing like an ever moving target , makes you all warm and cosy.....and no, some BEVs did not get increased pricing before the drops....I think Ford got a tad egotistical pricing them initially based on hype and ultimately realized their error...not helped at all by Elon dropping his draws and basically forcing other manufacturers hands....bizarre for sure

They raised the Lightning pro from $41k to $61k.  Not rocket science.  It’s still $51K.  

20 minutes ago, akirby said:

They raised the Lightning pro from $41k to $61k.  Not rocket science.  It’s still $51K.  

and literally then didnt make any....youre talking about the PRO...all we could get were the 70- 80k and 100k plus models...they did NOT go up...I think every manufacturer came out with HUGELY speculative base pricing and then woke up out of their wet dreams....an "uh oh" moment...keep in mind Broncos have also ( just as an example ) 7 -10 k as well since release...

Edited by Deanh