Electric Capri Crossover Spied

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

I get back to Ford just can’t connect with its regional customers and it’s exactly as you painted, this new designer

was supposed to do wonderful things but sorry, I’m not seeing it in these designs…

Hey, everyone is entitled to their say but I think the Oakville areo styling would have suited Euro tastes better

and keep these bulbous styles for the North American three row twins….

A ton of Ford's ideas these last few years are these ideas that sound great on paper, and just fall apart with the execution. It's relatively well known that Europe tends to prefer more daring designs. So I agree with you, the decision to give Europe the chunky, Americanized designs, and America the funky and artistic designs sounds like someone got some wires crossed.

As for names, again, I just don't get it. Why Ford keeps putting sport car names on SUVs blows my mind. It would still piss a lot of people off, but Galaxie sounds like a perfect name to put on a new performance EV. It sounds futuristic, it's not going to upset as many people as calling a crossover a mustang. But they keep picking these names that your average consumer won't really remember, like Capri, but that will piss off the hardcore enthusiasts, who are the only people who really know what a Capri is. 

Sad to hear this new designer is kinda dropping the ball, I assume that means you've seen other upcoming designs beyond the three rows, and aren't very impressed with what he's producing. 

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

A ton of Ford's ideas these last few years are these ideas that sound great on paper, and just fall apart with the execution. It's relatively well known that Europe tends to prefer more daring designs. So I agree with you, the decision to give Europe the chunky, Americanized designs, and America the funky and artistic designs sounds like someone got some wires crossed.

As for names, again, I just don't get it. Why Ford keeps putting sport car names on SUVs blows my mind. It would still piss a lot of people off, but Galaxie sounds like a perfect name to put on a new performance EV. It sounds futuristic, it's not going to upset as many people as calling a crossover a mustang. But they keep picking these names that your average consumer won't really remember, like Capri, but that will piss off the hardcore enthusiasts, who are the only people who really know what a Capri is. 

Sad to hear this new designer is kinda dropping the ball, I assume that means you've seen other upcoming designs beyond the three rows, and aren't very impressed with what he's producing. 

I’m not that connected, just get a few bits here and there, Ford may do a lot  better sales wise  than I think,

I hope so anyway but as you said, they seem to have their wires crossed on styling at the moment…

I don’t think it’s the designer so much as top down “advice” on styling direction, small changes make huge impact

and getting proportions right is the most difficult, execute correctly and designs look fantastic, slightly off and it flops.

Edited by jpd80

9 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

The people it pisses off wont buy them anyway so no harm there.  If it helps with new sales then it’s a good idea.

9 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

As for names, again, I just don't get it. Why Ford keeps putting sport car names on SUVs blows my mind. It would still piss a lot of people off, but Galaxie sounds like a perfect name to put on a new performance EV. It sounds futuristic, it's not going to upset as many people as calling a crossover a mustang. But they keep picking these names that your average consumer won't really remember, like Capri, but that will piss off the hardcore enthusiasts, who are the only people who really know what a Capri is

The Capri originally was a Lincoln model from 1952-59. The Capri was the top trim and later moved to the standard trim as the Premier and Continental were introduced. The one folks like to remember was the Cortina-based 1970-77 Mercury Capri,  which was a really solid car and gave Americans a taste of what was lacking in the US Ford Maverick. Last one was the 1989-93 Australian built Mercury Capri two seater, which was a forgettable car and soon was.  I had a '90 for a time as a demo while selling at an F-L-M store. Cute, but underpowered.

1952-lincoln-capri-for-sale-on-hemmings-com.jpg.webp copy.jpg

1973_Capri_2600_Enhanced.jpg

Mercury-Capri.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

The Capri originally was a Lincoln model from 1952-59. The Capri was the top trim and later moved to the standard trim as the Premier and Continental were introduced. The one folks like to remember was the Cortina-based 1970-77 Mercury Capri,  which was a really solid car and gave Americans a taste of what was lacking in the US Ford Maverick. Last one was the 1989-93 Australian built Mercury Capri two seater, which was a forgettable car and soon was.  I had a '90 for a time as a demo while selling at an F-L-M store. Cute, but underpowered.

1952-lincoln-capri-for-sale-on-hemmings-com.jpg.webp copy.jpg

1973_Capri_2600_Enhanced.jpg

Mercury-Capri.jpg

You forgot to mention the foxbody Capri.  It was just a Mustang clone, but I liked it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The people it pisses off wont buy them anyway so no harm there.  If it helps with new sales then it’s a good idea.

If humans were more logical and not easily influenced by emotions, I’d agree completely with your statement above.  Logically it should not matter that Ford called Mach-E a Mustang for the reason you gave.

However, I don’t believe it’s that simple because issue is not limited to Mach-E as pure logic would suggest.  Some people (unknown quantity) who are passionate about automobiles may hold it against Ford as a brand to have used the Mustang name for a 4-door SUV.  It’s probably a small number but reputation and brand loyalty does matter.  I personally didn’t like it, but can’t say to what degree it adversely affected me (too subjective an issue to quantify).

Maybe Ford should start naming eSUVs after shopping malls, the MOA, Somerset Collection, Ridgemar etc. Badge engineered for each region. More identifiable than resurrected names from the past. I mean how relevant is an island in the Sea of Naples?

Ford has also copyrighted "Skyline" for the North American market. Can't wait.

Edited by Chrisgb

It's got the stubby high-waisted look of the ID5 which I hate. Hopefully some contrasting black/gloss black bits makes it look better than the VW it's based on.
ford-ev-crossover-spy-photo.jpg
I was wishing they'd at least make it sleeker/lower like a Polestar 2.
2021-polestar-2-exterior.jpg

Ford Capri
2009-172153-ford-capri1.jpg 

Looks like the camo on the prototype is covering rounded quarter windows that mimic the shape of the Capri coupe's rear side windows.

Edited by AM222

2 hours ago, akirby said:

But here's the thing, it made sense, as much as we don't want to accept it, with the mustang mach-e, because everyone knows what a mustang is. So while there's a considerable amount of people who were annoyed by the decision, there were also people who had a mustang in their youth, and wanted a more practical one now that they had families and such. 

But if you went up to your average person on the street, and said, Capri, maverick, Thunderbird, very few people wouldn't know what you're talking about. Those names have been lost to history, at least in terms of the cultural mainstream. You might come across the occasional casual who remembers what they were, but it would be quite rare. The only people who remember them are enthusiasts.

The only point in bringing back a classic name for a product is to give your product a competitive advantage. It's not a competitive advantage if no-one even remembers the name, and it only serves to piss off the people who do. Capri and Thunderbird aren't even interesting sounding names, Thunderbird sounds like something a 3 yr old came up with, it's never been a good name, and Capri just sounds generic. I'll give Ford credit, at least maverick is a good name by itself, and fits the character of their small truck. I'm not a staunch traditionalist, I just want effort to go into a product. I can't stand half assed products that rely on nostalgia names and ideas to move them off the lot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

But if you went up to your average person on the street, and said, Capri, maverick, Thunderbird, very few people wouldn't know what you're talking about. Those names have been lost to history, at least in terms of the cultural mainstream.

Maybe in North America. The Capri is more popular in Europe for obvious reasons. The Capri crossover EV coupe will be sold where the Capri is seen as a classic. 

Edited by AM222

3 hours ago, Rick73 said:

If humans were more logical and not easily influenced by emotions, I’d agree completely with your statement above.  Logically it should not matter that Ford called Mach-E a Mustang for the reason you gave.

However, I don’t believe it’s that simple because issue is not limited to Mach-E as pure logic would suggest.  Some people (unknown quantity) who are passionate about automobiles may hold it against Ford as a brand to have used the Mustang name for a 4-door SUV.  It’s probably a small number but reputation and brand loyalty does matter.  I personally didn’t like it, but can’t say to what degree it adversely affected me (too subjective an issue to quantify).

Don’t tell me someone who would have otherwise bought a F150 is going to go buy a Ram because they don’t think Mach-E should be called Mustang.  And a Mustang enthusiast will bitch about it but will still buy a mustang.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AM222 said:

I was wishing they'd at least make it sleeker/lower like a Polestar 2.

Yeah, quite a bit of difference if Capri is similar to VW ID-5.  It is listed at 63.5 inches; and ID-4 SUV at 64.5 inches.  The Polestar 2 is 58.2 inches, making it much closer to a Tesla Model 3.  If you recall the tallest new sedans from BMW and Mercedes were ~ 61-inch tall, but much longer.  The shorter Capri length makes it look even taller to me.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Capri is every bit as classic in Europe as Mustang is in America.

I guess we'll see in time if they're strategy works out. The issue is the mach-e is a genuinely good vehicle, not perfect, as stated by jd80, but decent. While the vw based models aren't terrible, they're pretty lack luster. It just seems like if you're gonna capitalize off reviving a performance and aspirational product, the bare minimum is to make said product look great, and perform well. Performance specs I saw for VW's platform stated the faster versions of this platform do 0-60 in about 6.4 seconds, that's basically the same time you get in a Prius these days. That's not great if they're trying to position this as a fun, aspirational, great to drive sporty EV. 

If they take the camo off, and it actually looks decent, and performs better than that, great, I'll take it back. I'm not a staunch traditionalist, my truck shares a name with a classic muscle car, I'm one of 3 entire people on the face of the planet that doesn't hate the mach-e being called a mustang. But that's because the maverick and mach-e are genuinely great products. 

I just ask if you're going to revive an iconic name, you make that product a knock out, something that elevates the brand. I just really hate brands putting out uninspired products, and slapping a recognizable name onto it make it seem more appealing that it actually is. 

9 hours ago, akirby said:

Don’t tell me someone who would have otherwise bought a F150 is going to go buy a Ram because they don’t think Mach-E should be called Mustang.  And a Mustang enthusiast will bitch about it but will still buy a mustang.

A lot of people are fickle. I'll try not to get too political here, but case in point, back when Ford maybe the rainbow raptor, so many comments were talking about how they drive a Ford, but wouldn't buy a new one. Are some of those people lying? Probably, but not all of them. If something so minor could sway purchasing decisions, I could understand how messing with naming conventions, and in some people's minds, history, could turn some buyers off. 

I personally see great potential with the mustang, and bronco becoming sub-brands, and using that name on other products. My biggest criticism is almost that they didn't do enough with it. They made it sound like there were other bronco models, like a bronco EV or pickup in development, or other mustang models beyond the mach-e and s650. Then overnight, it seemed like they just killed that idea. Many of us expected things like a "Shelby" mach-e, or mustang sedans, and haven't gotten any of that. Just another case of great ideas from Ford that end up going nowhere. 

7 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I guess we'll see in time if they're strategy works out. The issue is the mach-e is a genuinely good vehicle, not perfect, as stated by jd80, but decent. While the vw based models aren't terrible, they're pretty lack luster.

In the case of the Mach e,  Ford still makes the traditional 2-door Mustang. The iconic Capri name will return only as a stubby SUV coupe built on a VW architecture. 

Will Ford ever bring back the 2 door Capri coupe? 

CapriRS3100.jpg

Maybe not,  but Toyota and Honda will be using sports cars and coupes to boost their EV image. 

Edited by AM222

11 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Yeah, quite a bit of difference if Capri is similar to VW ID-5.  It is listed at 63.5 inches; and ID-4 SUV at 64.5 inches.  The Polestar 2 is 58.2 inches, making it much closer to a Tesla Model 3.  If you recall the tallest new sedans from BMW and Mercedes were ~ 61-inch tall, but much longer.  The shorter Capri length makes it look even taller to me.

Like the ID.5 and to a degree the Mach E, the Capri EV crossover coupe has a low ground clearance and a fat body which makes it tall.

VW ID.5 Length: 181.1in, height: 63.5in
2022-volkswagen-id.5.jpg

Polestar 2 Length:181.3in, height: 58.3in
2024-polestar-2.jpg

While some describe the Polestar 2 as an EV positioned between a car and a crossover, I can't help but feel this is a better representation of a Capri crossover coupe.
If I was Ford, I would have just called its ID.5-based Capri something else, like Edge EV.

Polestar 2's battery modules with pouch cells allows it to have a low floor, but requires it to have a tunnel though. 
1603704649-powertrainrotationmaster-2.jp

I hope the next gen Ford EV platform that will replace the current VW MEB-based one will be better. 

I'm not a big fan of EV SUVs that are basically sedans sitting on a 5-inch-thick battery pack. No extra ground clearance, just the extra overall height gained because the passenger cell was pushed up to make room for a thick battery pack.

Edited by AM222

5 hours ago, AM222 said:

I'm not a big fan of EV SUVs that are basically sedans sitting on a 5-inch-thick battery pack. No extra ground clearance, just the extra overall height gained because the passenger cell was pushed up to make room for a thick battery pack.

I don't think its a battery pack issue-look at the Tesla sedans...they don't have excessive H points...its a styling/engineering choice. 

Just as an example-the ID7 is only about 2 inches taller than a Fusion was. 

7 hours ago, AM222 said:

I hope the next gen Ford EV platform that will replace the current VW MEB-based one will be better. 

From pictures you posted above, I like ID-5 better than Polestar 2, in part because wheelbase looks longer combined with shorter overhangs.  However, given that ID-5 wheelbase is only 1.2 inches longer, I would guess wheelbase appears exaggerated because pictures may have been taken from different distances.

Anyway, I just read that Musk told Giga Berlin workers recently that they would be manufacturing the smaller upcoming Tesla (model 2) along with Model Y.  Apparently Berlin plant has more capacity than Texas, and Mexico is behind schedule.  Mostly, analyst think Berlin may be first because Europeans prefer smaller, cheaper, and more energy efficient vehicles. 

I found interesting that description of the upcoming Tesla Model “2” is very similar to what I hoped it would be; though there is no way of knowing report accuracy.

“Delving into the potential design of the Model 2, the fund manager said it will be “highly attractive.” He said the Model 2 should resemble the Model 3 but be a hatchback and the size of a Toyota Corolla. According to the analyst, this will establish price/value parameters and minimize the cannibalization of Model 3.“

I’ve never liked using another models name on a vehicle. If you are making a good quality product that people want, the name doesn’t matter. Look at teslas or bmws, their names are just letters and numbers. When you use another models name, that tells me that you don’t believe your product will sell on its own and it needs help. If you don’t believe in your own product, why should I believe in it as a customer?

1 hour ago, Rick73 said:

“Delving into the potential design of the Model 2, the fund manager said it will be “highly attractive.” He said the Model 2 should resemble the Model 3 but be a hatchback and the size of a Toyota Corolla. According to the analyst, this will establish price/value parameters and minimize the cannibalization of Model 3.“

Regarding the bolded text above, is this even possible?  I don’t understand how the Model 2 can be both.  Does that fund manager really believe that the Model 3 is highly attractive?

On 11/12/2023 at 12:16 AM, DeluxeStang said:

I've posted this many times here, but I thing GalaxiE spelled this way with the "E" is a missed opportunity.

2 hours ago, CurtisH said:

Regarding the bolded text above, is this even possible?  I don’t understand how the Model 2 can be both.  Does that fund manager really believe that the Model 3 is highly attractive?

You know what they say about beauty…. ? 

I like the way Model 3 looks, especially the upgraded Highland version, so can say I would not resist buying one based on it being “unattractive”.  I like how it looks and drives well enough, but it’s too large for my needs, and I don’t like that it only has screen in center of dash.  That doesn’t work well for me.  I also find it awkward to get in and out of driver’s seat, and I don’t believe it’s due to seat height though it is lower than my most recent vehicles.  I think I would adapt.

Speculation has been that “Model 2” will be a smaller version of the SUV Model Y, which makes more sense to me to compare directly except for size.  If Tesla can scale their most popular (3 row) Model Y to size of a Corolla (at least to 70” W), making length ~ 172” L and height ~ 59” H, and maintain general shape, low Cd, and hatch design, it could be a game changer if price is +/- 25,000 Euro (~ $27,000 US).

It’s true that Y looks bloated compared to 3, but if slightly taller body makes it roomier for its size, I’d prefer that.  It seems my tastes are more European in that I also value function and efficiency over appearance more so than other Americans.  I’m saying this based on what I’ve read about European buyers preferring compact, cheaper and more utilitarian vehicles than Americans.