Sept '23 -Sales Numbers

Ford’s Q3 EV sales were up 14.8 percent on best ever sales of 20,962 vehicles. Much of this gain came on

strong Mustang Mach-E sales, up 42.5 percent for the quarter and best since its debut in 2021. In the

month of September, Mach-E sales achieved sales of 5,872, a new record and a year-over-year gain of 153

percent for the month.

hmmmmm

Ford's sales reports are always presented in a way to highlight the positive results which is understandable. However, it's important to realize that in comparisons to the previous corresponding periods (Quarterly and Year-to-Date) you have to consider that the current supply chain issues are much less an issue now overall, although still an issue for certain vehicle lines. 

While Ford's numbers always paint a positive picture, looking at the numbers based on plant production, shows unimpressive production numbers as related to plant capacity. Looking at total sales for directly related models, produced at different plants, the numbers are less impressive. 

And to remember back a few decades when Ford had 6 out of the 10 best-selling vehicles! How times have changed!   

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

And to remember back a few decades when Ford had 6 out of the 10 best-selling vehicles! How times have changed!   

Just ask GM about chasing number one sales numbers and how that worked out for them.

Not to mention the competitive landscape is much tougher these days. 

Also given that interest rates are double what they are from almost two years ago for car loans, not losing sales is an accomplishment. 

Edited by silvrsvt

18 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Just ask GM about chasing number one sales numbers and how that worked out for them.

WAY more competitive vehicles nowadays including the Koreans.

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

hmmmmm

As expected, the impact of CSAP capacity expansion earlier in 2023 is evident in Mustang Mach-E sales resuming rapid growth last month. In Q3 2023, Mach-E outsold regular Mustang by 50%. By comparison, 1 year prior Mach-E and regular Mustang sales numbers were almost the same.

In Q4, similar trends should apply to F-150 Lightning, per Ford's statement in the sales release.

F-150 Lightning is expected to produce sales increases in Q4, as capacity actions at the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center are realized

Edited by rperez817
Q3, not September (thanks Rick73!)

19 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

As expected, the impact of CSAP capacity expansion earlier in 2023 is evident in Mustang Mach-E sales resuming rapid growth last month. In September 2023, Mach-E outsold regular Mustang by 50%. By comparison, 1 year prior Mach-E and regular Mustang sales numbers were almost the same.

my Hmmmm comment was about all the sky is falling posts about the Mach E sales numbers. 

11 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

What is the deal with the Explorer and Aviator sales being down so much? Was the plant closed or something?

Maybe Ford is saving the sales for future since they plan to build the Explorer unchanged until 2035 ?

I have no idea the real reason but wasn't there some parts shortage so they can't ship? And a stop sale back in July or August?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I have no idea the real reason but wasn't there some parts shortage so they can't ship? And a stop sale back in July or August?

That's correct bzcat. In August, Ford experienced both a stop sale due to the camera recall and a separate parts shortage involving wiring harnesses. The impact of those 2 issues apparently extended into September. Stop Build Issued For Certain 2023 Ford Explorer SUVs (fordauthority.com)

40 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

That's correct bzcat. In August, Ford experienced both a stop sale due to the camera recall and a separate parts shortage involving wiring harnesses. The impact of those 2 issues apparently extended into September. Stop Build Issued For Certain 2023 Ford Explorer SUVs (fordauthority.com)

On top of that, isn't the UAW striking at that plant too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

WAY more competitive vehicles nowadays including the Koreans.

Also Ford has more choices like Maverick in addition to Ranger and Bronco Sport in addition to Escape and Bronco in addition to Explorer so outside F series it’s not as likely for one model to dominate sales.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Also given that interest rates are double what they are from almost two years ago for car loans, not losing sales is an accomplishment. 

Agreed. However, Ford does little to encourage owner loyalty. They're quick to quote conquest sales but could care less about retaining Ford customers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

As expected, the impact of CSAP capacity expansion earlier in 2023 is evident in Mustang Mach-E sales resuming rapid growth last month. In September 2023, Mach-E outsold regular Mustang by 50%. By comparison, 1 year prior Mach-E and regular Mustang sales numbers were almost the same.

In Q4, similar trends should apply to F-150 Lightning, per Ford's statement in the sales release.

Comparing Mustang sales vs. Mustang Mach-E sales rates is comparing apples vs. oranges as they're totally different vehicles appealing to different customers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

Ford does little to encourage owner loyalty. They're quick to quote conquest sales but could care less about retaining Ford customers. 

37 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

And yet Ford leads the industry in brand loyalty.

Interestingly, Ford does much better in owner loyalty (they've been either the #1 or #2 brand for many years) than in conquesting customers from other brands (where they are the lowest among all brands). 

image.thumb.png.0cb223850430a791fa8ae4bbfd9578f4.png

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Where are the September numbers?  I see 3rd quarter posted but not September — must not be seeing link.

Ford Authority has one report showing Mustang outsold Mach-E during month of September, but I’d prefer official data.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

Where are the September numbers?  I see 3rd quarter posted but not September — must not be seeing link.

My fault! Thanks for catching that Rick73, you are correct. I meant to say 3rd quarter in that post but wrote September 2023. I've edited that post accordingly.

1 hour ago, Rick73 said:

Ford Authority has one report showing Mustang outsold Mach-E during month of September, but I’d prefer official data.

July and August combined were around 9k.

• Thanks 1

Mach E’s also have quite a bit of money on the hood too. Every single one of the 11 on my local dealers lot are discounted anywhere between 6-12k. They have GT’s for sale for 53k.

Also, the edge, which is 500 years old nearly doubled the Mach e’s sales.

Edited by T-dubz

26 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Mach E’s also have quite a bit of money on the hood too. Every single one of the 11 on my local dealers lot are discounted anywhere between 6-12k. They have GT’s for sale for 53k.

Also, the edge, which is 500 years old nearly doubled the Mach e’s sales.

I’m only seeing $4k-$6k discounts here.

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

my Hmmmm comment was about all the sky is falling posts about the Mach E sales numbers. 

absolutely unreal what incentivizing can do to product thats tough to move isnt it?....

Edited by Deanh