Ford December/Q4/2023 Sales Results

53 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The strike didn’t do dick to hurt Ranger sales. There’s barely been any built since the end of July shutdown. 

But without the strike wouldn’t you have started building new ones a couple of months ago?

Edited by akirby

20 minutes ago, Dequindre said:

Are dealers just clearing their lots of remaining Edges, or is it experiencing a bit of a resurgence in popularity? 

They had massive incentive on them at the end of the year. $8500 worth which is more than the $7500 F-150 had on it. 

1 hour ago, Oacjay98 said:

April 26 last day of Edge production.

That EOP date keeps getting pushed back and back further.

Ending the Edge is still one of the biggest bonehead decisions I’ve ever witnessed.

All I keep hearing is the Explorer and the 7-seater BEV will be taking up the volume lost by the Edge. All the Edge needed was a complete redesign with an eye catching design that would rejuvenate interest even more. Make no mistake it’s making a ton of money even with all the incentives right now.

Edited by ExplorerDude
  • Like 7

49 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

All I keep hearing is the Explorer and the 7-seater BEV will be taking up the volume lost by the Edge. All the Edge needed was a complete redesign with an eye catching design that would rejuvenate interest even more. Make no mistake it’s making a ton of money even with all the incentives right now.

I think it just boils down to timing-if a brand new Edge came out in the US at this moment, it would have to stay in production till 2034 or so to be profitable. Not sure how successful the CN Edge would do here either. 

2 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

Ending the Edge is still one of the biggest bonehead decisions I’ve ever witnessed.

I couldn’t agree with you more.  I just hope this situation plays out successfully. We are building 750-800 units a day. 15-16 hours production if DPR is achieved.  We had a layoff week then Christmas holidays back for four days then 2 week layoff in January. No idea if we will have more downtime before retool starts. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I think it just boils down to timing-if a brand new Edge came out in the US at this moment, it would have to stay in production till 2034 or so to be profitable. Not sure how successful the CN Edge would do here either. 

I hear you and I agree but it’s deeper for me. The cultural ignorance of so many decisions is the same “rot” that has doomed so many beloved nameplates over the years. The launch and abandon mindset is built into the culture. It was almost eradicated under Mulally but it grew back.

Had Ford followed through with the original plan for a CD6F based Edge, it would’ve been out for MY2022 almost 3 years ago. When the CD6F Edge was shelved in 2020 that’s when China started to develop their own C2 Edge (and Nautilus).

The company just can’t stay focused. Things get boring and change direction when the wind blows in a different direction. Mulally was adamant about consistency and continuous improvement but with Ford the lesson is never learned. I’m sorry I could go on for hours on this.

Edited by ExplorerDude
  • Like 15

49 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

I hear you and I agree but it’s deeper for me. The cultural ignorance of so many decisions is the same “rot” that has doomed so many beloved nameplates over the years. The launch and abandon mindset is built into the culture. It was almost eradicated under Mulally but it grew back.

Had Ford followed through with the original plan for a CD6F based Edge, it would’ve been out for MY2022 almost 3 years ago. When the CD6F Edge was shelved in 2020 that’s when China started to develop their own C2 Edge (and Nautilus).

The company just can’t stay focused. Things get boring and change direction when the wind blows in a different direction. Mulally was adamant about consistency and continuance improvement but with Ford the lesson is never learned. I’m sorry I could go on for hours on this.

Alternatively, if Ford had just picked and stuck with a C2 Edge/Nautilus from get go,

then it would have justified a full product cycle.

Rumour was the CD6 Edge proportions and styling were a bit off, such a shame because 

if the original project had been developed as short/medium/long wheelbase Explorer

the cost would have been way less and delivered years ago….such is the way of Ford..

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Alternatively, if Ford had just picked and stuck with a C2 Edge/Nautilus from get go,

then it would have justified a full product cycle.

Rumour was the CD6 Edge proportions and styling were a bit off, such a shame because 

if the original project had been developed as short/medium/long wheelbase Explorer

the cost would have been way less and delivered years ago….such is the way of Ford..

As much as us enthusiasts would have liked a RWD edge I think the C2 version would have been more successful.

I think this is Farley’s personality showing in product decisions. Going too fast on new things and having to stop and change direction when issues come up or something more enticing.  Ditching Edge and Nautilus for BEVs instead of building a new plant, then ditching the Rivian deal before it really got started (severe lack of due diligence on that one), starting then stopping the VW platform.  Too much short term thinking trying to go too fast.

• Like 11

15 hours ago, akirby said:

People buying them before they’re gone.

Scarcity is often an effective form of persuasion for sure. 

14 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

I have no idea what the hell Ford is doing. It sounds like the new three row EVs are certainly more eye catching than the edge, but are undeniably more polarizing as well. The mach-e is struggling to sell, and it's a genuinely desirable product. I have no idea how two funky circus projects are gonna sell as well as the mach-e does, let alone get anywhere close to the volume the edge has achieved. Maybe if they're stunningly affordable they could do well, but then that just means ford's back to competing on cost again, which they didn't want to be doing moving forward. 

I want to be wrong, but it seems like they've botched the development of the three rows. I wouldn't be surprised if Farley is gone in a few years at this rate.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, akirby said:

As much as us enthusiasts would have liked a RWD edge I think the C2 version would have been more successful.

I think this is Farley’s personality showing in product decisions. Going too fast on new things and having to stop and change direction when issues come up or something more enticing.  Ditching Edge and Nautilus for BEVs instead of building a new plant, then ditching the Rivian deal before it really got started (severe lack of due diligence on that one), starting then stopping the VW platform.  Too much short term thinking trying to go too fast.

I’m furious that ford ditched our edge and nautilus l, I felt they could’ve made them hybrids and continued on in new form not China import Lincoln. I’m  also hopeful that these mystery 7 seaters do well.  What I want to know is what’s taking Ford so long to take the tarp off and show us what they look like. They were announced 5 years ago! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don’t know exactly. I’ve heard a bunch of rumors but nothing concrete enough to share. 

Maybe it’s a part issue? The Ranger is still a desirable product.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Yeah, I think C2 would've been just fine for it, and they could've spiced it up with a performance oriented tune on a hybrid model or something.

12 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

The company just can’t stay focused. Things get boring and change direction when the wind blows in a different direction. Mulally was adamant about consistency and continuous improvement but with Ford the lesson is never learned. I’m sorry I could go on for hours on this.

100% agree - they change directions far too often.

We criticize GM for coming out with a bunch of duplicate products and/or ones with questionable business cases, but at least when they set their mind to doing something, they stick with it, even if the model winds up cancelled after a generation.  Meanwhile Ford stops and starts programs like a kid eating cake and candy at a birthday party.

• Like 4