Ranger getting PHEV 2.3L

7 minutes ago, Hugh said:

Easy mate, don't beat yourself up over it. It's not your fault.

lol...went home in April...driving was an adjustment for sure....jumped in the wrong side of the car to drive a few times...

Edited by Deanh
  • Haha 1

Can't wait to learn more about the Ranger Hybrid. I've been reading rumors about it for a couple years now. I'm hoping the Pro Power Onboard will be as robust as it is in the F-150. Pro Power Onboard is a killer feature. Ford really nailed it with that.

I plan on installing a whole house transfer switch so that the Ranger can be our backup when the grid goes down. I hope I am wrong, but I think the USA and much of the world will be living with a less stable grid in the future as renewables supply a larger and larger portion of the power due to the intermittent nature of renewable power.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texasota said:

I hope I am wrong, but I think the USA and much of the world will be living with a less stable grid in the future as renewables supply a larger and larger portion of the power due to the intermittent nature of renewable power.

Renewables produce lots of power, but the issue is storage of that power for future use. There are plenty of articles out there about solar producing too much power for the grid and having to be shut off because of that.

Lots of different ways of storing the power, just a matter of spending the money or finding the most efficient/cost efficient way of doing it. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Texasota said:

Can't wait to learn more about the Ranger Hybrid. I've been reading rumors about it for a couple years now. I'm hoping the Pro Power Onboard will be as robust as it is in the F-150. Pro Power Onboard is a killer feature. Ford really nailed it with that.

I plan on installing a whole house transfer switch so that the Ranger can be our backup when the grid goes down. I hope I am wrong, but I think the USA and much of the world will be living with a less stable grid in the future as renewables supply a larger and larger portion of the power due to the intermittent nature of renewable power.

The F-150 Hybrid Pro Power Onboard rated at 7.2 kW would indeed be a great backup during power outages.  I could power everything I “need” in our house except the central air conditioner.  I rely on portable generator now but it’s a hassle; though way better than no power at all.  If we keep having power outages, I’m thinking of adding a mini-split in bedroom so we could stay cool during extended outages.  A Hybrid PPO should be able to power a small mini split easily.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Renewables produce lots of power, but the issue is storage of that power for future use. There are plenty of articles out there about solar producing too much power for the grid and having to be shut off because of that.

Lots of different ways of storing the power, just a matter of spending the money or finding the most efficient/cost efficient way of doing it. 

any new construction here in California has mandated Solar ( and obviously here in So Cal it works ) ...so yes...eventually I would say production COULD possibly exceed demand, in which case some sort of storage would be a necessity to counter waste.....

4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

The "best of all worlds" when it comes to Ford Ranger would be Ranger BEV (Lightning?). Hopefully Ford, whether in Australia or elsewhere, will introduce that product soon.

A BEV Ranger built with today’s battery technology won’t be the “the best of all worlds”. It might be a great solution for some use cases but it would be impractical and infuriating for me when we tow our boat from southern Minnesota to northern Minnesota. A Ranger PHEV would be “the best of both worlds” for my needs (good towing capability for long distances and good EV capability for my local city driving) and PPO is the icing on the cake.

When solid state batteries become available in trucks, then that will significantly improve their capabilities but that is several years away.

On 9/14/2023 at 7:11 PM, ausrutherford said:

I'd take the life of an Aussie...except for crocs, spiders, and, of course, that Vegemite... 

image.png.cc13617e79b2f113974a51804fa461e8.png

Speaking of spiders, there are apparently spiders out there that they jokingly call wall kittens or something. These dinner plate sized spiders that can apparently get across the room in a few seconds. My back gets itchy just thinking about it. 

Originally, the current Mustang was supposed to get the 2.3 EB hybrid engine, or was that PHEV?

Now it seems that hybrid gasoline engine might be an alternative to the diesels available in global Ranger and Everest.

I sure hope so because I can see a lot of diesel buyers wanting to try gasoline hybrid in the coming years simply because it may suit the actual use of a lot of Ranger pickups sold in places like Australia where city driving and mixed highway use might actually favour hybrids..

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Since it was originally intended to premier in the Mustang, maybe it’s now intended for T6

as a powertrain that gets shared across the group thereby amortising  costs.

Ford stated that about 10% of buyers choose Hybrid F-150, and I would guess many of those do so due to higher-capacity Pro Power Onboard, not just fuel economy.  By comparison, Ford stated just over 50% of Maverick buyers choose Hybrid over EcoBoost, and PPO isn’t a deciding differentiation.

I may be wrong on this, but still think that if you want potential buyers to select your hybrid vehicles, fuel economy ratings (both EPA and reported real world testing) must be significantly higher than the standard ICE option, or else the Hybrid will have to offer a unique feature like PPO; and those probably affect sales to a lesser degree.

The Mustang, a performance oriented car, seems a very different vehicle to me than T6, which I view much like a larger brother to Maverick.  For that reason, a turbo 2.3L hybrid makes more sense to me for a Mustang, but not for a Ranger.  Whatever powertrain Ford comes up with for Ranger hybrid, I hope it targets much higher fuel economy versus performance, much like they did with Maverick.  I know the investment  cost would be higher, but Ford needs a great hybrid system for RWD vehicles, and maybe Ranger could be a good test vehicle.  I personally would like to see a larger-displacement Atkinson engine and new transmission, perhaps an electrified DCT with at least 100 kW electric motor, to achieve fuel economy improvements proportional to Maverick’s size.